Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FBI CBC Rules Have Changed?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sireno

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: FBI CBC Rules Have Changed? Reply with quote

Hello. I have as a few weeks ago sent in my prints for the FBI background check. Unknown to me it seems rules have changed in the past few years and that it's not as simple as before. What must I do at this time? Do I need to have the FBI Check notarized by the Department of State? What about the apostille? Can I call them up and ask them to do this for me? I didn't include any information about that in what I sent to them.

Assistance would be very appreciated. Thank you!
Porksta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is still pretty simple. Send your fingerprints into the FBI and in a couple of months they send them back.
Sireno

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I made an error before. The thing that is causing me to worry is that some people are saying the background check must be notarized/apostilled by the Federal Level Department of State? Is that correct? Or can I still just receive the background check, take it into my local secretary of state and have it notarized/apostilled there?
young_clinton

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sireno wrote:
Sorry, I made an error before. The thing that is causing me to worry is that some people are saying the background check must be notarized/apostilled by the Federal Level Department of State? Is that correct? Or can I still just receive the background check, take it into my local secretary of state and have it notarized/apostilled there?

First you have to recieve a FBI CBC that has an official seal and signature on it. This is done by sending a letter along with the application stating that the CBC needs an official seal.

Once you have the FBI CBC with the official seal you then must send it to be apostilled by the US State Dept.
Sireno

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh. I didn't ask for the FBI to officially sign and put a seal on it. Can I call and ask them to do that? How do I contact them? Where can I find their phone number?
Sireno

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I called the FBI CJIS at 304-625-2910 ext 5590 for customer service.

They told me I have to wait until my prints are starting to be processed and then to call back again. Then I will have to fax a request in asking for the background check to be authenticated for apostille by the federal government.
Porksta

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had to request that.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porksta wrote:

Yes you did if you obtained a job in Korea after October 2010. You had to send a letter along with your CBC application asking for the FBI seal and signature.
Wiltern

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:
First you have to recieve a FBI CBC that has an official seal and signature on it. This is done by sending a letter along with the application stating that the CBC needs an official seal.

I heard for those who didn't send a letter for the official seal, it's possible to get it notarized before the apostille. True?
young_clinton

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiltern wrote:
young_clinton wrote:

I heard for those who didn't send a letter for the official seal, it's possible to get it notarized before the apostille. True?

If it's still being processed FAX the FBI a letter stating that you want the CBC to have a FBI seal and signature.

If it's already been sent to you, there's nothing you can do but apply for another one and include the letter along with the application.
Porksta

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:
Porksta wrote:

Yes you did if you obtained a job in Korea after October 2010. You had to send a letter along with your CBC application asking for the FBI seal and signature.

I have done it twice post 2010 - never had to send a letter.
jeanie_n

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: FBI CBC Rules Have Changed? Reply with quote

Sireno wrote:
Hello. I have as a few weeks ago sent in my prints for the FBI background check. Unknown to me it seems rules have changed in the past few years and that it's not as simple as before. What must I do at this time? Do I need to have the FBI Check notarized by the Department of State? What about the apostille? Can I call them up and ask them to do this for me? I didn't include any information about that in what I sent to them.

Assistance would be very appreciated. Thank you!

Someone asked a similar question on the EPIK Spring 2013 Facebook page. This was the EPIK Coordinator's response: "Diploma's AND FBI checks can all be apostilled at the state level and that is perfectly acceptable. You only have to get the apostille for the FBI check done through the Department of Authentications if you wish to be recommended to Seoul. Seoul requires all FBI checks to have the apostille from the Department of Authentications. They will not accept an FBI check with a state level apostille. Additionally, some applicants may not be able to secure the state level apostille as each state is different. Some states will apostille federal documents and some will not. Each applicant should contact their secretary of state and ask if they will apostille a federal document. If so, great, it will be much faster for you. However, if not, then you would have to send it to D.C."

I did include a note asking the FBI to authenticate my CRC with a seal and signature, however some other people forgot to and have had no problem calling in to request it. Note that they are no longer providing a raised seal and ink signature. Both the signature and stamp are digital now. Once I received that back, I sent it directly to the Department of Authentications at the US Dept of State and received it back with an apostille 4 weeks later. Hope that helps!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: