Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Economist Comments on Korean Beer: It Sucks!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FDNY

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: The Economist Comments on Korean Beer: It Sucks! Reply with quote

http://www.economist.com/news/business/21567120-dull-duopoly-crushes-microbrewers-fiery-food-boring-beer

Stupid laws, primitive palates, moronic duties = Crap beer.
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korean beer is disgraceful and disgusting. The CU marts (or whatever used to be Family Mart) have specials on certain foreign beers on Fridays, like Asahi. Not having to pay $5 for a decent tall boy one day of the week is a comfort we should praise Korea for.
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: hm Reply with quote

The beers are bad, but I must say OB is noticeably better tasting than both Cass and Hite. Then, they say Hite Dry Finish is a step in the right direction?? That beer tastes worse than Cass and the regular Hite. It looks like its not entirely the Korean people at fault for the bad beer. It is their government that is stopping the progression of good tasting beer.
JustinC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Korean taxman treats malt, hops and yeast as beer ingredients, which are subject to low import duties."

Nothing in that article points to an obvious reason why the beer market is monopolized by just two players

"Until 2011, regulations required all brewers to have enough capacity to brew well over 1m litres at a time."

That's not really a huge amount in a country of 50 million, where having a few beers isn't exactly frowned upon.
Hugo85

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustinC wrote:
"The Korean taxman treats malt, hops and yeast as beer ingredients, which are subject to low import duties."

Nothing in that article points to an obvious reason why the beer market is monopolized by just two players

"Until 2011, regulations required all brewers to have enough capacity to brew well over 1m litres at a time."

That's not really a huge amount in a country of 50 million, where having a few beers isn't exactly frowned upon.

Selling 2 million tallboys a year on your first year is a big investment and requires a big distribution chain. It makes sure that no one can start small and grow, one has to be big right away.
everything-is-everything

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: hm Reply with quote

nicwr2002 wrote:
The beers are bad, but I must say OB is noticeably better tasting

true, but they gotta change that name. It sounds too much like BO Laughing
FDNY

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has seriously been years since I have drunk a Korean beer. With the availability of other MUCH better beers now, why drink garbage? However, when I\'m drinking 7Brau IPA in my local, I see many foreigners still ordering 500cc Cass. I guess it must be a money thing.
JustinC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hugo85 wrote:
Selling 2 million tallboys a year on your first year is a big investment and requires a big distribution chain. It makes sure that no one can start small and grow, one has to be big right away.

oh Absolut-ly, you wanna Havana big name brewery - one that's still cool Budweiser in making drink, with a big marketing budget so people see the ads and say "Coors!"
big enough so they have the Stones and Heineken muscle into established markets.

Now I need a beer.
Savant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustinC wrote:
Hugo85 wrote:

oh Absolut-ly, you wanna Havana big name brewery - one that's still cool Budweiser in making drink, with a big marketing budget so people see the ads and say "Coors!"
big enough so they have the Stones and Heineken muscle into established markets.

Now I need a beer.

I'll drink to that with a bottle of Ale.
12ax7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: hm Reply with quote

nicwr2002 wrote:
The beers are bad, but I must say OB is noticeably better tasting than both Cass and Hite. Then, they say Hite Dry Finish is a step in the right direction?? That beer tastes worse than Cass and the regular Hite. It looks like its not entirely the Korean people at fault for the bad beer. It is their government that is stopping the progression of good tasting beer.

Not entirely the government's fault since they produce Hoegarden and Carlsberg here. Not amazing beers, but several degrees better than the local breweries' normal brews.
kcmo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koreans for the most part only view alcohol as something to get drunk with, not something to savor and enjoy; until those views change good beer will never be widely popular here. Quite sad really.
deizio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just enjoying a take-home bottle of Craftworks pale ale that someone brought round last night but didnt open and left in the fridge. My kind of guest.
furtakk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kcmo wrote:
Koreans for the most part only view alcohol as something to get drunk with, not something to savor and enjoy; until those views change good beer will never be widely popular here. Quite sad really.

This.

Anyhow, if you live in one of the bigger cities (especially Seoul) it's really easy to avoid drinking crappy beer. Every big 'nightlife' neighborhood has at least a couple of craft breweries and even more places that sell craft beer. Even the convenience stores (in Seoul) have a similar amount of variety as the Homeplus/Emart during my first year in Korea to be honest. A lot of those 맥주창고 type places have also opened up where you have relatively cheap options for bottles.
12ax7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

furtakk wrote:
kcmo wrote:

This.

Anyhow, if you live in one of the bigger cities (especially Seoul) it's really easy to avoid drinking crappy beer. Every big 'nightlife' neighborhood has at least a couple of craft breweries and even more places that sell craft beer. Even the convenience stores (in Seoul) have a similar amount of variety as the Homeplus/Emart during my first year in Korea to be honest. A lot of those 맥주창고 type places have also opened up where you have relatively cheap options for bottles.

You don't need to live in a metropolis to get good beer. Most large chain convenience stores offer a selection of imports at reasonable prices, so do all large supermarkets. It's not the 90s anymore, you know. Back then, the only imports you could get practically anywhere had "accidentally" fallen off a truck on their way to a USFK base, not that you'd want to drink the stuff (Coors Lite, Budweiser,...).
young_clinton

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they import Korean beers into the USA? Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: