Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gangnam Nationalism: Psy�s anti-American rap
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GENO123

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Gangnam Nationalism: Psy�s anti-American rap Reply with quote

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2012/12/07/gangnam-nationalism-why-psys-anti-american-rap-shouldnt-surprise-you/

http://busanhaps.com/article/exclusive-psys-once-passionate-protesting-past
comm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really more of an anti-U.S. Imperialism rap than anti-American. Were I in his shoes, I'd probably feel the same way. Maybe we could get China to put a few big military bases in U.S. cities... let them drive tanks and APCs around our streets and have the Chinese soldiers only sometimes be subject to American law.

That's probably what it'll take to give most Americans some perspective on how the world sees our military.
nautilus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

comm wrote:
Maybe we could get China to put a few big military bases in U.S. cities... let them drive tanks and APCs around our streets and have the Chinese soldiers only sometimes be subject to American law.

US troops remain in the ROK by the invitation and consent of the Korean people.

To quote Rumsfeld "We can be gone in a day if you want".
visitorq

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nautilus wrote:
comm wrote:
Maybe we could get China to put a few big military bases in U.S. cities... let them drive tanks and APCs around our streets and have the Chinese soldiers only sometimes be subject to American law.

US troops remain in the ROK by the invitation and consent of the Korean people.

To quote Rumsfeld "We can be gone in a day if you want".

You sure about that? Has there ever been a referendum in Korea on just this issue?

And how about the consent of the American people who are footing the bill?
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No president running on the US pulling out of the ROK has one an election. The UPP this election is the closest... and they are garnering around .5% in the polls.

Close enough to a referendum to me.
nautilus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VisitorQ wrote:
Has there ever been a referendum in Korea on just this issue?

The 2002 election was basically a peoples referendum. President Roh won based on his anti-americanism.

He started to negociate for US troop withdrawal. He also bolstered the sunshine policy toward the norks.

It was only when Rumsfeld actually agreed and started to reduce the number of US troops, while the DPRK started to test cruise missiles, that Roh panicked and did a volte-face.

Quote:
Washington Post March 16 2003
"the prime minister of South Korea's two-week-old government made an unusual public plea to the U.S. ambassador on March 6 not to remove American forces"
http://old.post-gazette.com/World/20030316skorea0316p6.asp

Basically the naive/spoiled Korean post-war generation (of which PSY is a part) were jolted out of their daydreams and forced to admit they need the US.

Its sad though to think that after a beneficial and costly alliance of 60 years, many Koreans probably view America as nothing more than a necessary evil.
Zackback

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds pretty ungrateful to me.
visitorq

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
No president running on the US pulling out of the ROK has one an election. The UPP this election is the closest... and they are garnering around .5% in the polls.

How is that "close enough to a referendum"?? How do you know people voted specifically on that issue?

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of Koreans do support the US military presence (since it protects them from the north, and it's not on their dime), but let's not pretend the Korean people have formally spoken on this issue, when that is clearly not the case.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

comm wrote:

That's probably what it'll take to give most Americans some perspective on how the world sees our military.

Do you put it this way because you don't know what you're talking about or you're just shading the truth for the shock effect?
Scorpion

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

comm wrote:
Really more of an anti-U.S. Imperialism rap than anti-American. Were I in his shoes, I'd probably feel the same way. Maybe we could get China to put a few big military bases in U.S. cities... let them drive tanks and APCs around our streets and have the Chinese soldiers only sometimes be subject to American law.

The stupidest post on this subject I've seen yet.
Titus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koreans are good natured but tend towards extremely emotional over reactions that can go on a long time (like the name of that blog "Gusts of Popular Feeling). I give the guy a pass.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visitorq wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:

How is that "close enough to a referendum"?? How do you know people voted specifically on that issue?

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of Koreans do support the US military presence (since it protects them from the north, and it's not on their dime), but let's not pretend the Korean people have formally spoken on this issue, when that is clearly not the case.

There have been polls... but as far as I know, they don't hold a lot of formal referendums like the one you're talking about.

Generally speaking, elections hold that card here in Korea. School lunches - election on the Ed Super. Construction development - elect the mayor you want.

And with the two main parties being so close on many issues now, North korea is one of the few areas where they differ.

Like I said, if people want to have a pro-North president, one who doesn't like US troops here (and the FTA) - they've got their candidate. She certainly made an impression in the last debate. lol

Now, that may not be close enough to a referendum to you, but notice how I didn't say it as an absolute? Notice how I said it was close enough for me?

Perhaps if you actually read what I write - or quote it correctly, you might do better at responding to me. As it is though, I know how much you love to troll.
visitorq

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Now, that may not be close enough to a referendum to you, but notice how I didn't say it as an absolute? Notice how I said it was close enough for me?

Perhaps if you actually read what I write - or quote it correctly, you might do better at responding to me. As it is though, I know how much you love to troll.

Yeah, because what you think is really the central issue here Rolling Eyes

And for someone who likes to accuse me of throwing the first stone, you sure could've left the last part out (in which case I probably would've just ignored you).
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visitorq wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:

Yeah, because what you think is really the central issue here Rolling Eyes

And for someone who likes to accuse me of throwing the first stone, you sure could've left the last part out (in which case I probably would've just ignored you).

Possibly, or you could have quoted me properly.

If you didn't give a toss what I thought, why the heck reply to me to begin with?? lol

Again, if you're looking to have a discussion with me, please be so kind as to actually respond to what I say - not what you think I say.

Here, this was my response to the subject.

Quote:

-------------------

nautilus wrote:

The 2002 election was basically a peoples referendum.

How was that any different from any election? Is 2012 NOT a people's referendum?
visitorq

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Again, if you're looking to have a discussion with me, please be so kind as to actually respond to what I say - not what you think I say.

I couldn't care less what you say. Nor am I interested in having a "discussion" with you. I'm just addressing whichever points/claims I deem relevant. That's all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: