Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Verifying Korean work experience after the job ends

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vamessedup

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Verifying Korean work experience after the job ends Reply with quote

I apologize in advance if this isn't the correct forum for this question, but I couldn't find a place that it fit better.

I lived and taught in Korea for a while and finished my contract in January of 2010. I've been home and working in the US for a couple years now. I'm currently in the process of getting hired for a new job and I'm having a little trouble verifying my employment in Korea. I no longer have or can find any contact information for anyone in Korea and never really got the particular documents HireRight is requesting (pay stubs, W2, 1099).

So far I've offered my job contract, copies of my 2555, copy of my E-2 visa & subsequent re-entry visas. I've yet to hear back if this is acceptable.

Anyone have any success in this department?

Similarly, if anyone has contact info for someone with the Daejeon Metropolitan Office of Education, I'd appreciate that too...

Thanks!
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Within 3 years of termination of employment you can request a "certificate of employment" from the employer to verify said employment.

Without contact information or a school name you're pretty much out of luck.
If it was with a public school then the local education office MAY be willing to sign one for you.

vamessedup

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did work for a public school. My problem now is that I have no way to contact anyone at the school or city office of education (which placed me in my public school).
newb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vamessedup wrote:
I did work for a public school. My problem now is that I have no way to contact anyone at the school or city office of education (which placed me in my public school).

Which program did you fall under EPIK, GEPIK, SMOE, etc.? Which city or province or local education office?

If you provide this info, someone here might be able to give you the contact info of the area coordinator who you can contact and get assistance.

Also, newbies should be reminded that you should get copies of employment verification (제직증명서) before leaving your school even though you don't think you'll ever need one. It only cost a few hundred won per officially sealed copy. Get one copy Korean and one in English (translated).
vamessedup

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Verifying Korean work experience after the job ends Reply with quote

I was placed by EPIK.

vamessedup wrote:

Similarly, if anyone has contact info for someone with the Daejeon Metropolitan Office of Education, I'd appreciate that too...

I've also contacted my recruiter to see if they have a number, the one they have is from 2009.
husker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current Daejeon DMOE Epik coordinator is Julie Kim at [email protected], 042-480-7924
timhorton

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always get a Certificate of Career upon completing a position.
vamessedup

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Husker: Thank you! Words cannot accurately express my appreciation.

TimHorton: Definitely good advice, but may not help someone if they're in a situation like mine. HireRight (a large 3rd party that confirms employment) specifically states that they need current contact info, pay slips or tax documents (W2, 1099).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: