Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please delete this.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roguefishfood

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Please delete this. Reply with quote

Please delete this.

Last edited by roguefishfood on Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
wylies99

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from EPIK?
CentralCali

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possible solutions:

• "We discussed it and have decided that I'll take the first semester, the other teacher will take the second semester."

• "Okay, we've discussed it and have decided that the other teacher will get all the fun of traveling to and fro."

• Don't stay for another year.

Seriously, those are the only choices I see. As to the compensation being eaten up mostly by transportation fees...well, that's the intent behind that compensation, isn't it? A 40 minute bus ride doesn't sound so bad. I've lived in Seoul and Busan, so 40 minutes or longer can easily be the norm if you're traveling through more than just a few Dong. Are you sure that bus alone is the quickest way to get to the place? Of course I'm not including taxis in the commute equation.

By the way, what's with the signing ceremony? I've been involved with South Korea for many years and have never seen nor heard of that for anyone other than a professional athlete.
Dodge7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ki-by-BO!
roguefishfood

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by roguefishfood on Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
schwa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would have quit if you knew this was pending?

I went from a short hop to work to a 40-minute commute last year & its not a big deal. Maybe you guys are overthinking this. Headquarters will decide if you dont.
YTMND

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ki-by-BO!

Or is it pronounced "ka-ba-bo"?

Looks like they add 위 and that gives the "i" sound, making it "kai-bai-bo".

가위바위보

At least, that's how I heard it, but it's interesting to see they spell it with 위.

As for the OP's situation, one person should refuse. Are you all renting your own place or is the school providing a place for each? If you really want to stay in that area, one person could live closer to the "other school", teach those classes, and then the other 2 teachers would teach 1 or 2 more classes than the teacher who moved to make up for the inconvenience.

This would keep everyone together. If one person leaves though, then the school has to hire another teacher. This might be good to use for negotiating and adding leverage. Perhaps, one teacher could work a shorter term and get another school. This would work if the one that wants to leave is renting their own place.
roguefishfood

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by roguefishfood on Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:40 pm; edited 3 times in total
YTMND

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Surprise! There's two of you and one of you is going to have a much more irritating year than the other due to no fault of your own

I am sorry, I misread your initial post. I thought there were 3 total and they only could hire 2 full-time.

With 2 total, that's even more absurd.

Is it possible to schedule morning classes for the other school and have them visit your current school? You would teach them for 2 hours, this would come to 3 classes each day.

I did this with GEPIK and all morning classes were reserved for visiting schools, as well as winter and summer camps. If you schedule more schools, then you could even get more classes and earn guaranteed overtime pay.

There's only one other school they can add to your schedule?
CentralCali

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're sorely mistaken if you think that the schools have any actual say in how you're assigned to multiple schools or even if you're transferred, whether you requested it or not. No doubt, someone at some point in the supevision change suggested the "solution" that's gotten you upset, but there's really no way for you to change the spending of a public school. I'd say the most likely source of that solution was at the POE level. You're not going to change that.
schwa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralCali is right. Its basically a non-negotiable management decision. Situations like this are becoming more common as public school programs downsize. You agree to go where you're reassigned or you can quit, its really that simple.
YTMND

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You agree to go where you're reassigned or you can quit, its really that simple.

This isn't an issue of quitting or following what management says. From what I understand, they are being asked to choose something for next contract period. There is nothing I know of which prevents either from not signing a second contract and getting another job with EPIK at a second school where both of them don't have to teach at 2 separate locations.
Squire

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of splitting it by semester

What do you know about this other school? It's actually quite nice doing multiple schools in a week. You don't get sick of seeing the same kids/teachers every day (and vice versa) and traveling to a different workplace on different days of the week really breaks the monotony up. It's a shame about the travel time, but it could be worth it if the school happens to be a small school will less students per class. Last year I traveled at least 40 minutes to my rural schools each way, and I never minded it because I knew my class sizes more than made up for the journey. You're onto something good when one of your 'big' classes has fewer than 20 students
Mix1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: District office forcing hunger-games-esque decision... Reply with quote

roguefishfood wrote:

-When did they decide this policy? Did they only decide it on Friday at 5:10PM, when it's too late to ask any questions before the weekend? Or did they decide it earlier and just email us so late so we couldn't pester them about it?

Bingo. A very common tactic here. They probably knew months ago.

Quote:
-Wouldn't the organized, professional thing to do have been to INFORM us BEFORE we agreed to work at the same school for another year, in case that changed our decision?

Yes, but you might have changed your decision. Getting it now? Organized and professional? Right...

I knew of a case in a different district where they had a group of teachers sign contracts, and the very next DAY they informed them that they would be forced to move out of their nice spacious apartments previously provided for them. Of course this plan was months in the making too.

As for budget cuts ... it's interesting that they can find enough money for stuff if they really want to. We can't pay you for your travel time, but we'll buy 1000 iPads for the school district employees, sorry... not for you though. But the cleaning ajumma's daughter gets one because she's cute.

So many people say there's nothing you can do (and they may be right half the time). In other words, just accept it and wait for the next inconvenience they lay on you (example: next they remove the travel compensation altogether). Every inconvenience you accept, they'll be ready with 10 more down the road.

The default behavior is to just fold...but It just depends on how much backbone you have and how much you want to roll the dice and if you think the battle is worth it. If you are the type to play hardball then maybe suggest they double the compensation or neither of you can do it. They likely lowballed you on the compensation anyway and the budget was probably more than what they told you and someone else is scraping it off the top.

So many people here fold on a dime, but if you stand firm or offer alternatives, you'd be surprised how often they change their tune. They don't want to fire two people and find new ones and you've already signed the contract.

Ok, it's possible they will fire people if you really rub them the wrong way, but if you smile and are pleasant about it, it could be an interesting experience in negotiation. OR, you could lose your job over it, but unless it's a great job, would that be the end of the world? Gamble or not... It's up to you.
Very Happy
CentralCali

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the compensation rate for multiple schools written into the standard EPIK contract?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: