Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How much free time do you have??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MetaFitX

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: How much free time do you have?? Reply with quote

As per the title, how much free time do you have (on average)?

Monday through Friday I work in a hakwon from 9-7. However, I generally come in around 8 and quite often stay till 8. I'd say on any given week I work around 55 hours or so. Is this normal??

The hakwon where I work must be the only school that I know of where the foreign staff arrives BEFORE and leaves AFTER the Korean staff. It's not necessarily the prep work (although it's a lot) but the copious amount of paperwork (grading, phone teaching, report cards and all that fun stuff).
timhorton

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a slave!!
Squire

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How have you been here since 2009 and after 3 years you're doing a job like that? I hope the money is good. For me the appeal of ESL is you aren't required to work even 40 hours a week, let alone 55
ghostrider

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work about 20 hours a week for full time pay. In my first year in Korea, I worked from 9 am to 7:30 pm five days a week at Wonderland. Now I know how to avoid places like that.
fustiancorduroy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work at my academy about 30 hours a week, roughly from 4 to 10 Monday through Friday. I also do writing work on the side, which consumes about 10 to 25 hours of my time each week. So, I'm pretty busy, but I make a good amount of money. To me, my schedule is worth it.

If you're working 55 hours a week at a hagwon, I hope you're making at least 3.0 million won a month, if not 3.5 or 4.0 million a month (or more still).
PRagic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a professor. I teach two classes a semester. During most semesters, a lot of time is dedicated to committee work and grad student guidance. Then there is the admin paper work and my own research. I don't keep tabs, but I probably put in a good 30-40 hours a typical week during the semesters. Depending on the week, though, I may be able to take a breather. I catch up on reading in my dicipline, like most profs, over the 'breaks', and do a lot of my research then. Publish or perish is still very much alive and well!

The upside is that at this point, I make my own schedule. I don't teach in the mornings, and I can always be home by 6 or so. It took a while to get here, too. 2 years for the MBA, almost 5 more for the Ph.D., publishing consistently, then working up the ranks a few years. The jobs are here if you're willing to put in your time getting them, but be careful what you wish for LOL!
newb

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During my first year, I taught 18 classes (40 min. each) a week. And spent around 15 hours of prep time (meeting with co-t's and preparing games & PPT to supplement the useless textbooks). Now that I have all the materials built up, I don't spend as near as much prep-time as my first year. I just twick here and there and use the same materials year after year.
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

9-7... and sometimes 8:00 am-8:00 pm? That sounds so depressing and miserable. I don't understand why anyone would take a job like that. You can make even more money working a job with fewer hours and loading up on the privatos.

I have way too much free time. I only work 11-5 or 11:30-5:30, and a good portion of that time is spent watching football, talking with friends back home, reading online, etc. It's quite nice. I have very little stress in my life at this point, time for ladies, and I make good cash on the side. Hagwons are nasty rackets.
FDNY

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost none:

Mornings: A work-at-home job.
Afternoons: After school program.
Night: Three private classes/day.
Saturdays: Two private classes.

Sundays: Free

Money: Lots.
oppa637

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8-5:30 M-F

Guess its typical
byrddogs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8:30 to 4:30 M-F on-site, with 14 teaching hours per week. A 190 day school year (which is key to me when considering "free time").
timhorton

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FDNY wrote:
Almost none:

Mornings: A work-at-home job.
Afternoons: After school program.
Night: Three private classes/day.
Saturdays: Two private classes.

Sundays: Free

Money: Lots.

I don't envy you Wink
Unibrow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work M-F about 35 hours a week. But I only teach 8 classes a week and I don't teach Fridays
EZE

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2:00-6:30 M-F leaves a lot of free time. I love it. But I need to get a Kindle so I can download and read some books now that it's too cold to enjoy the outdoors.
missty

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8:30-4:30 M-F. I teach a max of 22 hours a week, but this week I am teaching precisely zero classes due to exams. A typical public school job really, but this one does seem to have a much lighter work load than my last.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: