Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NHIS & Pension in Korean?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
globusmonkey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: NHIS & Pension in Korean? Reply with quote

Hi - I know I've seen this stuff before, but search is not helping. Here's my story. I've been working at a hagwon that is not paying NHIS and pension. Before you chew me out, I realize it's not a good thing, and I'm working on turning it around. I had to wait until I got my new university-level job, and now I am going to confront my boss about making a payout for the health and pension he owes.

I have the links for the health & pension info in English, but does anyone have direct links to that info in Korean? He seems to think that his school qualifies for independent contractor status, but from everything I've researched, it does not. I'd like to clear all this up and get my past due amounts without resorting to the labor board, and will be meeting with the management on Friday of this week. I want to have all the pertinent info printed and ready to go (labor laws and amounts due). If they don't agree to the payout (so I can cover the costs for my next job), I'll take them to the labor board. I know, I know, I should just go to the labor board up front, but I'm interested in salvaging a very good work relationship and possible corporate curriculum design work in the future.

Helpful replies are graciously appreciated!
newb

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have they mentioned that you'll be a IC before signing your contract?

Have they deducted NHIS premium and NPS premium from your monthly salary?
globusmonkey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newb wrote:
Have they mentioned that you'll be a IC before signing your contract?

Have they deducted NHIS premium and NPS premium from your monthly salary?

Nope, I have "employee" listed in my contract, and no mention of IC anywhere. I knew this was a problem after my first paycheck, but I needed to keep things smooth until I got the position I came to Korea to work. Tax is always listed as 3.3, which is IC rate, and I have all my paystubs to prove it.

Never had NHIS or pension deducted. The school does have private insurance taken out (I've seen the paperwork, but it's in Korean, so who knows), but that doesn't matter from what I've researched. My interest is not in getting the school in trouble, but rather in covering myself for any costs I will be liable for down the road.
newb

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

globusmonkey wrote:
My interest is not in getting the school in trouble, but rather in covering myself for any costs I will be liable for down the road.

You won't be able to prevent school from getting in trouble once you get the ball rollin' at the NPS, NHIS, and labor board.

A sure way to get the confirmation on your stands is to call the NPS and NHIS to verify. If you need to, have them contact the NPS/NHIS during the meeting and let them hear it from the horse's mouth.
Wildbore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever just thought of self-registering for pension and health? IF you are not an employee worker you can register yourself. Just ask for an extra 100,000 wages to make up for the lack of matching pension contribution.

This is what I am doing. Works fine.
globusmonkey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newb wrote:

You won't be able to prevent school from getting in trouble once you get the ball rollin' at the NPS, NHIS, and labor board.

A sure way to get the confirmation on your stands is to call the NPS and NHIS to verify. If you need to, have them contact the NPS/NHIS during the meeting and let them hear it from the horse's mouth.

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to avoid. I'm going to put the ball in their court and see what happens. If my boss is smart, he'll settle with me first. If not, I just want to make sure I have all my t's crossed and lower-case j's dotted...

And thanks for the suggestion on enrolling on my own, but I'm in the last seven weeks of employment. I'm only interested in getting what I'm owed, leaving under decent circumstances, and moving on to much greener pastures.

So anyone have some links for me? Most helpful ones get an internet beer...
Wildbore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

globusmonkey wrote:
newb wrote:

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to avoid. I'm going to put the ball in their court and see what happens. If my boss is smart, he'll settle with me first. If not, I just want to make sure I have all my t's crossed and lower-case j's dotted...

And thanks for the suggestion on enrolling on my own, but I'm in the last seven weeks of employment. I'm only interested in getting what I'm owed, leaving under decent circumstances, and moving on to much greener pastures.

So anyone have some links for me? Most helpful ones get an internet beer...

You will have to back-pay your contribution for the health and pension, but you will get his matching contribution (which for pension you could cash out as lump-sum refund if you are from an eligible country). You would only be up about 3% of your gross income. Might be better to just ask for cash.
globusmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildbore wrote:

You will have to back-pay your contribution for the health and pension, but you will get his matching contribution (which for pension you could cash out as lump-sum refund if you are from an eligible country). You would only be up about 3% of your gross income. Might be better to just ask for cash.

Yeah, that's what I am going to try first. If he settles with me, I can just pay in the total amount owed and make a clean break. If not, I'll need to go to the offices and report. It's not an amount issue, it's that I need to be covered for his legal obligations so I don't have to pay them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: