Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PSY's rabid anti-American past
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nautilus wrote:
Their national goal is to advance materially while remaining genetically distinct.

is that stated on some Gov site?
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
nautilus wrote:
Their national goal is to advance materially while remaining genetically distinct.

is that stated on some Gov site?

No, this is just more Nautilus social analysis, also found in crackerjack boxes.
fosterman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

highstreet wrote:

This post reeks of jealousy. And a little bit of crazy.

I'm sure Psy really cares about living up to your expectations. According to your own words, you're most likely a failure in life.

what's your degree in? A bachelor's degree in HAKWONOMICS?
you want to talk about a failure in life, you sit there in your next class tomorrow and ponder on your life!

so in your eyes, I am also jealous of a talking dog!
come to think of it.. I think I am LOL
everything-is-everything

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralCali wrote:

Wasn't Rain also in some lame movie?

To be fair here, the fight scenes were pretty awesome.
geldedgoat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

everything-is-everything wrote:
Psy was the first entertainer to go mainstream in the US. No Korean entertainer had done this before him.

'Mainstream' is a bit different from 'making it big,' isn't it? I would've thought sold-out shows and TV appearances would qualify for the latter. *shrug* It's not a point I feel belaboring, though.

As for Selena, was she not? Or was that only after Ass-That-Won't-Quit portrayed her in that movie?
Unibrow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's boycott Big L. "They say a real man don't hit women well I ain't real cuz I beat b***** up." Lets boycott Eminem for talking about all kinds of messed up things. Grow up people.
EZE

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
His comments are typically worded press releases. He obviously didn't write it.

It could have been an apology issued by Imus, Michael Richards, or any other celebrity who has been busted.

I'm not talking about his apology. I'm talking about his remarks and actions at the protest.

It's one reason among many I don't think Psy's record sales in the Middle East will be anywhere near as high as you anticipate. Men in the Middle East who truly want the US military out of their countries or region have been going to rather great lengths to make it happen, by doing things like wearing bomb vests or going around smashing US military vehicles. They're not going to care about some guy in a pink sequens outfit and gold makeup smashing a toy.

When guys in the Taliban or other Islamic militias say they want the US military to leave their countries, they sound very convincing. Whenever it has come from the mouths of men like Psy or the late President Roh, it has always sounded ridiculously insincere, like they're trying to overcompensate or save face in front of the women and the children. In the end, their actions always bely their words.

Steelrails wrote:
You obviously have not clue about the comparative force strengths of the North Korean Armed Forces vs. The South.

Nobody has a clue until the bullets fly. Comparative forces strength was why the war in Afghanistan was supposed to be so easy. And while you discuss the undercard of North Korea versus South Korea, China is the 8,000,000 pound gorilla in the room that you don't want to talk about.

Steelrails wrote:
Do you think Germans need foreign men to protect them? Or view it that way?

I don't know if Germans need foreigners to protect them, but they obviously feel they do.

Steelrails wrote:
The U.S. makes victory easier, but they aren't "protecting" Korea.

Yeah, our victories are always so easy before the wars begin.
slothrop

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by slothrop on Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
CentralCali

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slothrop wrote:
in the 60's when john lennon told a reporter that the beatles were bigger than jeebus many americans had bonfires and burned their records.

One of the most misunderstood comments in modern history.
geldedgoat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems a number of people here are under the false assumption that all controversial statements are made the same. Unless your comparison involves calling for the murder of innocents and intent or sincerity can be demonstrated, you'd be better off not inviting ridicule.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's one reason among many I don't think Psy's record sales in the Middle East will be anywhere near as high as you anticipate.

Yes, because when I made that statement it was meant in total seriousness and not in jest. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Nobody has a clue until the bullets fly. Comparative forces strength was why the war in Afghanistan was supposed to be so easy. And while you discuss the undercard of North Korea versus South Korea, China is the 8,000,000 pound gorilla in the room that you don't want to talk about.

Fine, you can turn that around and say that since nobody has a clue, it could be quite likely that the North Korean Army is all bark and little bite and little stomach to prop up the regime.

And China is not going to invade South Korea. This is 2012 not 1912. That would make China a pariah among nations and send its economy into a tailspin. If anything, one condition of Korean unification would probably be a decoupling or at least a significant degrading of the US-ROK alliance.

Quote:
I don't know if Germans need foreigners to protect them, but they obviously feel they do.

What an overly-simplistic take on the nature of US-German-NATO relations.

Quote:
Comparative forces strength was why the war in Afghanistan was supposed to be so easy

Who thought that? Anyone who knows anything about nation-building and COIN operations, as well as MidEast relations knew that that one would not be a walk in the park.

It all depends on the nature of the conflict. The MidEast war of the 2000s involved nation-building in countries that were mishmashes of various ethnic groups and even religious sects that had deeply connected interests to multiple foreign powers. It would primarily be a guerilla conflict. Also this would be part of an ongoing situation connected to Israel-Palestine and was shaping up to be the new ideological struggle.

North Korea is ethnically homogeneous, the conflict would be about the regime- once the regime falls it is likely that things would be much more stable and a reduced risk of "warlordism'. There isn't religion or antagonism over Israel-Palestine driving the population. No sects, clerics, or foreign jihadists will come in.

And as for the single other foreign player, China would be more worried about a stream of refugees and be glad that the lunatic nation is gone and how to angle its companies to get into NK and make some money.

Are you one of those people who pictures an NK invasion being a million-man run across the DMZ? Or is it the magic tunnels suddenly unleashing a million soldiers like they're sci-fi ants?
hiamnotcool

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unibrow wrote:
Let's boycott Big L. "They say a real man don't hit women well I ain't real cuz I beat b***** up." Lets boycott Eminem for talking about all kinds of messed up things. Grow up people.

I already do, what exactly is grown up about listening to guys talk about beating women and killing their girlfriends? Maybe you are the one that needs to grow up.
hiamnotcool

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taylormade wrote:
I'd like to know what kind of coverage this controversy is currently getting in the Korean media. Are they simply reporting the facts of the story? Are they condemning his comments, or trying to justify them? Has any Korean media - anywhere - outright condemned his behaviour. Because in any Western country the media would be all over him if he had said those things about Koreans.

Anything?

Honestly it isn't the Korean media's problem at this point. The song was pretty big in Korea but it didn't really catch on until the CNN and other American media outlets started promoting it. It's really on the USA to stop promoting him and listening to him. Unfortunately, our folks back home don't seem to see any problem with it. From what I understand a lot of people in Korea already hate PSY and are kind of confused about why he became so popular. I guess now I know why they hate him.

Under the Naver video from what I got was that some of the people commenting hated PSY, and others didn't think he should have apologized or he is a sell out because he apologized.
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help but feel that his popularity would have waned faster had this scandal not popped up just as people were starting to forget about him.
jvalmer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiamnotcool wrote:
From what I understand a lot of people in Korea already hate PSY and are kind of confused about why he became so popular. I guess now I know why they hate him.

A lot of the hatred comes from his questionable military service his first time around, the reason he had to do his service twice.

And I bet Koreans are confused because they think only good looking people can get famous in America. Hence there fruitless efforts trying to market Wonder Girls or what other pretty boy/girl bands they have. JYP even spent a few years stateside, he should know better than waste his money and time on the US market.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 12 of 21

Jump to: