Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hagwon "May Have To Close"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
byrddogs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodge7 wrote:
byrddogs wrote:
Dodge7 wrote:
greene wrote:
don't tell students to shut up

tell them ha-ji-ma

No, don't say hajima. You are an English "teacher," tell them to stop it. Use English, not Korean.
God I'm embarrassed of the "teachers" I am associated with. You guys have no idea how to teach. Not qualified, not good, pathetic. It takes more to be a teacher than your mother tongue. Most "teachers" here are no better than your average Wal-Mart employee stocking shelves.

Another high and mighty post from the king of that. If you are so qualified and such a good teacher (you have mentioned that ad-nauseum), then why did you have to go to Korea to teach ESL in the first place, D7? We already know why you stay there (which is pathetic in its own right and dropped ad-nauseum as well). Wouldn't it just be easier to accept the fact that you are the one that you constantly refers others to be?

Well, considering there is only ONE hiring season for licensed teachers (the summer) and if you miss out then you have to wait ANOTHER year to apply again, it makes the impatient pretty antsy.

I was living in Florida for most of the summer in 2009, and I had a job lined up for me back in Cleveland had I stayed there, but I was stupid and lived it up for the summer with some friends down south. I came back home in the fall, saw the job ad on craigslist to teach in Korea, I like to travel and I could make money doing what I went to college for, so I signed up.

I'm totally justified in my reasoning why I'm here, but you, Mr. Business Economics major guy, why are you teaching? You didn't even go to college to learn how to be a teacher, you failed in your profession so bailed out like a loser. Tell the truth. You made a poor decision in choosing a college major and now you are stuck singing ABC's and are a day time nanny for the rich Korean mommies. Sing another song for the kids and fall back in line--because God knows you can't do anything or make it back home anyway, lol.

Enjoy getting dong-chimmed at your after school program. You seem to be the one that is stuck. Oh, I forgot, your sister and bil or whoever have so much influence and can get you a job in Cleveland (of all crap places). Knocking up a chick before you marry and getting an F visa makes you really lame (you already know that though).

Last edited by byrddogs on Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Dodge7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

byrddogs wrote:
Dodge7 wrote:
byrddogs wrote:
Dodge7 wrote:
greene wrote:

tell them ha-ji-ma

No, don't say hajima. You are an English "teacher," tell them to stop it. Use English, not Korean.
God I'm embarrassed of the "teachers" I am associated with. You guys have no idea how to teach. Not qualified, not good, pathetic. It takes more to be a teacher than your mother tongue. Most "teachers" here are no better than your average Wal-Mart employee stocking shelves.

Another high and mighty post from the king of that. If you are so qualified and such a good teacher (you have mentioned that ad-nauseum), then why did you have to go to Korea to teach ESL in the first place, D7? We already know why you stay there (which is pathetic in its own right and dropped ad-nauseum as well). Wouldn't it just be easier to accept the fact that you are the one that you constantly refers others to be?

Well, considering there is only ONE hiring season for licensed teachers (the summer) and if you miss out then you have to wait ANOTHER year to apply again, it makes the impatient pretty antsy.

I was living in Florida for most of the summer in 2009, and I had a job lined up for me back in Cleveland had I stayed there, but I was stupid and lived it up for the summer with some friends down south. I came back home in the fall, saw the job ad on craigslist to teach in Korea, I like to travel and I could make money doing what I went to college for, so I signed up.

I'm totally justified in my reasoning why I'm here, but you, Mr. Business Economics major guy, why are you teaching? You didn't even go to college to learn how to be a teacher, you failed in your profession so bailed out like a loser. Tell the truth. You made a poor decision in choosing a college major and now you are stuck singing ABC's and are a day time nanny for the rich Korean mommies. Sing another song for the kids and fall back in line--because God knows you can't do anything or make it back home anyway, lol.

Enjoy getting dong-chimmed at your after school program. You seem to be the one that is stuck. Oh, I forgot, your sister and bil or whoever have so much influence and can get you a job in Cleveland (of all crap places).

Why go back home now? I have a daughter that is a model and has already been on TV and gets gawked at everywhere we go--she'll be making money soon, a wife that makes more money than I do, and I'm going to be opening my own business within the next 4-5 years. Life is great.

ps: Enjoy being a single weirdo in china.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

byrddogs wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:
Blanca wrote:
I think you miss my point. I jokingly tell kids they are smelly and they jokingly respond with things like "no Teacher, you are crazy!". It's all in good humour and I'd never maliciously tell a child they smell, even if they did.

Similarly, I only tell children who are being a pain in the arse to "shut up". You know the ones, the ones that will not do as they're told and are all-round little so-and-sos.

I take your point though, but yes, I've got a lack of experience. I've been an Englishee "teacher" for 9 months. I'm going to make mistakes, which I'm going to correct immediately according to what the boss wants.

Totally agree with you about the banter.

Totally disagree about the "shut up". It's way too harsh, IMO .

Care to elaborate why you totally disagree and think "shut up" is way too harsh?

Not much to elaborate on. I've never said it to my child. Never said it to any of my students.

If ANYONE ever said it to me in any way other than jest, they'd be asking for a confrontation.

I think it is very rude. Not profane, but rude.
nero

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]Why go back home now? I have a daughter that is a model and has already been on TV and gets gawked at everywhere we go--she'll be making money soon..[quote]

Honey Boo Boo? Laughing Laughing
peterpan1110

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodge7 wrote:
byrddogs wrote:
Dodge7 wrote:
byrddogs wrote:
Dodge7 wrote:
greene wrote:

tell them ha-ji-ma

Enjoy getting dong-chimmed at your after school program. You seem to be the one that is stuck. Oh, I forgot, your sister and bil or whoever have so much influence and can get you a job in Cleveland (of all crap places).

Why go back home now? I have a daughter that is a model and has already been on TV and gets gawked at everywhere we go--she'll be making money soon, a wife that makes more money than I do, and I'm going to be opening my own business within the next 4-5 years. Life is great.

lol at dodge... this guy is an all-world douchebag. he is just obsessed with himself
yfb

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

lol at dodge... this guy is an all-world douchebag. he is just obsessed with himself

He's right though.

And another meme gets added to the "Clueless Foreigner" collection:
http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3s47oi/
peterpan1110

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"All English teachers in Korea are losers except me because I do it the right way and I have a baby who is a model" Laughing Laughing Laughing too funny dude, you should win a lifetime achievement award
NilesQ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Shut Up" has a completely different meaning to Korean English speakers/learners than it does to most native speakers. It isn't really considered harsh and rude anymore. It can even bu used in place of "Get out of here" as an exclaimation of disbelief.

Koreans haven't gotten this memo yet. The parents of these kids learned English at a time when shut up was a terribly rude thig to say. Especially when translated into Korean - tak-chaw.

It would be wise to eliminate that phrase unless working with high level returnees who went to school in the west.
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
byrddogs wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:
Blanca wrote:
I think you miss my point. I jokingly tell kids they are smelly and they jokingly respond with things like "no Teacher, you are crazy!". It's all in good humour and I'd never maliciously tell a child they smell, even if they did.

Similarly, I only tell children who are being a pain in the arse to "shut up". You know the ones, the ones that will not do as they're told and are all-round little so-and-sos.

I take your point though, but yes, I've got a lack of experience. I've been an Englishee "teacher" for 9 months. I'm going to make mistakes, which I'm going to correct immediately according to what the boss wants.

Totally agree with you about the banter.

Totally disagree about the "shut up". It's way too harsh, IMO .

Care to elaborate why you totally disagree and think "shut up" is way too harsh?

Not much to elaborate on. I've never said it to my child. Never said it to any of my students.

If ANYONE ever said it to me in any way other than jest, they'd be asking for a confrontation.

I think it is very rude. Not profane, but rude.

I agree. Plus, it's an emotionally charged thing to say. Try to imagine a serious setting in which someone would actually use that phrase. You can say "Everyone settle down." or "Hey you! No talking while the teacher is talking." and it's authoritative, but not emotional. Showing anger or frustration in front of kids is basically showing them the thin end of the wedge. They then know how to get you riled up and lose your calm. By pulling you down, they're able to demonstrate their dominance over you. That won't end well.
gelynch52ph

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:43 am    Post subject: Dodge Reply with quote

Dodge7 wrote:
byrddogs wrote:
Dodge7 wrote:
byrddogs wrote:
Dodge7 wrote:
greene wrote:

tell them ha-ji-ma

Dodge: Isn't that a truck with instructions on the hood telling you what to do when you see it coming?
Ibsen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post was informative for the first page, but now it's all gone to hell with malicious posts and personal attacks. Thanks for reminding me why I stopped using this forum... It's toxic to people who are simply trying their best to do their job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: