Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smoking banned at bars in Itaewon/Yongsan-gu
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
augustine

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:05 am    Post subject: Smoking banned at bars in Itaewon/Yongsan-gu Reply with quote

At most places, at least. Depends on the size of the establishment, but it's apparently the new law of the land. The western bars I've been to are seemingly being compliant... but what about Korean Hofs/other similar establishments in the area... how's that going to hold up?
toby99

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Smoking banned at bars in Itaewon/Yongsan-gu Reply with quote

augustine wrote:
At most places, at least. Depends on the size of the establishment, but it's apparently the new law of the land. The western bars I've been to are seemingly being compliant... but what about Korean Hofs/other similar establishments in the area... how's that going to hold up?

Are Geckos, Wolfhound, Sam Ryans, Seoul Pub, etc. 'in compliance'?
Trip

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.asianewsnet.net/home/news.php?id=39805&sec=1
augustine

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby, those weren't the particular places I went to, so I don't know. It has to do with establishments with either over or under 50 pyeong of space (I don't know which) that are forced to ban smoking. I googled it earlier, but came up with nothing. I'm just relaying information from the horse's mouth. Very sudden implementation, however.

I'm still very curious about the ajosshi establishments, if this is being implemented throughout the entire Gu, which is supposedly where this measure originated. I can't imagine some of those hof owners trying to tell an ajosshi to step outside to smoke his virginia slim in the bitter cold without some feedback.
Trip

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

augustine wrote:
It has to do with establishments with either over or under 50 pyeong of space (I don't know which) that are forced to ban smoking. I googled it earlier, but came up with nothing. I'm just relaying information from the horse's mouth.

See previous post.
augustine

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trip wrote:
augustine wrote:
It has to do with establishments with either over or under 50 pyeong of space (I don't know which) that are forced to ban smoking. I googled it earlier, but came up with nothing. I'm just relaying information from the horse's mouth.

See previous post.

OK, but I didn't see it, since I was responding to the person who posted before you.
Unibrow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an attack on my freedoms. this will lead to a substantial drop in business for these establishments, as smokers go elsewhere
NilesQ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unibrow wrote:
This is an attack on my freedoms. this will lead to a substantial drop in business for these establishments, as smokers go elsewhere

That's like saying not beign allowed to drive a car on the sidewalk is an attack on your freedoms!

Coincidentally, they like to do that in Korea too!
geldedgoat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NilesQ wrote:
That's like saying not beign allowed to drive a car on the sidewalk is an attack on your freedoms!

Yup, public thoroughfares are the perfect comparison to privately-owned bars and restaurants.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With smoking gone, patrons can now breathe deeply and enjoy the other fragrances a bar has to offer- Stale piss and vomit.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geldedgoat wrote:
NilesQ wrote:

Yup, public thoroughfares are the perfect comparison to privately-owned bars and restaurants.

Are the bars and restaurants not open to the public?
Taylormade

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. If any of you think this rule is going to be enforced you must have arrived here yesterday morning.
rainman3277

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taylormade wrote:
LOL. If any of you think this rule is going to be enforced you must have arrived here yesterday morning.

The ban 'officially' began last week but it won't be legally enforced until sometime around April. Suppose to give bar owners and patrons a time for transition (building smoking sections, etc.)

If you think the bars are going to risk getting fined W5,000,000 you must have been born yesterday. This is not a tough law to enforce.
12ax7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unibrow wrote:

Your right to ruin your health has no precedent over other people's right to protect theirs.

Besides, sociologists in Canada have done some research on the smoking ban in bars and found that people end up making new friends and acquaintances as they chat outside of the entrance over a smoke, something which happens less often inside the bar as loud music isn't exactly conducive to conversation.
Taylormade

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rainman3277 wrote:
If you think the bars are going to risk getting fined W5,000,000 you must have been born yesterday. This is not a tough law to enforce.

LOL.

Let me list some of the other laws that are not difficult to enforce but aren't...Christ, I won't even bother. I have to teach in twenty minutes. It'll take longer than that to list all the laws that are 'on the books' in Korea but aren't enforced. Remember how they banned motorcycles on Seoul's streets three years ago? Remember that one? How is that going?

How difficult is it to pull over a car that just ran a red light? How demanding is it to put a ticket on the winsdshield of a car parked on a crosswalk? Or handing a ticket to ajoshie after he empties his nostrils on the street? Not going to happen. Same with the smoking thing. I'm a pretty militant non-smoker. Smoking around other people is obnoxious and the height of selfishness. I would love to see all bars in Itaewon go smoke free. But it's not going to happen. I do, however, find it absolutely adorable that you think it will be complied with and enforced because it's now 'the law'. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 1 of 18

Jump to: