Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New closing law

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hogwonguy1979

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: New closing law Reply with quote

Apparently the big stores have given in and now have to close any 2 days a month to support the mom and pop stores.

Don't have a link but can tell you the Yongsan Station Emart was closed today with a sign saying it will be closed today and on 12/26

I thought they fought this law and won?
dairyairy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New closing law Reply with quote

hogwonguy1979 wrote:
Apparently the big stores have given in and now have to close any 2 days a month to support the mom and pop stores.

Don't have a link but can tell you the Yongsan Station Emart was closed today with a sign saying it will be closed today and on 12/26

I thought they fought this law and won?

They formed an association and made some deal with the government just to close any two days because, frankly, forcing them to close was going to fail in court. Now, everyone saves face even though the government was flat wrong on the forced closings.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This bites.

I'd love to see an actual public opinion poll on the subject.
actionjackson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this is even stupider than the first incarnation of the law. Now all the big stores in a certain area have to do is, get together, decide who is going to close on what days, and this way, they're able to keep their bottom line the same as I'm sure most people will now just go to the other big store in their area, doing absolutely nothing for the mom and pop stores.
fermentation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
This bites.

I'd love to see an actual public opinion poll on the subject.

Any idea on which politicians are supporting this? I'll make sure to never vote for them.
hogwonguy1979

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even Costco was closed today according to a friend of mine. Not sure which one though.

Besides Yongsan any other gu's Emarts etc closed today?

Yeah this really bites as Weds was my day off this semester and I did all my grocery shopping etc on Weds
nora

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hogwonguy1979 wrote:
Even Costco was closed today according to a friend of mine. Not sure which one though.

Besides Yongsan any other gu's Emarts etc closed today?

Yeah this really bites as Weds was my day off this semester and I did all my grocery shopping etc on Weds

Are you sure they are closed because of this law? Wednesday seems odd, and with 12/26 being the day after Christmas, maybe they are giving their employees the day off, or doing a year end inventory or something of that nature? Doesn't explain today, but did the signs mention the law specifically?
Milwaukiedave

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a major cave by the retailers. I understand the reason is they want to protect the traditional markets, but at the same time by intervening in how the retail markets operate they are screwing with the free market.

It also seems like they are limiting the hours the stores are open as well.

I'd like to see someone challenge it through the courts. The stores aren't really agreeing to it, they are being coerced into it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: