Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NHL gonna go?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schwa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: NHL gonna go? Reply with quote

There are signs. I'd take a half season. Miss my winter fantasy team diversion.
Mr. BlackCat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a word, or three, screw those guys.

Big hockey fan. The key word there is 'hockey'. The NHL is barely that at this point. Gary Bettman and his cronies basically protect their investments (southern teams and the bruins...no caps for them). Canadian teams and other established teams (that don't have owners with Bettman in his back pocket...cough bruins cough) have been fighting an up hill battle since he took over and the league has had serious legitimacy problems.

At the same time I want the NHL to do well in the US, but two cancelled seasons in 7 years, more work stoppages beyond that, you can't run any business like that. Bettman and Ferh are destroying the league. Seeing a Saturday night game is out of reach for most fans in real markets, meanwhile billionaires and millionaires are fighting over metaphorical nickels and dimes. You think people in LA (defending champs), Miami, Nashville, etc., are waiting on pins and needles for this to end? They're watching the NBA, NFL and college football. Everyone involved has overestimated their worth.

Bring on the world junior's. I will probably pay attention if the NHL comes back, but I was already half hearted after 2004-5. The NHL is already the WWF when it comes to legitimacy, and I'm more interested in actual hockey rather than this coked-up game of checkers masquerading as an intense chess match.

Having said that,

GO HABS GO!
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are a Habs fan blackcat???

Holy crap, that means we have ONE thing in common...

The world will explode.
BobbyOrr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The owners have already won. They got the players from 57 to 50. Trying to go so much further is a humiliation to the players. No wonder the players are digging in.
Mr. BlackCat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickGHBusan wrote:

The world will explode.

That's the beauty of the Habs, they bring people from all walks of life together. If they could do it for the French and English, they can do it for anyone.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. BlackCat wrote:
PatrickGHBusan wrote:

The world will explode.

That's the beauty of the Habs, they bring people from all walks of life together. If they could do it for the French and English, they can do it for anyone.

Indeed!

By the way, do not know if you followed recent developments but on Thursday the players, well Donald Fehr, really dropped the ball. They will not lose badly and the league's offer will only get worse now....

The deal that was on the table Thursday was pretty decent but Fehr is doing or trying to do what he did to MLB in 1994...
Mr. BlackCat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fehr stated last year that he intended to make a statement with a prolonged strike. He is a narcissist. This isn't about the players, or the NHL or hockey. This is about Donald Fehr. He never intended to have a season this year, he believes this, like everything, is about him and only him.

Not that Bettman is much better. Two men who think they are much more important than they really are. The media needs to stop going to these 'press conferences' where these mini-Napoleans give their decrees. If teachers, auto workers, transit workers, postal workers go on strike it affects my life directly and I know in most cases they are at least trying to fight for something better for their lives. The NHL being on strike doesn't affect my life (or pretty much anyone's), and they still think they all should get millions for their troubles. The only people really suffering here are the working stiffs who have jobs directly related to the NHL (arena workers, sports shop operators, restaurants nearby, etc.). They're the only people I feel bad for right now.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. BlackCat wrote:
Fehr stated last year that he intended to make a statement with a prolonged strike. He is a narcissist. This isn't about the players, or the NHL or hockey. This is about Donald Fehr. He never intended to have a season this year, he believes this, like everything, is about him and only him.

Not that Bettman is much better. Two men who think they are much more important than they really are. The media needs to stop going to these 'press conferences' where these mini-Napoleans give their decrees. If teachers, auto workers, transit workers, postal workers go on strike it affects my life directly and I know in most cases they are at least trying to fight for something better for their lives. The NHL being on strike doesn't affect my life (or pretty much anyone's), and they still think they all should get millions for their troubles. The only people really suffering here are the working stiffs who have jobs directly related to the NHL (arena workers, sports shop operators, restaurants nearby, etc.). They're the only people I feel bad for right now.

I am in complete agreement.

Shocked

Damn, how did we come to complete agreement???
Mr. BlackCat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickGHBusan wrote:
Mr. BlackCat wrote:

I am in complete agreement.

Shocked

Damn, how did we come to complete agreement???

Even those who argue the most will likely have more in common. Except UM who would yell at me if I said I thought rainbows were pretty.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Well put.
schwa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! They cut a deal.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed they did. The fact it took so long is a heap of shame and manure on the heads of Buttman and Fear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: