Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Severance Pay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ttchbrown

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: Severance Pay Reply with quote

I work for the public school system and my contract says that upon the completion of my contract I will be paid one months salary severance. Pretty much standard in Korea. I have decided to re-sign for another year so I assumed that I would receive that money. Not so,if I re-sign it is considered continuation of my contract. So there telling me that I cant claim my severance(and pension) until I end my employment with them. Is this normal? I would view each year contract as a separate entity regardless of whether I chose to stay with the same employer. Just goes to show you cant assume anything in Korea.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone is ripping you off, and maybe pocketing your bonus money somewhere down the line. Heard of it before....

Go over your boss' head if you have to. Perhaps the bigger bosses think you are getting your bonus when in fact you are not.

It is both the law and under contract that you recieve this.

If you don't, do not sign on for another year.

You're throwing away a lot of money...
The Lemon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I assumed that I would receive that money. Not so,if I re-sign it is considered continuation of my contract. So there telling me that I cant claim my severance(and pension) until I end my employment with them. Is this normal?

Yes, normal. I've heard of severance being paid both ways: after each contract, or after the teacher finishes employment with the school for good.

You can try to make the argument that at the end of each year you stay, your contract is completed and a new one starts, so you should be getting the "contract completion" bonus, but I doubt you'll get far.

Good luck-
Lemon
MrTESL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happened to me when I worked for EPIK, and indeed, for all of the EPIK teachers in Kwangju. The Board of Ed paid every penny out when you left the program, which ended up being quite a sum for the long-timers.

Rand Al Thor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually it could work out better for you. If your salary goes up before you finish working there, your severence will be higher. The law is that you recieve 1 month salary for each year of service at the average pay over the last 3 months of employment.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rand Al Thor wrote:
actually it could work out better for you. If your salary goes up before you finish working there, your severence will be higher. The law is that you recieve 1 month salary for each year of service at the average pay over the last 3 months of employment.

If they play fair to him. And since when are schools always fair? Rolling Eyes

not often....
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, but Wall, it's not a hakwon.

They're totally different beasts. Public schools don't have nearly as many business-related issues to worry about.
schwa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normal practice to roll it over. I've collected multiple-year severance from a hagwon & expect to do so again with the ministry of education. Other arrangements are possible, judging by remarks I've seen here -- annual payouts, even month by month. But if your employer seems halfway trustworthy, the lump sum is a nice big plus in your bank account.
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Labor Standards Act has a section concerning the payment of Severence Pay. I believe that it is perfectly reasonable for them to pay you at the end of your employment.

The Act can be found (in english) at this site: www.molab.go.kr
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: