Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does anyone fly on "standby" anymore?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ethan Allen Hawley

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Does anyone fly on "standby" anymore? Reply with quote

It's a long time since I flew on airplanes using an international student discount card and "student standby" prices.

Do airplane companies even still offer cheap last minute tickets to fill up an airplane these days? Have you flown standby with a cheaper airfare, and without paying thousands of extra dollars, won, or pounds?

How common is it these days? Do some companies release more tickets last minute than others?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Does anyone fly on "standby" anymore? Reply with quote

Ethan Allen Hawley wrote:
It's a long time since I flew on airplanes using an international student discount card and "student standby" prices.

Do airplane companies even still offer cheap last minute tickets to fill up an airplane these days? Have you flown standby with a cheaper airfare, and without paying thousands of extra dollars, won, or pounds?

How common is it these days? Do some companies release more tickets last minute than others?

Due to the requirements for airlines (especially those flying to/over/in/through) US controlled airspace to pre-notify the US of their passenger lists the old standby of "Standby" is no longer an option on most airlines.

young_clinton

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Does anyone fly on "standby" anymore? Reply with quote

Ethan Allen Hawley wrote:

If you're talking overseas flights, they don't ever have "stand by".
Sector7G

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand, they do occasionally pay people on over-booked flights to get off and wait for another flight. My aunt took them up on that a couple times.
silkhighway

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of anywhere where you can buy standby tickets anymore, but they still have standby flights. For example, if you get bumped because of overbooking, or if you have a long layover. In both cases you can request to be put on standby if another flight on same route is available.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sector7G wrote:
On the other hand, they do occasionally pay people on over-booked flights to get off and wait for another flight. My aunt took them up on that a couple times.

True but that applies to ticketed passengers and is not really what the OP is asking about.

I have to say I cannot remember ever seeing or hearing of stand by for international flights. That used to exist for local flights however.
Sector7G

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickGHBusan wrote:

I have to say I cannot remember ever seeing or hearing of stand by for international flights. That used to exist for local flights however.

True but that was already sufficiently answered.
alongway

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silkhighway wrote:
I don't know of anywhere where you can buy standby tickets anymore, but they still have standby flights. For example, if you get bumped because of overbooking, or if you have a long layover. In both cases you can request to be put on standby if another flight on same route is available.

Last time I transferred through the states they absolutely had people at each airport who were on standby as they announced standby availability before each flight.
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most busy international flights always overbook their flights due to cancellations, no shows, etc. there is often a standby list for these flights but it's not mandatory.

so when that happens they will normally move people in economy with status to business (a GREAT reason to have status with the three alliances) and then give those seats to the people on standby based on a list of almost arbitrary reasons.
daeguowl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relatives of airline staff also fly standby. In the case of Korean Air they book in advance and pay about 10% of the fare then they go to the airport and hang out until check-in closes. If the flight fills up, they wait for the next one.

I've also changed my flight on a standby basis. I wanted to fly out that day but the flight was fully booked. I went to the airport and hoped that someone wouldn't show up, and luckily they didn't. Didn't go back to the idiot travel agent that screwed up my ticket in the first place though.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sector7G wrote:
PatrickGHBusan wrote:

True but that was already sufficiently answered.

Fair enough.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question:

If you miss accidently miss your connecting flight across the ocean (let's say your flying from BKK to the USA) what happens? Something tells me you have to buy another ticket all together.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:
I have a question:

If you miss accidently miss your connecting flight across the ocean (let's say your flying from BKK to the USA) what happens? Something tells me you have to buy another ticket all together.

IF it is the airline's fault that you missed the connection then they will put you on the next available flight.

If it was YOUR fault then they will probably make you buy a replacement ticket (rather than board you on another flight at their expense) and MAY cancel the remaining sections of your previous ticket (return flights, etc.) due to missing a segment.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: