Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lets settle this. Is Korean food "good for you?"
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sluggo832004

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Lets settle this. Is Korean food "good for you?" Reply with quote

My korean teachers tell me rice and soup everyday will give me stamina and strength.

I told them too much rice isnt good for you, so my teacher told me because I said that I am weak and need to get stronger to eat rice everyday. lol.

Is korean food good for you? Or just good once a week?
fermentation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the dish. Too much rice isn't good for you, but that goes for everything. I can't have enough dakgalbi though.
ewlandon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this isnt something you can settle.

Rice is a better staple than most starches, it is good for digestion.

Also just look at life expectancy and weight in asian countries compared to the west.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any balanced diet with good nutrition will give you stamina. The idea that only a particular ethnic dish or a particular item will do wonders for you or (part of) your body is utter nonsense.
Peace Train

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most definitely NOT healthy in the least

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?p=2840128&highlight=#2840128

Read the above carefully. Then read it again.

Then print it out.
Put it on your bedside table.
Read it before you go to sleep. Then again when you wake up.

Oh, unseasoned Korean BBQ wrapped in leafy vegetables is your healthiest option. Have fun eating that 2-3 times a day tho, bro.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever since I heard that samgyetang has like 50 grams of fat or something ludicrous I've been wary.

I'm not a big fan of salt and am quite responsive to it when there's a bunch in food. I'll just say that there are quite a few dishes that scream out high salt content at me.
Zackback

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just do like me and eat tons of garlic and ginger....raw.
jdog2050

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewlandon wrote:
this isnt something you can settle.

Rice is a better staple than most starches, it is good for digestion.

Also just look at life expectancy and weight in asian countries compared to the west.

*brown* and *black* rice are good for digestion. White rice is awful for you.
dairyairy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends, too, on where you're coming from, diet-wise. There are some good Korean foods and bad ones, too. The vegetables and tofu are better for you than fried foods and snacks that most westerners eat. But if you're already a big fish and vegetables eater then keep being a smart eater. The good thing is that you can pick and choose.
transmogrifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is American food good for you?
Is Indian food good for you?
Is Chinese food good for you?
Is Mexican food good for you?

No, wait, I have a better one, is food good for you?

Yes, I think this is settled: what a waste of time this thread is.

Every single friggin cuisine in the world has its good and bad parts in terms of health. The fact that this board thinks that it can settle on the health benefits of an entire culture's food once and for all is merely another example of the pointless black-or-white outlook that infects this place.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what you eat and how much of it you eat. Koreans may say that Korean food is healthy, but there is a reason they point at a chunky person and say "samgyupsal". Tell someone you're eating mandu or certain other foods regularly and people will tell you to stop. Korean food can be just as unhealthy or more so than even some "junk" foods.

Think those salads or you get that are drizzled in dressing and cheese. They "look" healthy, sorta like some Korean dishes, but break it down and they are worse than a Supersized Big Mac meal.

One guide I would give though- take to Korean sized portions of beverages, especially coffee and soda. A little dixie cup of soda should be a dessert, not a full-on beverage.
Peace Train

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

transmogrifier wrote:
I
Every single friggin cuisine in the world has its good and bad parts in terms of health. The fact that this board thinks that it can settle on the health benefits of an entire culture's food once and for all is merely another example of the pointless black-or-white outlook that infects this place.

First, calm down there slappy. The sun will come out tomorrow.

Second, the key difference in this particular discussion is that Koreans vociferously laud the healthiness of their cuisine. "Bimbimap is not only delicious, but incredibly healthy too!!~" A complete and utter lie. It's a cardiac arrest in a bowl.

I can't remember ever seeing Spanish, Mexican, Greek, Italian et al food slapped with that same label -- ever. Most ethnicities are astute enough to pin-point very specific meals in their cuisine which are, demonstrably, healthy. Koreans, by and large, call all Korean food, from Buldak (yes I heard that one more than once) to kimchi chiggae (more sodium than a can of Campbell's) "well being."

Which is what the OP was, in fact, asking about. But thanks for your rage fueled, convoluted response.
transmogrifier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peace Train wrote:
transmogrifier wrote:
I

Second, the key difference in this particular discussion is that Koreans vociferously laud the healthiness of their cuisine. "Bimbimap is not only delicious, but incredibly healthy too!!~" A complete and utter lie. It's a cardiac arrest in a bowl.

I can't remember ever seeing Spanish, Mexican, Greek, Italian et al food slapped with that same label -- ever. Most ethnicities are astute enough to pin-point very specific meals in their cuisine which are, demonstrably, healthy. Koreans, by and large, call all Korean food, from Buldak (yes I heard that one more than once) to kimchi chiggae (more sodium than a can of Campbell's) "well being."

Which is what the OP was, in fact, asking about. But thanks for your rage fueled, convoluted response.

Quote:

Then print it out.

You're exactly the type of person that ruins this place. The type of person who treats every topic as a crusade, a big "response" to something or other, a noble battle against the mythical "other".

It's bullshit ego stroking, is all it is. Your response in this thread is not the response of someone interested in discussing the topic in itself - no, it's all about you and your "war" against something.

That goes for both the haters and the defenders, anyone who takes a thread and makes yet another battle of cultures, ad nauseum.

There are many, many smart people in this country, and there could be a lot of healthy discussion on these boards. But it is dominated by two opposing factions who are both convinced they are "right" and so every single thing ends up in the same argument:

OP: This thing happened.
Reply 1: Wow, this proves Korea is X. I wonder what the apologists will say about this.
Reply 2: Whatever, Country Z is much worse. And besides, the Koreans are the victims of this and this. The haters just want any excuse to pick on Korea.

And so on for eternity. It's exactly like a political board, left vs. right.

So forgive me if I don't tolerate crap like your post, which offers nothing to the debate except another location for you to stroke your ego.
Peace Train

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

transmogrifier wrote:
Peace Train wrote:
transmogrifier wrote:
I

Quote:

Then print it out.

You're exactly the type of person that ruins this place.

Really? Tell me more about how ruinous I am. I'll do my best to improve.
Who do you consider to be an ideal poster -- you know someone who makes this place sparkle? I'll stick to them like velcro and emulate their exemplary behavior.

Within a month this place will be as professional as a barrister's bow tie.
transmogrifier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peace Train wrote:

Really? Tell me more about how ruinous I am. I'll do my best to improve.
Who do you consider to be an ideal poster -- you know someone who makes this place sparkle? I'll stick to them like velcro and emulate their exemplary behavior.

Within a month this place will be as professional as a barrister's bow tie.

I'm not your life coach. Figure it out yourself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: