Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting a free ticket to korea (to teach) f-2 visa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gbooty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Getting a free ticket to korea (to teach) f-2 visa Reply with quote

I have an unexpired f-2 visa, I'm assuming when I re-enter I will come in as an f-2. Any possibilies for an employer to pay for a ticket? Or for me to give up my f-2 visa and apply for an e-2. As a note, I never had an e-2 before, I went from visitor to f-2.

Any ideas?

Thanks
timhorton

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try asking your question more clearly.
gbooty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do Koreans only give free plane rides to fresh meat teachers? Could I get one having an f-2 visa? If not, could I change/hide my visa status and appear to be fresh meat?
young_clinton

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the school isn't willing to pay your way to Korea after you arrive and start teaching it's definitely a red flag. It's standard practice for the school to pay your way to Korea and provide for a means back to your country. If the school doesn't do that then something is wrong with the school or the owners. You should be able to eventually find a school with a contract that stipulates your airfare is paid for (to Korea and back). Don't sign a contract for anything less.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Getting a free ticket to korea (to teach) f-2 visa Reply with quote

gbooty wrote:
I have an unexpired f-2 visa, I'm assuming when I re-enter I will come in as an f-2. Any possibilies for an employer to pay for a ticket? Or for me to give up my f-2 visa and apply for an e-2. As a note, I never had an e-2 before, I went from visitor to f-2.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Airfare is a contract issue.
Airfare (or payment in lieu) is negotiable.

If you are abroad you should be able to get it (if you are willing to work on the same terms as an E2 teacher).
If you fly in on your own dime then find a job then you probably won't get it.

Do NOT give up your F2 to change to an E2 (doing so would be just plain dumb).

gbooty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the replies.

When companies put airfare terms into its contracts, is the airfare paid up front and arranged by them? Or would you get a lump sum refund in your paycheck after one month? Or would you get 1/12 of a refund every paycheck?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gbooty wrote:
I appreciate the replies.

When companies put airfare terms into its contracts, is the airfare paid up front and arranged by them? Or would you get a lump sum refund in your paycheck after one month? Or would you get 1/12 of a refund every paycheck?

Public schools = reimbursement within 30 days.
Hagwans = it varies. Most are either prepaid or reimbursed.
Personally, I would NOT take a job at a hagwan unless it was prepaid.

gbooty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again ttompatz
alongway

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of places won't give airfare to an F-2 though, because it's a resident visa, and you're expected to be here already, some places won't even offer them the apartment either, which for the majority of F-2/4/5/6 is usually fine as they already made other arrangements.

Also how long have you been out of country? Even if your F-2 isn't expired, if you've been out more than a year, I think it gets cancelled.
gbooty

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only been out of the country for a few months. My f-2 isn't supposed to expire for another year and a half. This is my first time out of the country since I've gotten it, so I don't know the re-entry rules.

Before on teaching contracts I've gotten key money, severance, insurance, and pension. But I originally flew to Korea myself as a tourist. Being setup with an apartment, or ideally key money, and a plane ticket would be very helpful. I'd like to not front for a ticket and avoid a goshiwon.
surendra

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, for Busan EPIK, our fligh reimbursements are paid after 6 months.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: