Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lets settle this. Is Korean food "good for you?"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peace Train

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

transmogrifier wrote:

So forgive me if I don't tolerate crap like your post, which offers nothing to the debate except another location for you to stroke your ego.

Errm, actually it offers a very definitive answer to the OP's question; something you were clearly incapable of doing. My answer doesn't get much more black and white, slapps.

I'm curious who the real ego stroker is....the guy who gets down to brass tax and answers a question posed with statistical data, or the wishy-washy dude throwing a temper tantrum, not really saying anything at all.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for fun, can we start spelling that particular expression brass tacks? Other than that, I'm in agreement with your post.
transmogrifier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peace Train wrote:
transmogrifier wrote:

So forgive me if I don't tolerate crap like your post, which offers nothing to the debate except another location for you to stroke your ego.

Errm, actually it offers a very definitive answer to the OP's question; something you were clearly incapable of doing. My answer doesn't get much more black and white, slapps.

I'm curious who the real ego stroker is....the guy who gets down to brass tax and answers a question posed with statistical data, or the wishy-washy dude throwing a temper tantrum, not really saying anything at all.

It was the original question I was complaining about, so the fact that you answered it means next to nothing to me. It was only after you decided that "slappy" was a word you really, really wanted to try out that I decided to even bother to look at your contribution. Lo and behold, just the type of crap I predicted to find given the original premise.
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: h Reply with quote

Peace Train wrote:
Most definitely NOT healthy in the least

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?p=2840128&highlight=#2840128

Read the above carefully. Then read it again.

Then print it out.
Put it on your bedside table.
Read it before you go to sleep. Then again when you wake up.

Oh, unseasoned Korean BBQ wrapped in leafy vegetables is your
healthiest option. Have fun eating that 2-3 times a day tho, bro.

Which bimbimbap are you eating that is a cardiac arrest in a bowl? The ones I"ve seen are all vegetables with some spicy sauce or soy sauce. I feel Korean food is healthy as long as you aren't going to Lotteria or Kimbap Nara on a daily basis.
ewlandon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peace Train wrote:
transmogrifier wrote:

Dude, your link doesnt prove anything about korean food being unhealthy. You show that bibimbop has bad stats nutrition wise. You can surprise people with things that like in any diet.

Also mcdonalds big mac is not a very good example of the worse food, it ssuprisingly not that unhealthy to eat a big mac. The problem with mcdonalds and fast food is people tend to eat it much more often then they should, if you made a hamgburger at home every day and drank cola and made homemade organic french fries the outcome would be the same.

Diet is not about one food item it is about balance. Eating bibimbop every day is probably healthier than eating mcdonalds every day even though it has more sodium and sugar, it is still more balanced. Also bimbimbop is usually made at home with vegies, rice, egg and red pepper paste, I'm sure it's healthier than the fast-food bibimbop that this nutritonal info is for.
schwa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: Lets settle this. Is Korean food "good for you?&qu Reply with quote

sluggo832004 wrote:

...Is korean food good for you? Or just good once a week?

I vote once a day.

I'm a nearly lifelong advocate of the benefits of whole grains but my body (more than my taste!) seems to like glutinous white rice -- it promotes smooth workings. The soups & side dishes, though salty, deliver some decent nutritional benefits. Kimchi in moderation according to worldwide studies is healthful.

This healthy thin older veggie/fishatarian thinks Korean cuisine merits a place in a varied diet. I'm over 13 years teaching here now without having taken a single sick day.

Theres another thread here going on about ginseng. I've consumed a packet of 6-year-old red ginseng drink almost daily for years now, & I believe that may have also played into my staying well.
Kepler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdog2050 wrote:
ewlandon wrote:
this isnt something you can settle.

Rice is a better staple than most starches, it is good for digestion.

Also just look at life expectancy and weight in asian countries compared to the west.

*brown* and *black* rice are good for digestion. White rice is awful for you.

That's not really true. White rice is better for digestion.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2822877

Brown rice has more nutrients but it also has more antinutrients which prevent your body from making use of those nutrients.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9302338

Nations that consume a lot of wheat have higher rates of obesity than nations in which a lot of rice is consumed. So rice does appear to be a better staple.
Kepler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peace Train wrote:

Then print it out.

I think that comparison is misleading since people don't usually consume a big mac without a coke and fries.
ewlandon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kepler wrote:
Peace Train wrote:

Then print it out.

I think that comparison is misleading since people don't usually consume a big mac without a coke and fries.

You're also missing the fact that the nutrional values make no sense. Most bibimbop is made at home and its different every time. Rice, a mixture of veggies, and suace sometimes an egg.

If a fastfood place takes that idea, fries up an egg in a ton of oil, puts a ton of oil on the rice, puts really salty bad sauce with tons of sugar in it, and processed veggies with little nutritional value, you end up with these numbers.

That doesn't then mean the Korean dish of bibimbop has this nutritional makeup.
newb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korean dish is definitely healthier than American only if they lay off on MSG and salt.
fosterman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korean food is extremely salty! it's not good for you.
some side dishes are healthy , vegetables which haven't be drowned in salted
red pepper or salt.
Korea has the highest rate for stomach cancer, it's not just due to drinking.
toby99

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is when I eat dog soup or eel my thingy gets bigger.
highstreet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If by healthy you mean, low fat, low salt content, low everything, then no. But then all cuisine would fall in to the unhealthy category sometime.

I say just eat what you like and burn it off in the gym.
drydell

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine that the obligatory fried egg on top of the bibimbap (it's BAP, BAP BAP as in "rice"not BOP - stop that!) ups the bad nutrition stats. I guess this is a recent thing in Korean food but i don't know for sure...

the original question begs several others -

What do you mean by "korean food"? I.E. home cooking or Kimbapchunguk?

Are you talking about Korean food right now or before the explosion of meat and fat?

I showed a link to the breakdown of the traditional Korean diet previously and this is the diet that has ( like the Okinawans) fuelled the current centenarians...and is very healthy

In terms of stomach cancer - these are the things to be aware of..

Quote:
An increased risk of stomach cancer was noted among people who frequently consume broiled meats and fishes, salted side dishes (salted/fermented fish products) and salty stewed foods, such as soybean paste thick stew. Frequent consumption of mung bean pancake, tofu, cabbage, spinach and sesame oil decreased the risk. Analysis by cooking method showed that risk of stomach cancer from the same foods varied with preparation. For meat and fish, pan frying was associated with decreased risk, whereas stewing or broiling was associated with increased risk. Pickled vegetables increased the risk, whereas fresh vegetables did not. In a recent cohort study in Seoul, green vegetables and soybean foods were associated with a decreased risk of stomach cancer. Case-control and cohort studies have reported that ginseng intake decreased the risk of gastric cancer.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9209012

only one study though - no the gospel by any means..
young_clinton

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's probably many good reasons why rice and soup are stamina givers. Rice is a complex carbohydrate so it's digested more slowly. If you eat too much fat for a meal, it really drains your circulation and lots of sugars are not so good either. Soup means something has been cooked and means there are going to be minerals and vitamins in it without too many calories to drain you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: