Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Puerto Rico and statehood
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nowhere Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Puerto Rico and statehood Reply with quote

If there's a thread I missed it. This, I thought, was the most interesting surprise from Election 2012.

..........................and the silence from major media about it is even more fascinating...........................

It would seem the referendum is insufficient evidence for this to be taken up as a serious request, but...

-PR as a state would tip the scales against the GOP HARD
-GOP stonewalling an attempt at statehood would tip the scales against the GOP HARD
-The fastest way for the statehood movement to move forward would be for some GOP paleo-conservative to start blowing HARD about it

Is the GOP caught between a state and a HARD place?
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing is going to happen in the next couple years since the GOP controls the House and has no incentive to grant statehood.
Kuros

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucheon bum wrote:
Nothing is going to happen in the next couple years since the GOP controls the House and has no incentive to grant statehood.

Quite true.

But if we were to fantasize, we could give the GOP a great incentive: the State of Southern California.

Boundaries

Proposal

At roughly 13 million people, a largely interior State that could be just as accurately be named "East California" would provide ample incentive for the GOP to allow Puerto Rico Statehood, and D.C. Congressional representation to boot. Southern California wouldn't be a guaranteed lock for Republicans, but it would open up a state as populous as Ohio that has otherwise been unavailable during Presidential elections.

Nevertheless, both Sacramento and Washington would have to approve the new State. And that's never really happened before.
sirius black

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite Orange County being conservative and San Diego having a large military presence such a state may stay blue.
Latino, Black, Gay and the very large White liberal set in LA and throughout southern California would go Dem.
The state used to be a fairly solid red until the early 1990s. An anti immigrant proposition in 1994 mobilized the Latino vote against the Republicans who sponsored it as well as the 1992 riots and its been solidly blue since.
schwa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 51st state would really screw up the flag. An asterisk somewhere?

Last edited by schwa on Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:03 am; edited 1 time in total
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GOP are their own worst enemies.

Time for the dinosaurs to become extinct and let a new generation of center-right leaning politicos onto the stage.

NovaKart

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the island that was responsible for Menudo, I'm not saying they shouldn't be a state but just throwing that out there ............
CentralCali

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one at the top of this page is okay. The one at the bottom, not so much.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GOP is no longer representing conservatives. At least not the normal ones. This is why I will probably be voting democrat for a long time. I also would be very surprised if they gain the presidency after Obama. I think they are on a very slow but steady decline. They represent a part of the population that for lack of a better word are just weird.
sirius black

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Republican party will ultimately re-brand itself. Its been that way in the past. When one party loses too often they change. The Democrats changed after '88. There was a moderate/centrist wing of the party that never had a voice before and lost out to the liberals. Through moderate groups such as the Democratic Leadership Council, which sought to distance Dems from unions and be more pro-business, they fielded moderate candidates like Clinton and Gary Hart.

We are seeing signs now that the Republicans are re-thinking themselves. There will be an internal struggle and they may have to lose another election or two but winning will take precedence over ideals.

They are making noise about immigration reform now. My guess is they will go after the latino and asian voters. Some women as well.

They aren't too far behind. They can take back states they have lost recently like Virginia and Colorado and they are close enough in Ohio and Florida to make those two states definitely 'doable'. Add in Penna., Michigan and Iowa as states that are very much within their reach as well.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirius black wrote:
I think the Republican party will ultimately re-brand itself. Its been that way in the past. When one party loses too often they change. The Democrats changed after '88. There was a moderate/centrist wing of the party that never had a voice before and lost out to the liberals. Through moderate groups such as the Democratic Leadership Council, which sought to distance Dems from unions and be more pro-business, they fielded moderate candidates like Clinton and Gary Hart.

We are seeing signs now that the Republicans are re-thinking themselves. There will be an internal struggle and they may have to lose another election or two but winning will take precedence over ideals.

They are making noise about immigration reform now. My guess is they will go after the latino and asian voters. Some women as well.

They aren't too far behind. They can take back states they have lost recently like Virginia and Colorado and they are close enough in Ohio and Florida to make those two states definitely 'doable'. Add in Penna., Michigan and Iowa as states that are very much within their reach as well.

You're much more an optimist than I am. If they manage to work with the Dems to avoid this "fiscal cliff" then pass MEANINGFUL immigration reform, then yes, there is cause for optimism that the GOP has seen the light. Otherwise? People like young_clinton and myself will continue to ignore the party.
Kuros

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puerto Rico's finances are in very poor shape.
Titus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you people any idea how dysfunctional it is?

In what way is PR being a state in the national interest of the United States?

Do you all go around bring dysfunctional people into your home? Why would you do same for your country?

The outcome will be higher spending. There will be a few million more outstretched hands. Is this really the time to be considering such a thing?
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I am not hearing it from friends back home. Voluntary lobotomies without anaesthesia are not all that popular.

On the other hand, anti-democratic voter suppression approaches have a future, if the GOP/movement conservative wing have any say in the matter.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
Have you people any idea how dysfunctional it is?

In what way is PR being a state in the national interest of the United States?

Do you all go around bring dysfunctional people into your home? Why would you do same for your country?

The outcome will be higher spending. There will be a few million more outstretched hands. Is this really the time to be considering such a thing?

You do realize that Puerto Rico is already part of the United States, do you not?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: