Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

is this a red flag? How can I negotiate?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FaceFaceFace

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: is this a red flag? How can I negotiate? Reply with quote

Let me preface this by saying I have read the FAQ about this and still don't know what to think.

I have waited over 2 weeks for my visa number from Korean Immigration and now that it's here I have received panicked emails from the recruiter telling me to send my passport to the consulate and the general 'bali bali' of getting things done.

One part of this was her telling me that due to Christmas the flight costs are high and asked if I could help find a cheap flight. I did a search, sent a link and got the response of 'Ok I checked with the school and they think you should buy it and get reimbursed'.

I asked if I did this, when I would be reimbursed. She told me as soon as I make a Korean bank account (I already have one).
Sounds like the school has no money and is trying to stall paying lots of money up front.

Is this a red flag to anyone else? I don't feel good about it. Should I insist on them paying or will this make waves??

I've already gone through lots of hassle, not to mention expense, with getting this whole visa thing off the ground. I really don't want to have to be out of pocket before starting Sad
YTMND

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've already gone through lots of hassle, not to mention expense, with getting this whole visa thing off the ground. I really don't want to have to be out of pocket before starting

Tell them you already have a bank account or get the ticket and figure the airfare issue BEFORE the hassles next time.
FaceFaceFace

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YTMND wrote:
Quote:
I've already gone through lots of hassle, not to mention expense, with getting this whole visa thing off the ground. I really don't want to have to be out of pocket before starting

Tell them you already have a bank account or get the ticket and figure the airfare issue BEFORE the hassles next time.

I told the recruiter I already had a bank account (to which I heard no reply) and was only informed about this airfare thing yesterday AFTER all my hassles.
YTMND

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FaceFaceFace wrote:
YTMND wrote:
Quote:

I told the recruiter I already had a bank account (to which I heard no reply) and was only informed about this airfare thing yesterday AFTER all my hassles.

"was only informed about this airfare thing yesterday AFTER all my hassles."

How does someone already have a Korean bank account and they don't know about airfare obligations/responsibilities? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

How else did you expect to transport yourself?
FaceFaceFace

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I think there's been a miscommunication of sorts here.

For a start, this is for a hagwon job. Secondly, I have a Korean bank account because I worked in Korea about 6 months ago and have been home ever since.

It's just been a bit of a drama this time to get everything (from the job to the visa stuff) meaning I am worried about being out of pocket at this stage before even having worked a single day at this school.
YTMND

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am worried about being out of pocket at this stage before even having worked a single day at this school.

That is the normal process. Either the school gets you a flight, or you get the flight and they reimburse you.

What were you expecting? Why didn't you get confirmation on this before you started the process?

Scenario A:

Recruiter: We have a school who wants to hire you.
You: Good, send me the contract.
Recruiter: Please sign it and send it to us with all the documents.
You: Certainly sir.

Scenario B:

Recruiter: We have a school who wants to hire you.
You: Good, send me the contract.
Recruiter: Please sign it and send it to us with all the documents.
You: Wait a minute, who pays for the flight? Who books the ticket? I do/don't want to be reimbursed for the flight. I want the school to pay for it/reimburse me.

Which scenario best describes your situation? You have already worked in Korea, you have a bank account, you must have known a flight would be part of this. Why didn't you ask before getting all the documents?

I can understand a first timer without a bank account not thinking of this, but this is normal for hagwons and public schools to do. It is important that if you do not want to buy the ticket initially and get reimbursed that you tell them early on. Don't wait for surprises.

I don't know what made me refuse paying for a plane ticket with the first school I was going to work for, but I am glad I did. I searched around more and got another hagwon that paid for the flight.

Maybe you are best to do that. Simply tell them you don't have the money. Just say it was your understanding the school would pay because of (quote the airfare clause in the contract).

"Sorry, but I can't go unless the school pays."
FaceFaceFace

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your helpful advice, YTMND.

Amongst all your scolding you gave me some good information.

Please don't assume that because I worked in Korea one time that I know everything about jobs and contracts.

This issue simply never came up with my previous job so it caught me by surprise when I was requested to buy my own ticket.

I've been under the impression that hagwons purchase the ticket upfront so I thought I'd come on here to dave's and ask if anyone had any information they could share about this situation.

I'm glad you were able to shed some light, thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: