Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unique Renewal Situation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeavyTZM

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Unique Renewal Situation Reply with quote

I am on a GEPIK contract at a private school. We have other NET teachers at our school, but they are all paid by the school (although our contracts are the same). GEPIK is cutting our funding, therefore my position is done. I will be renewing, but I will not be renewing as a GEPIK teacher. My question is: will I be able to do a simple visa extension? Or do I have to go through all the annoying paperwork because my contract is switching from GEPIK pay to school pay?
YTMND

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
will I be able to do a simple visa extension? Or do I have to go through all the annoying paperwork because my contract is switching from GEPIK pay to school pay?

Not that I know of, but you brought up an interesting new hurdle. Normally, people find a new school, get a letter of release and then transfer after the contract date. Some people on here might say you don't need a letter of release if the contract ends. I take this as a risky move to wait, so I have always made sure a new school was lined up 1 month before I plan on leaving.
HeavyTZM

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YTMND wrote:
Quote:
will I be able to do a simple visa extension? Or do I have to go through all the annoying paperwork because my contract is switching from GEPIK pay to school pay?

Not that I know of, but you brought up an interesting new hurdle. Normally, people find a new school, get a letter of release and then transfer after the contract date. Some people on here might say you don't need a letter of release if the contract ends. I take this as a risky move to wait, so I have always made sure a new school was lined up 1 month before I plan on leaving.

I don't think you understood my situation..or maybe I didn't understand your reply. I'm staying at the same school. This year I'm on an official GEPIK contract but my renewal would be a contract through the school. I'm wondering if this would affect the renewal process for my E2 visa.
YTMND

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeavyTZM wrote:
YTMND wrote:
Quote:

I don't think you understood my situation..or maybe I didn't understand your reply. I'm staying at the same school. This year I'm on an official GEPIK contract but my renewal would be a contract through the school. I'm wondering if this would affect the renewal process for my E2 visa.

I didn't understand exactly, but it seems like it would be the same if not easier because you have a new school, the same one. I don't see how you have anything to worry about. You wouldn't need a release letter.

Your school isn't helping in this? I find it bizarre that you need to worry about this. The school should be the one going to immigration and asking for the appropriate documents. Then they would ask you for your passport.

It's when you take a second school into consideration that we usually have to do the legwork of visiting the new school, signing a new contract, getting the release letter, scheduling move out/in dates, etc...

If it is the same school, it should be a lot easier. Ask the school to talk with immigration. Korean school to Korean immigration is always better than Korean school to English teacher to Korean school to Korean immigration. They will have to talk with immigration anyway. Why involve you in this?
HeavyTZM

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YTMND wrote:
HeavyTZM wrote:
YTMND wrote:
Quote:

I didn't understand exactly, but it seems like it would be the same if not easier because you have a new school, the same one. I don't see how you have anything to worry about. You wouldn't need a release letter.

Your school isn't helping in this? I find it bizarre that you need to worry about this. The school should be the one going to immigration and asking for the appropriate documents. Then they would ask you for your passport.

It's when you take a second school into consideration that we usually have to do the legwork of visiting the new school, signing a new contract, getting the release letter, scheduling move out/in dates, etc...

If it is the same school, it should be a lot easier. Ask the school to talk with immigration. Korean school to Korean immigration is always better than Korean school to English teacher to Korean school to Korean immigration. They will have to talk with immigration anyway. Why involve you in this?

We just had some sudden changes sprang on our department last week, and my supervisor is pretty stressed about it. We've been emailing this weekend because we didn't get a chance to speak last week. She tried to get in touch with immigration last week to no prevail. She was just simply asking if I could check up on it too.

We just don't know if me switching from an official GEPIK teacher to a teacher hired solely by the school would affect the renewal process. Like, would it be seen as a different position and require a whole new visa number?
YTMND

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
She tried to get in touch with immigration last week to no prevail. She was just simply asking if I could check up on it too.

She thought English speaker to Korean immigration would be more effective than Korean supervisor to Korean immigration?

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: