Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

guns
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schwa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: guns Reply with quote

Never owned one. Never fired one. Never will.

Can anyone else here relate?
Quack Addict

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: guns Reply with quote

schwa wrote:

Nope. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. There are enough laws. When people break them, what can you do?

Did you know there are 45,000 deaths per year in America because of cars? Should we ban cars?
banjois

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never owned one, but have shot them, a fair bit. Out in the bush, (the Yukon), where they made some sense. I don't have a clue about auto-loaders, extended magazines, etc. As is natural, considering I had no interest in killing multiple people....
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

banjois wrote:
Never owned one, but have shot them, a fair bit. Out in the bush, (the Yukon), where they made some sense. I don't have a clue about auto-loaders, extended magazines, etc. As is natural, considering I had no interest in killing multiple people....

Yeah, this is my experience as well.. minus the Yukon, + Alberta.
darkjedidave

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm on the opposite spectrum here. I own 9 guns: 5 handguns, 3 rifles and a shotgun. I grew up in the country and have been shooting and hunting since I was 9 and carry a Glock 23 with a concealed carry permit in the US.
12ax7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: guns Reply with quote

Quack Addict wrote:
schwa wrote:

Nope. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. There are enough laws. When people break them, what can you do?

Did you know there are 45,000 deaths per year in America because of cars? Should we ban cars?

Slippery slope argument, nice...

How many of those road accident deaths are intentional?

I've been shooting since I was a child. I was also in the military. I've shot everything from BB guns to rockets. In other words, I've witnessed first-hand the destructive power of firearms, so arguing that guns don't kill... I'm not impressed.

What would you rather have in a fight, a stick or a gun? Exactly.

It's quite simple. Civilians have no business owning assault weapons. Oh, but people can use them for hunting, you say? Hunting with a 35 round magazine? Get out of here. I could hit a dime at 100m when I was just 9.

No, gun control laws are good. The evidence is there if you care to look for it. How many thousands of death are there in the US every year from guns? Compare that to Canada (we have guns, you know...it's just more regulated) and South Korea (you can also own guns here, but ownership is strictly regulated). Marked difference, eh?
JustinC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like shooting, but am not all that keen on guns. I was in the Air Force Cadets and used a rifle then, have been to a few ranges in different countries and used lots of handguns and rifles - and really enjoyed it.
ghostrider

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: guns Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:

It's quite simple. Civilians have no business owning assault weapons. Oh, but people can use them for hunting, you say? Hunting with a 35 round magazine? Get out of here. I could hit a dime at 100m when I was just 9.

An assault weapon could come in handy if you like to hose down the deer at close range.
12ax7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: guns Reply with quote

ghostrider wrote:
12ax7 wrote:

An assault weapon could come in handy if you like to hose down the deer at close range.

The deer would catch your scent and run away before that could ever happen.
highstreet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a few guns, while I'm in favor of some gun control, I don't see it making a big difference in regards to the murder rate.
12ax7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

highstreet wrote:
I own a few guns, while I'm in favor of some gun control, I don't see it making a big difference in regards to the murder rate.

Cognitive dissonance? 170 murders committed with firearms in Canada per year vs. 9100 per year in the US. Heck, 14 per year in South Korea (mostly soldiers, no doubt).
Jyang486

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this article interesting.

http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2012/12/14/the-japan-lesson-can-americans-learn-from-the-country-that-has-almost-zero-gun-deaths/
12ax7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jyang486 wrote:
I found this article interesting.

http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2012/12/14/the-japan-lesson-can-americans-learn-from-the-country-that-has-almost-zero-gun-deaths/

Similar gun control laws in South Korea...and I don't feel I am lacking freedom. Actually, there's something liberating about knowing I can go pretty much anywhere at any time of day and night without being assaulted or mugged.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an assault rife (M4 w/eotech scope), and a gen 4 G19. Come and take them.

my m4

We are also military and both have good educations, vote democrat. We also have two rifles for competition matches, and wife qualified as an expert marksman two months ago, regularly scores 300 on her PT tests.

She also got this two weeks ago. She loves competition.

Battallion coin

While you drunks waste your lives away in smokey bars complaining about your shitty lives and being under-appreciated English teachers, we hone our skills, travel and train.

Battalion coin 2
highstreet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:
highstreet wrote:

Cognitive dissonance? 170 murders committed with firearms in Canada per year vs. 9100 per year in the US. Heck, 14 per year in South Korea (mostly soldiers, no doubt).

What kind of gun control are we talking about? I assumed you meant a ban on assault rifles. I also assumed this thread had something to do with the shooting in CT. According to articles, he only used his handguns. The real issue, at least in this case, seems to be mental health.

Also, doesn't Korea have a high murder rate for being such a small country?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: