Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Coming Election and Implications for English Teachers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waynehead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: The Coming Election and Implications for English Teachers Reply with quote

For most of us, there will likely be little immediate effect, whether the conservative or liberal faction wins nationally and in the superintendent elections in December. But longer term, there may very well be.

I work at one of the "Autonomous Private" schools in Seoul, for example, which the liberal party wishes to abolish.

Generally, I know the broad strokes, but specifically I'm seeking out details, insights, opinions, etc, I just wanted to open a thread for people to share what they think about what's going on in the elections and to inform the uninformed (like me). Share away, plz.
YTMND

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have no idea what will happen.

A new government might promote English education, they might not. 50/50 coin toss without looking at the economy.

Due to the economy, schools might not be financially supported as much. However, there is no known case I am aware of that puts rich parents' children in schools inferior to those around them and in other countries.

This will create a repetition of the government funding public schools to equalize the playing field. To me, it's easy to see that in the long run we will be needed again in the same capacity we were. In the short term, we are going to have to stand by and see when we will be hired again.

If you are lucky, you will be with a school that will ride it out and invest in an English teacher. Between Korean and English, I doubt we will be learning Korean anytime soon. English still has a stronghold globally.
MoneyMike

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see this election changing much for us. The slogan of both parties is some bulls*** about 'economic democratization', which sounds to me to be mostly meaningless. But as I understand it, there's an acknowledgement that the economy needs to be more fair for everyone, so in that sense cutting budgets for public schools probably won't happen. (As public schools benefit the poor more than the rich) Cutting the waygook budget just gives another advantage to kids who can afford to go to hagwans with good foreign teachers.

Just my thoughts, but who knows how it'll actually turn out.
waynehead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any new insights or predictions? From what I've seen it's neck-and-neck, with Park having a slight but persistent edge in the polls. Regardless, I'm looking forward to a day off on Wednesday.
erasmus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the most immediate effect of these elections is the day off. It's also the only one that anyone can speak of with any confidence. We are all itinerant wayfarers anyways and should be ready to pack our bags at a moments notice. Joseph Conrad would have written perceptively about us were he around;as it is we have to make do without a chronicler but accept an uncertain future. I like it like that. Certainty certainly doesn't exist.
randall020105

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:14 am    Post subject: For what it's worth. Reply with quote

I started a thread as well about this... I heard one very strong candidate wants to ban early learning... Whatever THAT may imply.

R.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about either candidate, and have tried to ignore most of it. My wife, however, feels Ms. Park (candidate #1) is little more than a grandmother with cue-cards, and doesn't like her at all, feeling she is not qualified to lead the country.
MoneyMike

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My girlfriend doesn't like Park either, but unqualified? I read an article in Times recently about her, and it made her seem cool under pressure and very experienced with the inner workings of the political system. Apparently she doesn't speak well in public though, which might be what your wife was sayin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: