Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starbucks Wifi
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
highstreet

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Starbucks Wifi Reply with quote

So...quick question.

I went to a Starbucks today and tried to use their wifi. The wifi is provided by "Olleh" and when you connect to it, it takes you to an Olleh page and you have to log in. Tried to sign up and log in, didn't work.

A Starbucks employee told me that if you signed up for your phone with a foreigner registration number, you can't use the wifi. Only Koreans can.Crying or Very sad

Just wondering if this is ALL Starbucks or just the one I went to.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Starbucks Wifi Reply with quote

If that's the case at that Starbuck's then it's probably due to government regulations and applies to all Starbuck's. I don't know for sure, but it sounds like it. Maybe you can purchase a modem and use that at Starbucks. I know for a fact there are people on this forum that do that. I am in fact waiting to here what they have to say.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free wifi that isn't free. Welcome to company-controlled Korea!

Ask the owner of What The Book about his experience with that.
jonpurdy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It used to be provided by Google in Korea. You'd enter your full name (with capitals) and reg. number. I guess it's changed since then.
bluethree

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to a nearby olleh branch and register your device for their wi-fi service. costs 8-9 bucks and you can use it anywhere there's an olleh hotspot (and they're all over the place).
highstreet

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluethree wrote:
go to a nearby olleh branch and register your device for their wi-fi service. costs 8-9 bucks and you can use it anywhere there's an olleh hotspot (and they're all over the place).

I don't want to pay for wifi. I don't need it that often. Most independent cafes have wifi for free. I just assumed Starbucks did as well, I mean they make enough money.

Also the Starbucks employee said its free, only to Koreans though Crying or Very sad
JustinC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racist wifi and bad coffee? I didn't think Skankybucks could get any worse.

Hyperbolic post is hyperbolic
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: h Reply with quote

I think it might be true about it's only free to Koreans. I tried to log in with my arc number and it wouldn't load the page, but when my g/f logged in it worked for her. I wonder if that will start being a trend with all wifi now?
cdninkorea

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should complain to Starbucks about it. They're usually quite receptive to customer complaints (Starbucks Korea may not be [I don't know], but Starbucks America is).
happiness

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah it was free with the name in capitals and the reg number, but that disappeared like last week.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustinC wrote:
Racist wifi and bad coffee? I didn't think Skankybucks could get any worse.

Hyperbolic post is hyperbolic

Is it Starbuck's? I think the problem is government regulations.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

highstreet wrote:
bluethree wrote:

I don't want to pay for wifi. I don't need it that often. Most independent cafes have wifi for free. I just assumed Starbucks did as well, I mean they make enough money.

Also the Starbucks employee said its free, only to Koreans though Crying or Very sad

When I was in Thailand you could buy an AIS modem with 60 hours with a 6 month expiration for 100 US dollars. I'm sure Korea has something like that. You could use that any place you would want to go to.

Starbucks in Thailand only has a WiFi service that you pay for (5 US for one hour). I just used a modem that was a lot cheaper.
420bro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Starbucks - Free wifi for all Reply with quote

I use it all the time in a variety of different Starbucks. In English you can sign in with either your alien reg. card or your passport number. Not that hard really.

N.B. if you want to use starbucks wifi sign up on their page not the Olleh one which isnt free.
420bro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Starbucks - Free wifi for all Reply with quote

I use it all the time in a variety of different Starbucks. In English you can sign in with either your alien reg. card or your passport number. Not that hard really.

N.B. if you want to use starbucks wifi sign up on their page not the Olleh one which isnt free.
highstreet

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Starbucks - Free wifi for all Reply with quote

420bro wrote:

I tried, didn't work. Guess I should try again. I assumed the employee knew what she was talkinga bout
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: