Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seoul Unis hiring English instructors with no MA in Mar
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try outside of Seoul. With a university schedule, you should have plenty of time to go for the masters. It's what I'm doing.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But are schools actually paying you for this Masters? I mean if I'm being offered 2.0 million won to go and take on extra debt, why would I bother? If my pay scale goes up quite well, then it's worth my time. But a uni paying 2 million and wanting a Master's. Are they kidding, me?
I'm With You

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:
But a uni paying 2 million and wanting a Master's. Are they kidding, me?

University salaries are low. Often these jobs have a light teaching load during the week and during the summer and winter breaks, but they don't pay very well.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm With You wrote:
Swampfox10mm wrote:
If you think this industry will be able to support many of us in the next 5 to 10 years, you're in for a big shock -- MA with experience, or not.

Make no mistake about it, I fear teaching in Korea is on a growing downward trend, and will be into a full-on nosedive within 5 years (if not four).

You're smart to be looking at it like this. Taiwan and Japan have already reached this point. That, combined with a more culturally inward-looking youth, doesn't speak well for the English teaching profession in those countries. Korea isn't there yet, but it's just a matter of time.

But after nearly 10 years of university teaching experience and a master's in TESOL, what are you going to do back home? I keep hearing how the transition is not always pretty.

I have 10 years of experience in another industry, and could get back into that. We're not all recent college grads who came to Korea for our first jobs.

Not sure I'd want to do what I did before, but as I stated earlier, I am in the process of figuring out what I might train to do next.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan Rogers wrote:
Swampfox10mm wrote:
Focused retraction of the industry for the next 4 to 5 years is my guess. After that, I can see it dropping off quickly. I wonder if Korea will be more interested in young, cheap, and pretty teachers by then, or more experienced?

There have been people on this site for many years saying the end of ESL is near. It never happened.

So you think there will still be so many great jobs around when the schools are gone, eh?

If you define the "end" as not a single teacher left in Korea, then you would be correct. But only a fool would assume that's what we're saying here.

I stand by what I said about a focused retraction in the industry, given that birth rates are so low 40% of schools will have to close.

Do you intend to receive payment for teaching to empty classrooms?

Quote:
What that means for the nation's 40 public universities and 400 private colleges is still being debated across the nation, but the writing is on the wall. Education Minister Lee Ju-Ho warns that student enrollment at Korean colleges will plummet by 40 percent in the next 12 years. By 2016 there will already be more university places than high-school graduates, and many institutions will be forced to shut their gates or merge in what is likely to be a very painful downsizing for a nation that reveres education.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:
Swampfox10mm wrote:
If it means anything, our school has at least 4 long-timers on staff with more than 5 years of experience just at this one school (I have 7). Some have prior experience at other universities. We are a smallish private school.

A few of us are studying other things, or making plans for the major changes taking place in the next 5 years. My office partner, for example is finishing a few more credits toward an accounting major. He is planning on changing to that field back home, if necessary.

I'm still mulling over what I plan to do. In a few years, I might have to separate from my family and attempt to find a job back home. My wife and daughter would stay here while I gain a foothold in the USA -- not sure my wife will go for this, but we'll see.

If you think this industry will be able to support many of us in the next 5 to 10 years, you're in for a big shock -- MA with experience, or not. Make no mistake about it, I fear teaching in Korea is on a growing downward trend, and will be into a full-on nosedive within 5 years (if not four).

Even if there are half as many positions in 5 years as there are now, it would still be a lot more than when I first came to Korea based on a quick comparison of the number of E2s issued in the '90s with the ones currently issued. With my credentials and experience, I have nothing to worry about.

By far, I'd venture to say, the numbers of those E2's issued for university positions in 2002 went to BA-holders. Now, with the advent of online learning and the mere fact that more educated individuals have come here for work, there is a far, far higher ratio of MA's working in the industry, compared to 2002. There are also many more Ph.D's.

Many of these people have, or will have, a great deal of university teaching experience once student numbers plummet. That means, when 40% of schools are gone, there will be a very large number of jobless MA's with experience floating around in the job pool.

Your experience may not count for as much as you think, by that time. Please keep in mind that you will also be older. It's a sad fact, but many schools (not necessarily the best) would much rather have a young, energetic, attractive, and pliable foreign teacher they can pay less -- even at the university level.

I'm in the same boat as you.

We are, after all, window dressing (for the most part).
happiness

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew it would be this way.

Ive been here for 13 years, and I just have a BA. Ive been told about tefl to get an elementary school job (got one, no deskwaming, much better salary than epik and all that, and just a BA, I got hired because I speak Korean, so he could warm to me faster). I never thought I needed some damn tefl, and as much as I want a Masters, no way would I do it for these jobs. NO BLEEPING WAY..and the debt..yuck in 2012, that would be stupid here.... I also worked in a HS for a year and a half. Great job.

Japanese EFL have a rising requirement of speaking some Japanese. I think Korea, with this, is going that way too.....When I read all of this, Im sure they want someone who will "fit in" better, thus the experience part.

IMHO the best jobs is where the give you a mission and leave you alone here.

Koreans are all about fitting in, so of course, a tefl/masters done outside of Korea isnt going to mean much here really, BUT experience in fitting in in a culture thats about NOTHING but fitting in is the ticket.

No?

Lol, when I was looking for a new job on ESLCAFE, I talked to one recruiter who kept trying to sell me the TEFL online course and all, over and over. and I went and got an afterschool program that didnt need it at all, better hours and pay. There you go.
happiness

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of these people have, or will have, a great deal of university teaching experience once student numbers plummet. That means, when 40% of schools are gone, there will be a very large number of jobless MA's with experience floating around in the job pool.

We are, after all, window dressing (for the most part).[/quote]

sure, that fine, im tall and fit, that said, my kids are awesome at spelling really out there words and they use alot of various expressions they model after what i say. the parents are very happy. I dont think Im window dressing in this sense, so thats cool.

My PhD gf says the same thing is happening now. She just doing adjunct work and probably doesnt want to go on to professorship. She says it wont be a financially feasible option in a few years, too many Korean phDs.

I always say, the best jobs in Korea of kindies and high schools ipsi programs, followed by afterschool programs. not any clout, but theyll be solid for a while.

AND these jobs will want people who have experience in KOREA with Korean cultures, the shiny new young college grads dont seem to be mixing in too well after all
happiness

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

We are, after all, window dressing (for the most part).

sure, that fine, im tall and fit, that said, my kids are awesome at spelling really out there words and they use alot of various expressions they model after what i say. the parents are very happy. I dont think Im window dressing in this sense, so thats cool.

My PhD gf says the same thing is happening now. She just doing adjunct work and probably doesnt want to go on to professorship. She says it wont be a financially feasible option in a few years, too many Korean phDs.

I always say, the best jobs in Korea of kindies and high schools ipsi programs, followed by afterschool programs. not any clout, but theyll be solid for a while.

AND these jobs will want people who have experience in Korea with Korean culture, the shiny new young college grads dont seem to be mixing in too well after all
Gorf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A person with a BA in Art History from Harvard could get a job teaching English faster than a person with an MA in English from U Mass. It's the same politics and connections, as always is with the jobs people actually want.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC_Gal 2.0 wrote:
Try outside of Seoul. With a university schedule, you should have plenty of time to go for the masters. It's what I'm doing.

Weren't you working for a hakwon?
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorf wrote:
A person with a BA in Art History from Harvard could get a job teaching English faster than a person with an MA in English from U Mass. It's the same politics and connections, as always is with the jobs people actually want.

Good god, no! Please don't tell me we're about to be hit with a deluge of Harvard grads with a BA in Art History?

I may as well quit and go home now!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: