Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cyanogen Mod on a Korean phone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scotticus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: Cyanogen Mod on a Korean phone? Reply with quote

Hey all,

I'm not exactly technologically illiterate - build my own computers, etc - however I know very little (if anything) about rooting phones. I was curious if anyone has rooted their Android phone in Korea and if they had any problems with it. I have basically given up hope that LG is going to update the Galaxy SII HD LTE to 4.1 (still on a late version of 2.3), thus my question here.
Beeyee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same phone with LG and there is an update to 4.0. Connect your phone to Samsung Keis software to get it.
phatrick

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can read Korean (google chrome can translate) or have a friend to help you, these two sites are the best for rooting/dev/roms/etc for Korean phones.

http://cafe.naver.com/develoid
http://www.matcl.com/

or you can try searching XDA http://forum.xda-developers.com/

I have an S3 but the LG versions of the phone seem to get the least amount of support but I don't know about the S2.
Scotticus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beeyee wrote:
I have the same phone with LG and there is an update to 4.0. Connect your phone to Samsung Keis software to get it.

I'm assuming I'll need the Korean-language Windows version, right? I only have access to a Mac right now, and I didn't see an OSX version on the Korean website. Did I miss it, or do they just not have one? I tried the one from the Samsung UK website and it installed and recognized my device, but (fairly obviously) said it wasn't a device you could update via that program.
phatrick

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know for my s3 i downloaded kies from the usa website and it works fine.

To be honest though I don't usually use kies to update my phone. I found myself plugging in my phone and sometimes it would recognize it, update it and other times not. It seems to be a common problem. A little research on your part on how to do it, you can just download the newest firmware from (not modified, straight from samsung) http://www.sammobile.com/firmware/ and flash it with ? on a Mac or Odin on a PC.
Beeyee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotticus wrote:
Beeyee wrote:

I'm assuming I'll need the Korean-language Windows version, right? I only have access to a Mac right now, and I didn't see an OSX version on the Korean website. Did I miss it, or do they just not have one? I tried the one from the Samsung UK website and it installed and recognized my device, but (fairly obviously) said it wasn't a device you could update via that program.

No it doesn't have to be the Korean language version. I'm also on a Mac but bootcamped into Windows 7, installed Kies, plugged in my phone and pressed update.
Scotticus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downloaded it from both the UK website (where it says my device wasn't supported for a firmware update) and then the US website (same program and same result). The Sammobile website doesn't even have my model listed SHV-E120L. Le sigh.
phatrick

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If sammobile does not have the firmware for your phone you can contact them on twitter https://twitter.com/SamMobiles or their website. I contacted them one way or another for them to start downloading the shw-m440s firmware's. I think they only carry what has ever been requested.

There is another website http://samsung-updates.com/device/?id=SHV-E120L but the latest firmware they have for the phone is 4.0.4. Are you sure that 4.1 has been released for your phone?
Scotticus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 4.1 would be if I rooted it and installed a custom rom. I'd be fine even with 4.0, to be honest. I figure I'm just going to have to wait till my Windows laptop gets here and then do it on that with the Korean version of the software.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: