Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FINALLY got Netflix on my non-rooted Android phone in Korea.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhhh ok....?

Looks like we have a winner for stupid comment of the week. Dude, you need to go back to troll school. I almost feel sorry for you after that. Laughing
alongway

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swampfox10mm wrote:
Uhhh ok....?

Looks like we have a winner for stupid comment of the week. Dude, you need to go back to troll school. I almost feel sorry for you after that. Laughing

Are you not going out of your way and paying extra to pay more to access a service that doesn't want your business?
If they wanted your business they wouldn't make you jump through all these hoops to access them.

I find it extremely unlikely that there is a single thing they offer that you couldn't otherwise download.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alongway wrote:
Swampfox10mm wrote:
Uhhh ok....?

Are you not going out of your way and paying extra to pay more to access a service that doesn't want your business?
If they wanted your business they wouldn't make you jump through all these hoops to access them.

I find it extremely unlikely that there is a single thing they offer that you couldn't otherwise download.

With my mobile phone, instantaneously able to watch in HQ, while riding on the subway? Yeah, find me a torrent with that kind of flexibility...

BTW: Hoops = legal blocks. Netflix doesn't block itself from people like me (overseas) on purpose. The movie industry folks are the ones that don't want content crossing borders. It's all about contracts, control, legal rights, etc.

Think about it, and stop making a fool of yourself.
alongway

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swampfox10mm wrote:
alongway wrote:
Swampfox10mm wrote:
Uhhh ok....?

With my mobile phone, instantaneously able to watch in HQ, while riding on the subway? Yeah, find me a torrent with that kind of flexibility...

BTW: Hoops = legal blocks. Netflix doesn't block itself from people like me (overseas) on purpose. The movie industry folks are the ones that don't want content crossing borders. It's all about contracts, control, legal rights, etc.

Think about it, and stop making a fool of yourself.

If you have Android, it's trivial to download and copy enough content over for your trip ahead of time, and you don't lose your show with sometimes spotty coverage.

Yes, hoops = legal blocks, in that they don't want to legally sell you the content. if they don't want to legally sell you the content, why go out of your way and pay more money for a service that isn't legally available here? If they wanted your money and business they'd make it available here, that money is only getting funnelled back to the movie studios. They are the rights holders, the only reason it's not available here is because they don't want it available here.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always have the option of downloading and pre-planning a torrent. You, however, do not have immediate access to the library I have at virtually any location.

And those who have family with a Netflix account already would pay nothing for the actual content... only $55 a year for a VPN connection that has several other uses.

I can also use my VPN to make calls for free to USA phones via Google voice. You need a VPN for this, and it is far more reliable than other services. And, of course, there are a number of other websites with blocked content that a VPN opens you up to. One thing I enjoy is the ability to comment on some US news sites that block IPs from abroad. Just another example.

Your mind is made up, anyway. To each his own.
shostahoosier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the Hotspot Shield VPN for my iPad and it has worked quite well for much less than $55 a year.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shostahoosier wrote:
I bought the Hotspot Shield VPN for my iPad and it has worked quite well for much less than $55 a year.

I'm a little wary of this company:

Quote:
In short I paid for the Elite version. It never connected then they had me download an updated version that worked for only one day and then stopped working again. The program or someone who hosts the program also tried to log into my gmail account and I got a warning from gmail. This program and company are a scam.

Read more: Hotspot Shield - CNET Download.com http://download.cnet.com/hotspot-shield/#rateit#ixzz2EL06Vm6F

Have read lots of negative information about Hotspot Shiled on the web, so I have never bothered to try it. Might work for others, though. Anyone is welcome to give it a try and report back. If it works well, I'm not against saving a few more dollars per year (provided my personal information is safe).
swigs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Netflix overseas is a bit like comfort food. It's a large library of high quality shows, with out having to worry about downloading 10's of gigs to your hard drive, or cell phone, as it's all you can enjoy in the cloud.

Plus with new original shows airing soon, like arrested development, it's not a bad deal.
philthor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: spotify? Reply with quote

swamp (or anyone),

Do you have any idea how to get the Spotify app on the S3? I've tried turning off all of my location services and logging in behind my VPN--even setting up a new google play account, but I can't get it. Tried to get spotify via the Amazon app store, but that failed, too.

On an interesting side note. I added spotify to my laptop and already had it on my iTouch, and now it works on both devices without me logging into a VPN first.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned that, too.

Spotify says it will only work on a phone via the most expensive paid service, costing $10/month. So I haven't bothered to look, I guess.
philthor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Pandora working without net connection :) Reply with quote

Today I logged into my vpn on my network, opened Pandora, and while enjoying some 80s tunes, I realized I hadn't turned on my Wifi on my Galaxy S3. Turns out I can now log into my vpn without having to be on Wifi.

One point, though, to keep in mind is that I have the paid version of Pandora (I listen enough and detest the commercials, so $36 for a year of advanced radio is worth it).

I restarted my phone, tried it again, and it still worked. Same thing for Netflix (but I don't want to use that too much as video uses a ton of data).
Adam Carolla

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alongway wrote:
Yes, hoops = legal blocks, in that they don't want to legally sell you the content. if they don't want to legally sell you the content, why go out of your way and pay more money for a service that isn't legally available here? If they wanted your money and business they'd make it available here, that money is only getting funnelled back to the movie studios. They are the rights holders, the only reason it's not available here is because they don't want it available here.

See, you're so close to the right answer but then you miss it and get back on the short bus.

Netflix would, I'm sure, LOVE to be able to offer service to everyone in the world. Why wouldn't they? More subscribers=more money. But you are right, it's the big movie studios, NOT Netflix, that control the rights to when and where Netflix can legally offer its service.
alongway

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except following your thinking, wouldn't the studios want to offer it to the whole world as well and get more money?

Either way the end result is that they don't want to legally sell you the content, so why are you going out of your way to give them money they don't want?
The money you are giving netflix is still going back to the studios.
and you think I'm the one on the short bus..
Adam Carolla

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alongway wrote:
Except following your thinking, wouldn't the studios want to offer it to the whole world as well and get more money?

Either way the end result is that they don't want to legally sell you the content, so why are you going out of your way to give them money they don't want?

What do you mean they don't want to legally sell you the content? What makes you think Netflix CAN sell you anything in Korea? You do realize there are rights issues about where a company can and can't do business, yes? This is particularly true with streaming, DVD's, blu-ray, and digital content. This really shouldn't be news to you. Did you know that you can't order many games and movies from Amazon if you live in Korea. I bet you can't get Amazon streaming without a workaround in Korea either. Do you know why this is? More than likely it's a rights issue, which means, despite what you claim, they CAN'T legally sell you the content. Again, back on the short bus with you.
alongway

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam Carolla wrote:
alongway wrote:

What do you mean they don't want to legally sell you the content? What makes you think Netflix CAN sell you anything in Korea? You do realize there are rights issues about where a company can and can't do business, yes? This is particularly true with streaming, DVD's, blu-ray, and digital content. This really shouldn't be news to you. Did you know that you can't order many games and movies from Amazon if you live in Korea. I bet you can't get Amazon streaming without a workaround in Korea either. Do you know why this is? More than likely it's a rights issue, which means, despite what you claim, they CAN'T legally sell you the content. Again, back on the short bus with you.

Yes it's a rights issue, an artificial one the studios are creating. Don't you realize that some of that fee you pay every month is going back to those same studios who don't want to give those companies the rights to sell to you? Again: The money you are spending is going back to companies who do not want to sell you to via that service. You're going out of your way to give money to companies that don't want it.

Yes, you can order DVDs off amazon, have you not heard of the DVD region system? they also don't want to sell you those DVDs if they can help it, because if they actually made the DVD available in Korea, they'd want to charge you a different price for it.

if you like we could probably arrange to get a picture drawn for you..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: