Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Manila

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
austinmc86

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Manila Reply with quote

I am planning a trip to Manila within the next few weeks. Yes, I know that it is not the best place in the Philippines, but the price is right.

Furthermore, where is the best place to stay? Looking for a safe place with plenty to see and do. I am thinking Makati or Ermita. Safety is my biggest concern, especially after reading the thread on this board.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Manila Reply with quote

austinmc86 wrote:
I am planning a trip to Manila within the next few weeks. Yes, I know that it is not the best place in the Philippines, but the price is right.

Furthermore, where is the best place to stay? Looking for a safe place with plenty to see and do. I am thinking Makati or Ermita. Safety is my biggest concern, especially after reading the thread on this board.

Grab a cheap domestic flight to Cebu and enjoy your vacation.
If you are meeting someone, take them too. Still cheap at twice the price.

Wad

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Manila Reply with quote

austinmc86 wrote:

Lots to do in Manila and many short day trips outside of Manila are available. Suggest you stay in Makati but Ermita (can be intimidating) is close to all the naughty night life.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Makati is much nicer. Stayed in Ermita one night cause I missed my connection, I knew there were some run down areas in the Philippines, but wow what a hell hole!
alwaysbeclosing100

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: re Reply with quote

i have done manila as a tourist. there are some good markets and i would suggest a tour of the best churches in manila. the churches would be my #1 pick. i spent a day photographing jeepney art also.

do not underestimate manila especially at night. it can be very dangerous.

Last edited by alwaysbeclosing100 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:35 am; edited 1 time in total
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

alwaysbeclosing100 wrote:
do not underestimate manila especially at night. i can be very dangerous.

Do not underestimate Manila in the daytime either. It can be very dangerous.

7107 islands to choose from.

Lots of great old architecture, churches and jeepney art.

There is NO good reason to go to Manila unless you have family or important business there.

alwaysbeclosing100

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:

ttompatz what do you know about batanes? ever been?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

alwaysbeclosing100 wrote:
ttompatz wrote:

ttompatz what do you know about batanes? ever been?

It used to be difficult to get to, very rural and very undeveloped.

IF you have the time to get there and don't mind going back in time about 150 years it is a great place to explore.

If you are more urbane then it probably won't be on your list if places enjoyed. At 6:00pm they roll up the few streets that do exist and put the cows to bed. Dawn is at 5:30am and life starts to move at that time.

Yaya

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need to withdraw money in the Phils, do so at an HSBC ATM. You can take out up to 40,000 pesos (around 1 mln won) per transaction. ATM fees in the Phils are pricey, as all Philippine banks have a cap of 10,000 pesos per transaction (though Citibank allows up to 15,000 pesos).

I agree about Makati. I stay there and Ermita IS a hellhole and dangerous. One poster recently wrote about getting kidnapped and robbed of 2 mln won by armed men in the Ermita region. The police are corrupt in the Phils and could jack you, too.

I like live music and Manila has plenty of those bars. A good site on what is going on in the city is spot.ph
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: