Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FBI Background Check Expedited....impossible?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lorenchristopher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: FBI Background Check Expedited....impossible? Reply with quote

I'm sure this has been beaten over the head with a hammer on here, but I just want to make sure.

I went through and "FBI Approved Channeler" to get mine done, and after paying the extra money it turns out the check is not official and so cannot be Apostilled.

Then I heard you can call your congressman and they can expedite it for you, but after speaking with a lovely lady at my congressman's office she assured me that it cannot be done, and showed me on the FBI's website where is even states that.

So, there is no way to expedite that process....am I right? Just triple checking here...lol.
shamash

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congressman's lady is lying to you. Mine did it for me. I got my CBC taken care of in about a week and a half from me sending it away to getting it back.
lorenchristopher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shamash: Do you have any government website that says a congressman can expidite the process? Even the FBI's site said they cannot. (She asked for me to give her something that says a congressman can expedite it....this is why I'm asking)
overdrive2023x

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try another congressman's office. Or do they have to verify that you are in their district?
globusmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lorenchristopher wrote:
shamash: Do you have any government website that says a congressman can expidite the process? Even the FBI's site said they cannot. (She asked for me to give her something that says a congressman can expedite it....this is why I'm asking)

I believe the idea is that they can "help" you do this if their office has a connection at the FBI and is willing to contact them. From what I've seen, there is no statement of this power, because it is not an officially recognized option (hence why not everyone does it). It is a favor, basically. If your rep's office is being obstinate, ask to speak to a supervisor or the rep themselves. The person who is blocking you is probably not aware that she can use her office to help her constituents around red tape. Or she just doesn't want to help. Could be either. My CRC was processed in one day after I called my rep. Good luck.
ovid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you tell me what an FBI channeler is? I'm also going through the same thing. I was planning on just paying someone to do it for me since it's such a pain in the ass to do .
lorenchristopher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovid wrote:
Could you tell me what an FBI channeler is? I'm also going through the same thing. I was planning on just paying someone to do it for me since it's such a pain in the ass to do .

An FBI Channeler is an FBI-approved company that will get a COPY of your official background check within a matter of days. I thought everything would be just fine since on the FBI's website they have a list of the few companies that they approve to expedite it.

The problem though, is that since you're getting it through a channeler and not directly from the FBI, it cannot be Apostilled...only notarized (I didn't know this ahead of time). Anyway the company that expedited my attempted Apostille gave me a separate Apostille and so I've given all of that to kimmi. They said they will have to review it and let me know in a few days if they will accept it or not.

Will keep you posted, but I would say for future reference don't go through a channeler. Sad
DanseurVertical

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lorenchristopher wrote:
ovid wrote:

An FBI Channeler is an FBI-approved company that will get a COPY of your official background check within a matter of days. I thought everything would be just fine since on the FBI's website they have a list of the few companies that they approve to expedite it.

The problem though, is that since you're getting it through a channeler and not directly from the FBI, it cannot be Apostilled...only notarized (I didn't know this ahead of time). Anyway the company that expedited my attempted Apostille gave me a separate Apostille and so I've given all of that to kimmi. They said they will have to review it and let me know in a few days if they will accept it or not.

Will keep you posted, but I would say for future reference don't go through a channeler. :(

I'm feeling pretty crushed right now.
I had forgotten about the request process and fingerprinting. I submitted some request for information under the Freedom of Information Act. The document I got is useless, of course.

If anyone else can provide more information about CBC channeling & apostille, please do ASAP.
lorenchristopher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So yeah, I found out that immigration will not accept it through an FBI approved channeler. This is obviously frustrating since it is an official copy approved by the FBI and only took 3 days as compared to now having to wait about 3 months.

I'm afraid there is just no way to get this expedited. I've heard of people getting their congressman to "make a call" and speed up the process, but I have yet to see any official website that says this is possible. Sad
globusmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

globusmonkey wrote:
lorenchristopher wrote:

I believe the idea is that they can "help" you do this if their office has a connection at the FBI and is willing to contact them. From what I've seen, there is no statement of this power, because it is not an officially recognized option (hence why not everyone does it). It is a favor, basically. If your rep's office is being obstinate, ask to speak to a supervisor or the rep themselves. The person who is blocking you is probably not aware that she can use her office to help her constituents around red tape. Or she just doesn't want to help. Could be either. My CRC was processed in one day after I called my rep. Good luck.

Repeated for emphasis. You are NOT going to see this officially listed on any website other than expat forums like this, because it is NOT an official service. Your congressman is there to serve constituents - that means YOU. After you follow the requirements on the FBI site and it has been received, give it a try. Be polite and specific about what you need and see what happens.
DanseurVertical

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

globusmonkey wrote:

Repeated for emphasis. You are NOT going to see this officially listed on any website other than expat forums like this, because it is NOT an official service. Your congressman is there to serve constituents - that means YOU. After you follow the requirements on the FBI site and it has been received, give it a try. Be polite and specific about what you need and see what happens.

Regarding official sites, a very quick google search renders this link:
http://www.fbi.gov/news/news_blog/expedited-background-checks

This isn't an official site detailing expedited services like you were writing about, but ...

I have since changed my plans the spring semester (found a better work option) But this may still be relevant to others.
globusmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That page details the approved Channelers. The FBI channelers are what the previous poster was having trouble with. My understanding of that option is it is for background checks that might be required for in-country verification (i.e. jobs in the US).

Korean immigration, it seems, will not accept the channeler obtained CRCs.

There are still no official sites that will list congress representative expedition, because it is not an official policy. It will either work for you or it won't. Anyone living abroad will need to learn to negotiate bureaucracy, so consider it good practice in working between the lines.

I'm so glad I got a job with an E-1 visa so I don't have to do this stuff anymore. Good luck and order early!
young_clinton

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanseurVertical wrote:
globusmonkey wrote:

Regarding official sites, a very quick google search renders this link:
http://www.fbi.gov/news/news_blog/expedited-background-checks

This isn't an official site detailing expedited services like you were writing about, but ...

I have since changed my plans the spring semester (found a better work option) But this may still be relevant to others.

The expedited CBC's look different and actually cannot be apostilled. They won't be accepted by Korean Immigration.
Latina714

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for this useful information. I was about to use an FBI approved channeler but after reading this post it seems like it would be a waste of money. I guess I can call the Korean Consulate to double check.
pmwhittier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:17 am    Post subject: It is VERY possible to expidite your CRC Reply with quote

I came to Korea in March of 2012. But it almost didn't happen. I requested my CRC (the correct, official procedure - fingerprints, request for 'division head' to notarize, sent via UPS with return envelope provided) in October of 2011 planning on a start in March 2012.

I recieved my CRC (complete with the nifty notary seal) in the mail in December of 2011. Plenty of time! No worries! So I placed it in a good 'ole United Stated Postal envelope and sent it to an apostille service for the federal apostille.

Then the USPS managed to lose it. Without a trace! 2 months of waiting, all down the drain.

Then I looked on my congressperson's website. There was a section about "what can I help you with?" which had contact information and even a printable form you could use to relay your sob story to the congressperson's office. I printed, and proceded to blab about lost mail and fractured dreams, etc... I then faxed the form to the office of said congressman.

Shortly there after, (I mean like 30 minutes) I received a call from the congressman's office. Judy was a really nice lady and understood the frustrations of lost mail. Luckily, she also responded to my "southern gentleman" phone flirting.

She told me to send another "request" packet (fingerprints, return postage, request for notary, etc) and call her back with the UPS/FED-EX (whatever you choose to ship with) tracking number.

After I sent out the request packet, I called Judy from Congressman Bob's office and told her the tracking number. They have a special list of numbers that they can call government agencies and get higher level service. This is used in case they need to rush travel documents for interns or for political reasons.

Once the packet arrived at the FBI building in West Virginia, it was immediately intercepted by a "boss" who walked it through the process, without it ever being put in que.

I received my second CRC back in 4 days, total time including overnight shipping. The first one was 9 weeks. I sent the second CRC to the apostille dudes via FED-EX and got it back in a week.

I know this is a long read, but it very much can be done. You have to be very kind to the office staff of your local congressperson (flirting doesn't hurt, if you're good at it) and beg for help, don't demand. Make sure it's a real issue, not just impatience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: