Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two-thirds of British adults overweight - NHS report

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimskins

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Two-thirds of British adults overweight - NHS report Reply with quote

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/dec/20/overweight-obesity-england-men?CMP=twt_gu

I don't think we can tease our American cousins about the weight problem in their country anymore. The statistics in that article are shocking.

In 2011, the number of obese or overweight adults in the US was running at 69%, we're not that far off:
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/overwt.htm

I'm so grateful that I have parents who are -for want of a better word- 'fatists.' I definitely had potential to be a dough-boy.
cj1976

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not surprised in the least. I go back to the UK every couple of years and I am always amazed at how many lardies I see wobbling around. The food culture and education concerning nutrition in the UK is abysmal. People are so happy to shovel absolute crap down their necks without stopping to think about what they are doing. It won't be long before we end up like Fatland USA, with 300 pound teenagers and people being airlifted out of bed.
JustinC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad diet and lack of exercise; when did throwing kids out of the house in the afternoon and weekend become so frowned upon? How is getting childhood diabetes safer than playing in the park? Yeah you're more likely to get bruised and grazed climbing trees than with an Xbox but you're also more likely to grow up with healthy habits.
highstreet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMI measurement is very inaccurate.
JustinC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

highstreet wrote:

Not so sure if it's as inaccurate for kids as it is for adults, as you're unlikely to get muscle-bound kids.

But, yeah, for adults it's a pretty broad brush. Mine is 24 and I'd need to put on 21 kilos to become obese! To be honest I reckon another 10 and I'd be puffing going up the stairs. Some big guys can be really physically fit but they also like their food. I think the measurements for saying if an adult was overweight or obese were reduced ten years ago so many more fall into that category now.
joelove

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched a pretty good documentary recently called "The Weight of the Nation" --had 4 parts over an hour each. There's concern a lot of young people today may die younger than their parents do. Looks like one of the best things to reduce if not eliminate is soda. Another problem is what kids are eating in schools. And the amount of food served in restaurants is often enough for twice as many people.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

highstreet wrote:

True but the huge beer gut and triple chins many are sporting are pretty self-explanatory....
silkhighway

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

highstreet wrote:

BMI is a cheap, accurate, and effective statistical measurement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: