Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have you ever "read" through the dictionary?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zackback

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Have you ever "read" through the dictionary? Reply with quote

Since many of us are English teachers I wonder if anyone has ever read through the dictionary to get more interesting and/or unusual vocabulary words to use in class or to impress the ladies.
And I ain't talking about those little dictionaries but ya know the mammoth size ones.
Squire

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cover to cover. I could barely put it down Very Happy

I've sometimes been looking up a word and then idly skimmed through a few pages for the hell of it. Actually I often do that with my Korean dictionary. It reminds me of words I've forgotten, and sometimes I stumble upon useful new words I could use

Last edited by Squire on Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
schwa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up poring through dictionaries & pride myself on a relatively huge vocabulary. Not sure what good that is, but I play a mean game of scrabble.
Fox

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Anki for my language studies and I have it set to show me 5 new uncommon or rare English words everyday in addition to my new language-study words. Those I know already get deleted, and those I didn't know stay in the repetition system until I know them well. One interesting thing I've found is how often I have an intuitive sense for what a rare word means which is actually slightly (or even completely in some cases) off from the real definition. It only takes one or two minutes a day, so I don't really see any downside to it.
12ax7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Have you ever "read" through the dictionary?"

Three different language ones: French, German, and English.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which English dictionary version do I read through? I think Webster's.
Leon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
I use Anki for my language studies and I have it set to show me 5 new uncommon or rare English words everyday in addition to my new language-study words. Those I know already get deleted, and those I didn't know stay in the repetition system until I know them well. One interesting thing I've found is how often I have an intuitive sense for what a rare word means which is actually slightly (or even completely in some cases) off from the real definition. It only takes one or two minutes a day, so I don't really see any downside to it.

How do you do that? I have Anki, and that sounds like a worthwhile thing to do. Is there a premade deck that you use?
Fox

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded a pre-made deck with about 4,000 words from either the SAT or GRE in it (I don't remember which anymore, and I renamed the deck). There are lots of such decks available on the website, though I like this one because it has example sentences, synonyms, and antonyms included.
zpeanut

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol at the post about impressing the ladies in school.

Nope, never read through the whole thing but that's due to my short attention span and preference for other kinds of reading material. I do like the urban dictionary though and there is The Devil's Dictionary, which is entertaining Smile

I did used to go through the vocab page of Readers Digest sometimes. Way too hard though usually.

My vocab sucks. I learn new words when my students ask about them lol!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: