Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Man burned alive for allegedly defiling Koran
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
young_clinton

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

northway wrote:
Leon wrote:
bucheon bum wrote:
Leon wrote:
I can't help but wonder why people are so worried about Iran, which looks civilized in comparison, when Pakistan exists. I mean it's more violent, less stable, and actively sponsors terrorists that actively attack America. Yet they are our ally.

Don't forget that whole nuke thing too.

Honestly there isn't a country in the world that I feel less comfortable with nukes than Pakistan. Yet Iran is a problem for Israel, so it all of a sudden becomes the number one threat to world wide peace and security. Although while we are on this subject, in terms of sponsoring terrorism, and the ideology that promotes terrorism, not to mention the billions of dollars that fund it, What state can compare to Saudi Arabia.

Right, I feel much safer in a world with Iranian nukes than one with a nuclear armed Pakistan. I'm pretty sure that Iran will keep track of its weapons, for the sake of pride and legitimacy if nothing else. I have no faith in Pakistan to keep track of anything, even if it wants to.

Pretty reasonable assessment, however the leadership of Iran has been antisemetic which concerns me.
Leon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:
northway wrote:
Leon wrote:
bucheon bum wrote:
Leon wrote:
I can't help but wonder why people are so worried about Iran, which looks civilized in comparison, when Pakistan exists. I mean it's more violent, less stable, and actively sponsors terrorists that actively attack America. Yet they are our ally.

Honestly there isn't a country in the world that I feel less comfortable with nukes than Pakistan. Yet Iran is a problem for Israel, so it all of a sudden becomes the number one threat to world wide peace and security. Although while we are on this subject, in terms of sponsoring terrorism, and the ideology that promotes terrorism, not to mention the billions of dollars that fund it, What state can compare to Saudi Arabia.

Right, I feel much safer in a world with Iranian nukes than one with a nuclear armed Pakistan. I'm pretty sure that Iran will keep track of its weapons, for the sake of pride and legitimacy if nothing else. I have no faith in Pakistan to keep track of anything, even if it wants to.

Pretty reasonable assessment, however the leadership of Iran has been antisemetic which concerns me.

Why? If they are more rational and self interested than they are antisemetic, which by all accounts they are, then who cares. Anyways, why are the Israelis so valued over any other group, I mean I'm much more worried about the fact that the Pakistani's don't like India than how any Iranian leader feels. I'm much more concerned about the after math of our actions in the region than anything that Iran does.
Titus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:
northway wrote:
Leon wrote:
bucheon bum wrote:
Leon wrote:

How and why?
visitorq

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading about the whole "wipe Israel off the map" quote that the media constantly attributes to Ahmadinejad. Apparently it's a total farce and a deliberate mistranslation (the original said something along the lines of "turn the page of history on the regime in Israel").

I could be wrong, but I honestly haven't seen much "antisemitic" rhetoric from him either. Criticizing Zionists' expansionist and pro-war policies (both in Israel and the US) does not an anti-Semite make.
Fox

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if the Iranian leadership were antisemitic, that's not invasion-worthy. It's not even really concern-worthy.
Leon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visitorq wrote:
I was reading about the whole "wipe Israel off the map" quote that the media constantly attributes to Ahmadinejad. Apparently it's a total farce and a deliberate mistranslation (the original said something along the lines of "turn the page of history on the regime in Israel").

I could be wrong, but I honestly haven't seen much "antisemitic" rhetoric from him either. Criticizing Zionists' expansionist and pro-war policies (both in Israel and the US) does not an anti-Semite make.

Also Ahmadinejad is not really a true source of power, and is on his way out with his power declining. It's a bit frustrating that much of the people talking about Iran don't really get the complexities of the Iranian system.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visitorq wrote:

This is apologia from Professor Juan Cole about what Ahmadinejad said.

Christopher Hitchens does a good job destroying this myth that Professor Cole has spread about.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/fighting_words/2006/05/the_cole_report.html

Quote:
There are two separate but related matters here. For a start, let us look at the now-famous speech that Ahmadinejad actually gave at the Interior Ministry on Oct. 26, 2005. (I am using the translation made by Nazila Fathi of the New York Times Tehran bureau, whose Persian is probably the equal of Professor Cole's.) The relevant portions read:

Our dear Imam [Khomeini] said that the occupying regime must be wiped off the map and this was a very wise statement. We cannot compromise over the issue of Palestine. � Our dear Imam targeted the heart of the world oppressor in his struggle, meaning the occupying regime. � For over fifty years the world oppressor tried to give legitimacy to the occupying regime, and it has taken measures in this direction to stabilize it.

Ahmadinejad then denounced the recent Israeli-Palestinian negotiations over Gaza as a sellout and added, "If we get through this brief period successfully, the path of eliminating the occupying regime will be easy and down-hill."

Not even Professor Cole will dispute that, in the above passages, the term "occupying regime" means Israel and the term "world oppressor" stands for the United States. (The title of the conference, incidentally, was The World Without Zionism.) In fact, Khomeini's injunctions are referred to twice. Quite possibly, "wiped off the map" is slightly too free a translation of what he originally said, and what it is mandatory for his followers to repeat. So, I give it below, in Persian and in English, and let you be the judge:

Esrail ghiyam-e mossalahaane bar zed-e mamaalek-e eslami nemoodeh ast va bar doval va mamaalek-eeslami ghal-o-gham aan lazem ast.

So yes he didn't actually say it. He quoted Khomeini who said it and then agreed with it (calling it a "wise" statement).

But that is mere semantics.

Last edited by TheUrbanMyth on Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
comm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheUrbanMyth wrote:
Quote:
Our dear Imam [Khomeini] said that the occupying regime must be wiped off the map and this was a very wise statement.

Not Israel, the regime.
He just wants to bring freedom and Democracy to the Israelis through regime change. I've been conditioned to support that.

Last edited by comm on Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

comm wrote:
TheUrbanMyth wrote:
Our dear Imam [Khomeini] said that the occupying regime must be wiped off the map and this was a very wise statement.

Not Israel, the regime.
He just wants to bring freedom and Democracy to the Israelis through regime change. I've been conditioned to support that.

Come now I never said any such thing. Laughing Laughing
comm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheUrbanMyth wrote:
Come now I never said any such thing. Laughing Laughing

Your adoration for the Imam is already out, no need to deny it Very Happy
madoka

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunmen in northwest Pakistan killed five teachers and two aid workers from a non-governmental organization Tuesday as they were driving home from work. The group's director said they may have been targeted for their anti-polio work.

Militants in the past have accused health workers of acting as spies for the U.S., alleging the vaccine is intended to make Muslim children sterile. Last month, nine people working on an anti-polio vaccination campaign were shot and killed. Four of those shootings were in the northwest where Tuesday's attack took place.

The attack was another reminder of the risks to women educators and aid workers from Islamic militants who oppose their work. It was in the same conservative province where militants shot and seriously wounded 15-year-old Malala Yousufzai, an outspoken young activist for girls' education, in October.
. . .
The teachers were killed along with two health workers, one man and one woman. Their driver was wounded. They were on their way home from a community center in the town of Swabi where they were working at a primary school for girls and adjoining medical center.

The injured driver told investigators that the gunmen stopped the vehicle and removed a boy � the son of one of the women � before indiscriminately opening fire, said police officer Fazal Malik.

Swabi police chief Abdur Rasheed said most of the women killed were between the ages of 20 and 22. He said four gunmen who used two motorcycles fled the scene and have not been apprehended.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: