Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Calendars" and the first day of the week

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zackback

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: "Calendars" and the first day of the week Reply with quote

What is wrong with you people putting Monday as the first day of the week?! Sunday is! Get it right!

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view?p=2012+calendar&back=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%3Fei%3DUTF-8%26p%3D2012%2Bcalendar&w=771&h=961&imgurl=www.worldnewsinn.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2011%2F06%2F2012-calendar.jpg&size=144KB&name=2012-calendar.jpg&rcurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.worldnewsinn.com%2Fcalendar-2012.html&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.worldnewsinn.com%2Fcalendar-2012.html&type=&no=1&tt=115&oid=4f38e524eeaf9b78f88bf6ffcb1d041b&tit=Calendar+2012-+2012+Calendar&sigr=11eql7o1j&sigi=121sefe9u&sigb=11nmtsjmp&fr=yfp-t-701

When I ask students to tell me the days of the week and they start off with Monday I immediately correct them and say "No, Monday is not the first day of the week."
comm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: "Calendars" and the first day of the week Reply with quote

Zackback wrote:
When I ask students to tell me the days of the week and they start off with Monday I immediately correct them and say "No, Monday is not the first day of the week."

That's funny, I thought there were 2 days in the weekend, Saturday and Sunday. And if Sunday is part of the "weekend" then it definitely is not the beginning of the week.
Zackback

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/2312563

short answer: religion
Long answer: originally people did not take two days off, just one. Saturday, this being the weekend or the "Sabbath"(day of rest) then came christianity. Now the early christian church started worshipping on sunday (traditionally you couldn't do anything on saturday but rest) in 321 A.D. constantine decreed sunday to be the day of worship and that businesses/shops/markets should be closed for the day. thus creating a second day off. So technically friday and saturday are the weekend. But since people generally get sunday off too, it feels more like the weekend than friday and is thought as such as well, thereby crating the falacy that saturday and sunday are the weekend.
--------------
I'd like to see any book, newspaper or something along those lines that when it says "On the first day of the week..." it is understood as Monday. If it says "first day of the work week..." then ok yeah it's Monday but these kind of "calendars" are just nonsense.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: "Calendars" and the first day of the week Reply with quote

comm wrote:
Zackback wrote:

That's funny, I thought there were 2 days in the weekend, Saturday and Sunday. And if Sunday is part of the "weekend" then it definitely is not the beginning of the week.

Do you put bookends next to each other or do you happen to place, say, books between the bookends? That's the way I was always taught why Sunday and Saturday of the same week are called the weekend: Sunday is one end of the week and Saturday is the other.
schwa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for wednesday.

Woden is the chief Anglo-Saxon/Teutonic god. Woden is the leader of the Wild Hunt. Woden is from wod "violently insane" + -en "headship".

How better to start your week?
artyom

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: "Calendars" and the first day of the week Reply with quote

CentralCali wrote:
comm wrote:
Zackback wrote:

Do you put bookends next to each other or do you happen to place, say, books between the bookends? That's the way I was always taught why Sunday and Saturday of the same week are called the weekend: Sunday is one end of the week and Saturday is the other.

Do you say what will you do next weekends (plural) or what will you do next weekend (singular)?
drcrazy

Location: Pusan. Yes, that's right. Pusan NOT Busan. I ain't never been to no place called Busan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask a Mayan.
comm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: "Calendars" and the first day of the week Reply with quote

artyom wrote:
CentralCali wrote:

Do you say what will you do next weekends (plural) or what will you do next weekend (singular)?

Indeed. If there is one "weekend", then it is one unit comprised of two days. Checkmate?

Last edited by comm on Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
ricochet

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there sud be a global official 3 day weekend comprising of Monday the first day of the week. i dont like Mondays. i wud rather shoot the whole day down sleeping off Friday night, Saturday and Sunday binges. Sad

you ever hear of Brenda Spencer? how bout the Boomtown Rats?

check her out Arrow http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnlMW1ehyu4

she inspired this great tune Arrow http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kobdb37Cwc Cool

im sorry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: