Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gangnam Nationalism: Psy�s anti-American rap
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steelrails

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya-ta Boy wrote:
( General Robert E. Lee and that German dude with the funny mustache still have fans)

Since you know so much about Robert E. Lee, please enlighten us with tales of his nefarious exploits. I'd love to hear your "expertise" on the issue.

Quote:
The answer was "inertia". It is there because it is there.

This- you have programs in place, money and exchanges between the US and whatever country its in. Plum assignments and such. Basically, if you close it down a lot of people are out of the job and the incentive for the ROK to purchase US weapon systems declines. Suddenly they're looking at the Saab Gripen or the Rafale and not whatever they can get from the US.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump because I want to hear Ya-ta's retort.
Kuros

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert E. Lee was a great general. Legendary, really. But he chose the wrong side. He fought for a slave-holding society with expansionist desires. He did so not only in the Civil War, but in the Mexican War. (I know Steelrails is familiar with what Grant said about his regrets as to the latter and how it introduced the former).

Still, the casual equivalence of Robert E. Lee with Hitler jars even with me.
Titus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:

Still, the casual equivalence of Robert E. Lee with Hitler jars even with me.

Yata is your typical American mainstream liberal. For them, any opposition to liberalism is Hitler. Here's an example:

http://www.theblaze.com/blog/2012/12/07/chris-matthews-to-wsj-you-cant-prove-that-i-may-have-fabricated-a-churchill-quote/

Ok. So Matthews thinks WW2 was fought between liberals and libertarians. That "arts funding" was an issue. This is the mentality.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralCali wrote:
TheUrbanMyth wrote:
First off voter turn out was only 70.8 percent which was divided among the candidates

Those of voting age who did not vote declared by their abstention that they agree with the majority of those who did vote.

Generally an abstention occurs because someone doesn't care or can't decide.

If they had agreed with the majority then they would have voted with the majority.

As it turned out it was almost evenly split with Roh winning by a mere 2 %.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

comm wrote:
I'd probably feel the same way. Maybe we could get China to put a few big military bases in U.S. cities... let them drive tanks and APCs around our streets and have the Chinese soldiers only sometimes be subject to American law.

What would entitile China to put a few big military bases in U.S. cities? Did they ever save the USA from anybody (like Japan), also that's the same reason the US is in South Korea (The US removed the Japanese and for the southern half of Korea the idiot regimes of Mao and Kim). All the Chinese seem to know how to do is stab other countries in the back.
comm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:
What would entitile China to put a few big military bases in U.S. cities? Did they ever save the USA from anybody (like Japan), also that's the same reason the US is in South Korea

So we should have French military bases in the U.S. because they were instrumental to our revolution?

No wait, that logic doesn't hold for the other 100+ countries where the U.S. has military bases anyway, does it?
Do I need to list the many, many countries that we did not "save" where the Imperial United States has military installations?
nautilus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

comm wrote:
Do I need to list the many, many countries that we did not "save" where the Imperial United States has military installations?

Its a globalized world. Renting land in other countries to park your helicopters ain't much different to outsourcing your factories or allowing foreign consortiums to buy up your national companies.
catman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has there ever been a poll done on the question of US military staying in Korea?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: