Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HIV/AIDS Tests as a Proxy for RacialDiscrimination?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Los Angeloser

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: HIV/AIDS Tests as a Proxy for RacialDiscrimination? Reply with quote

The title asks a question and I'd answer with a resounding "Yes!"
http://www.scribd.com/doc/117627609/HIV-AIDS-Tests-as-a-Proxy-for-Racial-Discrimination
Much credit to the two authors are due with the well rounded story of what native English teachers are up against in S. Korea, citings, original source translations, quotes, etc...
ethanshin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only it is racial discrimination, it is a violation of human rights.
UN Human Rights Council has repeatedly asked the Korean government to get rid of that policy but the government hasn't budged.
Los Angeloser

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ethanshin wrote:
UN Human Rights Council has repeatedly asked the Korean government to get rid of that policy but the government hasn't budged.

The English teacher hate group(Anti-English Spectrum) that was partly responsible for these tests admit it(see page 31) but there's got to be some here that don't think so. Rolling Eyes
nautilus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EthanShin wrote:
Not only it is racial discrimination, it is a violation of human rights

Most Koreans do not think about these things for long enough to arrive at such a logical conclusions.

Many Koreans think foreigners live a paradaisical life of luxury in Korea, they make ten million a month each, they all do drugs and the tiny few that get caught are sent to luxurious prisons with much better conditions than Koreans.

And there is never anything in their media to counter this tripe.
Dodge7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"An influential citizens� group has claimed that foreign teachers are infecting Koreans with HIV"
Funny...Like there's no possibility the ajusshis going abroad on business and picking AIDS from dirty prostitutes aren't bringing it back and infecting the public.
AbbeFaria

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a conversation with my girlfriend over the weekend she admitted that she used to think all the foreign teachers were AIDS carrying drug users. Hell, she might still think that and only believe that I'm an exception to the rule. It didn't occur to me to ask at the time.
nautilus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AbbeFaria wrote:
In a conversation with my girlfriend over the weekend she admitted that she used to think all the foreign teachers were AIDS carrying drug users. Hell, she might still think that and only believe that I'm an exception to the rule. It didn't occur to me to ask at the time.

I have korean friends who've known me for years and think the same, lol. Laughing

I really am the exception to the rule...
Benjamino

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to Thailand for Winter break and I've been warned by my school about the dangers of HIV. I'm glad they reminded me as I was hell bent on going bare back with a series of hookers on soi cowboy.
yesmynameisweird

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: HIV/AIDS Tests as a Proxy for RacialDiscrimination? Reply with quote

Los Angeloser wrote:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/117627609/HIV-AIDS-Tests-as-a-Proxy-for-Racial-Discrimination
Much credit to the two authors are due with the well rounded story of what native English teachers are up against in S. Korea, citings, original source translations, quotes, etc...

How anyone can read that paper and still want to teach in korea is beyond me #ungrateful #hypocrites
AbbeFaria

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: HIV/AIDS Tests as a Proxy for RacialDiscrimination? Reply with quote

yesmynameisweird wrote:
Los Angeloser wrote:

How anyone can read that paper and still want to teach in korea is beyond me #ungrateful #hypocrites

There is a lot of good in this country.
yesmynameisweird

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: HIV/AIDS Tests as a Proxy for RacialDiscrimination? Reply with quote

AbbeFaria wrote:
yesmynameisweird wrote:
Los Angeloser wrote:

if they could definitively replace every foreign worker there with a korean person, or even a robot, they would do it in the blink of an eye. Don't kid yourself. They don't want you there. Do you really want to help those people
AbbeFaria

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: HIV/AIDS Tests as a Proxy for RacialDiscrimination? Reply with quote

yesmynameisweird wrote:
AbbeFaria wrote:
yesmynameisweird wrote:
Los Angeloser wrote:

if they could definitively replace every foreign worker there with a korean person, or even a robot, they would do it in the blink of an eye. Don't kid yourself. They don't want you there. Do you really want to help those people

They probably would. K Teachers are cheaper and they don't have to pay for the planes and apartments. They're easier to fire when the do a piss-poor job.

But explain to me how that is different from any company or business? They will always try to get by with the least expensive option for completing the job. I don't know where you work now but it must be a great place. They most line the streets with rose petals when you walk and your boss must give you weekly raises just because you have such a sunny disposition.

They don't want me here (according to you) but they hired me, flew me half way around the world, got me an apartment within 10 minutes walk of my school in one of the most expensive neighborhoods in the whole country, pay me and give me health insurance. They treat me with respect which is more than I can say for some employers I've had in my home country.

There are segments of this society that are not happy we are here, just as there are segments of my society that think we need to ship all the black people back to Africa and execute the gays. But as adults we learn not to cast dispersions on entire populations for the actions of a minority.

Well... Some of us learn that, at any rate.
rollo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then leave korea if it is that bad. i had a pretty good time in Korea. Made some coin met interesting people, saw some interesting things, learned a lot actually.
Giving someone a job, a plane ticket and an apartment based on where they were born is definitely discrimination!!!

The requirements for Koreans to work as teachers has nothing to do with your situation. We are transient guest workers . Can not compare them.

A test for H.I.V. is a good thing. Don't you think it is a responsible thing to do. Doctors encourage getting tested.

E2 is not a race.
12ax7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: HIV/AIDS Tests as a Proxy for RacialDiscrimination? Reply with quote

AbbeFaria wrote:
They're easier to fire when the do a piss-poor job.

As a parent, I know for a fact that's not true at all.
HELICIS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ethanshin wrote:

Human rights?!? Bullshit! Why should they let an AIDS vector in and potentially infect their citizens? Happens all the time around the world. Their country, their rules. Don't like it? Go to another country!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: