Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Got fired today...update part 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Sultan of Seoul

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any update op?
Dog Soldier

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not as such yet, been away travelling and seeing friends, enjoying the free life.

Basically agreed on a sum, 4.85 million, but the sticking point is the Letter of Recommendation, he's saying he wants me to ask for it nicely, which I don't have a problem with, but my missus who has had to speak to him a couple of times in my absence (he called her) is angrier than I am and has basically told him to do one.

But in the long term, the LOR isn't as important, everyone in this town knows the director, she has a reputation and most Korean teachers move on very quickly in truth. Very rare for them to stay more than 9 months.

Applied for my D10 visa before heading away, so when I get back to my town I'll probably get it sorted by taking the money.

If he tries to tuck me over in any way I'll just call the NPS.

One thing that makes me think he's a bit desperate though is he keeps calling me and when I bother to speak to him he keeps trying to get me to take my salary (2.35) and we'll sort out the rest later.

I keep telling him lets sort it all out at the same time and have told him next week it's on.

Why he feels the need to call my girlfriend and get her to take my salary I'm not sure.
TheFoodie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, was really enjoying this post. What happened next? Update OP?
I'm With You

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheFoodie wrote:
Ok, was really enjoying this post. What happened next? Update OP?

He posted here a few days ago on Dec. 27th. I'd like to know how it worked out for him, also. But seeing how he never wrote anything further here, I assume then that he finally got his money.
Dog Soldier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for the non update.

This was back in April/May.

After a few back and for meetings where the director said that he didn't owe me anything apart from my final month salary so I left him with the solicitors letter.

Some more to'ing and fro'ing and the long and short of it is I got about 6 million out of it, minus the pro-rata rent from the apartment I sub let. That was roughly all I wanted out of the deal so I was happy. And it was a lot better than the final salary that he was offering (2.5 million).

Kind of ended amicably, though he said I should never have threatened to call the pension office. My reply was that he shouldn't have threatened me with the police on the day he tried to fire me.

We both walked away, me the happier of the two at a guess.

Then I went to Vietnam, did my CELTA, traveled and now I work in a university. So yeah...happy days.
Dog Soldier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just before anyone asks about the discrepancy in figures quoted (4.85 V 6 approx).

I basically got pissed off with it all, told him I don't need the letter of recommendation and that I was happy to go to the labour board, show them all the records I had and talk about his non payment of health/pension.

It was a risky maneuver, but truthfully he'd annoyed me so much, me and the gf were arguing about it so I just wanted to go out in a blaze of glory.

What really saved my ass was having my contracts from the last 3 years and the fact that he made a mistake. In the final negotiation he said he didn't have to pay severance due to me going to London the summer previous. He kept asking me to confirm it. My reply was to check the dates of my contract and what does my contract say. Here is when I knew I had him. This carried on for a bit and finally when I could see that he was working himself up I told him that I had gone to London two years previously, I had proof in my passport and he owed me the severance. So we agreed on the final figure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: