Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone have their past EPIK employment verified?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
passport220

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Anyone have their past EPIK employment verified? Reply with quote

I worked in the English Program In Korea (EPIK) during the 2006/2007 school year. Now, I am a candidate for a non teaching job in the USA. A requirement of the new job is to have employment verified for the last ten years. I don't need to have anyone at EPIK give an opinion of my job performance, only verification of the time that I worked.

I have the general contact information for the EPIK office. Anyone have luck getting their EPIK employment verified? Was it straight forward or does anyone have any tips to get it done?
peacemaker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an employment certificate (재직증명서 or 경력증명서) that employers here use. I've just got them from two different employers recently. I'm sure you could get that document either by contacting EPIK or by contacting your school directly. The only problem I see is that it is in Korean. It seems conceivable that EPIK might be willing to make an English version though, as it's quite a simple form. Otherwise you could probably get it officially translated somewhere.
Evanzinho

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going through this same situation as well right now. I applied for a job with a financial services firm here in the States, and like you they want the last ten years of employment. The company that is doing the background check is having a very hard time getting ahold of my former employers in Korea. But unlike the OP, they actually want to talk to my former supervisors.
newb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with that.

HR Manager: Hello. I'm calling to verify employment of Mr. XXX who worked there from 2006-2007.

Korean Admin: Uuuuuhhhh.... uuuuuuhhhhh....uuuuuuhhhhhhhh....<click>

HR Manager: Hello? Hello? Hello?......

HR Manager: <dials again> Hello. I'm calling to verify employment of Mr. XXX who worked there from 2006-2007.

Korean Admin: Uuuuuhhhhh....<click>

HR Manager: <dials again> Hello?

Korean Admin: ....<click>
isitts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have their past EPIK employment verified? Reply with quote

passport220 wrote:
I worked in the English Program In Korea (EPIK) during the 2006/2007 school year. Now, I am a candidate for a non teaching job in the USA. A requirement of the new job is to have employment verified for the last ten years. I don't need to have anyone at EPIK give an opinion of my job performance, only verification of the time that I worked.

I have the general contact information for the EPIK office. Anyone have luck getting their EPIK employment verified? Was it straight forward or does anyone have any tips to get it done?

I've contacted my schools directly and (luckily) the teachers I worked with still worked there so I was able to get the documents from my respective schools. If you were on good terms with any of your teachers, they might be your best bet. If not you should still be on record somewhere...though could be more difficult to get. Personally, I would tell your prospective employers...well, nevermind.

Wrote the following on this thread:
http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=220171&start=15

Quote:
It�s called a 재직 증명서 or 고용사실확인서 (I think the latter is what you ask for if you�ve already left the school). You shouldn�t need to draft anything for them. They know what it is. If for some reason they don�t, you can look at an example here:�

http://www.bizforms.co.kr/bizcontents/qna/qna_55.asp�

...or they can check their G/EPIK documents book.

It has a sample on that link. If you are able to find someone at your school or the main office willing to help you, that sample might help get the wheels turning.

Good luck.

EDIT: Crap! The link doesn't work anymore. But anyway, they'll know what it is if you tell them the Korean.

Last edited by isitts on Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
isitts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newb wrote:
Good luck with that.

HR Manager: Hello. I'm calling to verify employment of Mr. XXX who worked there from 2006-2007.

Korean Admin: Uuuuuhhhh.... uuuuuuhhhhh....uuuuuuhhhhhhhh....<click>

HR Manager: Hello? Hello? Hello?......

HR Manager: <dials again> Hello. I'm calling to verify employment of Mr. XXX who worked there from 2006-2007.

Korean Admin: Uuuuuhhhhh....<click>

HR Manager: <dials again> Hello?

Korean Admin: ....<click>

Laughing

Exactly what I'd have HR do if they wanted this document. You try getting it. Korea's the only place that's required these stupid things. Whatever happened to giving references? And who gives a crap where you worked 10 years ago? Rolling Eyes
Skippy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, I think getting a COE is easier from Public School administrations, then hagwons. Sorry I have no contact info to give.

Also since it has been over 5 years, the school does not have to provide one. 3 years is all you get.

Still, I hope you can get it. Please do tell if you get it.
Evanzinho

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isitts wrote:
And who gives a crap where you worked 10 years ago? Rolling Eyes

For financial services jobs, they ask because certain securities licenses you need require you to list your employment history for the last ten years. If I get this job I will need to get a Series 6 and 63 license for variable investment products, so the ten year reporting is required by FINRA (Financial Industry Regulatory Authority).
isitts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evanzinho wrote:
isitts wrote:
And who gives a crap where you worked 10 years ago? Rolling Eyes

For financial services jobs, they ask because certain securities licenses you need require you to list your employment history for the last ten years. If I get this job I will need to get a Series 6 and 63 license for variable investment products, so the ten year reporting is required by FINRA (Financial Industry Regulatory Authority).

Only because they decided to arbitrarily require it. There�s nothing magical about ten years.

�Though it is enough time for establishments close down or relocate, for old employers to quit, be fired, or otherwise move on with their lives. To have to drop in on these people from outer space after ten years is a bit ridiculous.

To avoid this problem we might, as I suggested here or in the other similar thread that I posted a link to, get a proof of employment document every time we leave our current employer. But then how many of these documents is enough? I�d needed to get proof of employment from my school in Japan when I first came to Korea in 2009. Even then it was a pain, but I was lucky that two of my co-teachers were still there.

Then my new school in 2012 wanted proof of employment from my school in Japan, too, and I said no can do. All my teachers have transferred now. And while the main office may still have a record of me having been there, what are they going to say that�s useful to my current prospective employer?

No, it�s ridiculous. References from recent employers are the most prospective employers can reasonably expect�especially if they want to be able to talk to someone about my employment.

Anyway, sorry. That�s my rant.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: