Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

6 Harsh Truths That Will Make You a Better Person
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
World Traveler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: 6 Harsh Truths That Will Make You a Better Person Reply with quote

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-harsh-truths-that-will-make-you-better-person/
schwa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot to take to heart there. Good share this new years day.
comm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should probably be read by everyone everywhere.
JustinC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very, very, VERY good article. Thanks for linking that, World Traveler, have a free internet.
manlyboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the share. Great writing. I'll be keeping an eye out for more stuff from this guy. May borrow heavily from this article when my kids get older, too.
flakfizer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Six guidelines for alpha wannabes."
i_teach_esl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another great article about being an adult:
http://www.vice.com/read/the-vice-guide-to-adulthood

"We are so sick of you full-grown babies running around aimlessly�with your shoes untied and overdraft-fee receipts falling out of your pockets..."

im turning 37 this year and becoming increasing age-ist each and every day.
PRagic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot on. Internalize the message and live it.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good father raises well adjusted kids who will go through their lives feeling loved and being able to love. The nice guy brightens up the lives of people he comes into contact with, makes others feel good about themselves and will be remembered with fondness when he dies.

The Alec Baldwin character only thinks about what he can get from people, makes others feel bad about themselves, encourages greed and envy, cajoles people into spending money on stuff they don't want just so he can spend huge amounts of money on things he doesn't really need. And this is the kind of attitude we're supposed to aspire to? Great film but I don't think we were intended to use it as a self improvement guide.
PRagic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol...agreed, but pretty sure the point of including that was to drive home the point hat the world doesn't owe you a living, and nobody is going to kiss your arse for just showing up to work. We've all met plenty of people who apparently ascribe to both, that they for some reason deserve better while their background, qualifications and performance negates it.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The scene was just an example of the kind of pep talk that might be useful for people in certain situations. Such as sportsmen before a game, soldiers before going over the top and salesmen before cold calling. People in those situations need psyching up because they are being prepared to a certain extent to go against their natural human instincts. They need to be able to block out any self doubt and any thoughts of the feelings or sufferings of their opponents/victims. It is in no way an 'honest and accurate account of what the world is going to expect from you.' Your friends, your family, your work colleagues, your wife/husband won't expect you to feel this way. Even the majority of bosses wouldn't. Some bosses in some job situations might.
recessiontime

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crux of the article is that society only cares about what you can do for them regardless of your own personality. This is incredibly offensive yet true. Everyone wants to be around super models regardless of their personality, and at the same time want nothing to do with an ugly fat girl. So, become someone of value is the drive home message and I have to agree with it despite how depressingly telling it is about human nature
PRagic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, you missed the point in a way. A large unattractive person who can contribute a skill or ability in demand will have it going on. Looks won't necessarily make or break you. Madaline Albright, Hilary Clinton, Susan Boyle, and so forth...
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The crux of the article is that society only cares about what you can do for them regardless of your own personality. This is incredibly offensive yet true

Noi it isn't. Of course in a job situation a potential employer will want to see what you can do for them but apart from jobs like selling real estate or on Wall Street, a nice personality is a major part of this. For example, think about how many people on university hiring committes have posted on here saying what they look for in future employees and they all go on about about how well they think they will fit in with the other people on the staff. What boss would ever want to hire anyone like the Alec Baldwin character in a job situation (like most are) where people have to work as part of a team?

His only other point concerned the old misogynistic rant about women not wanting nice guys which has been done to death in the past. Yes some women are on the look out for guys who can do magic tricks or earn big salaries and others want guys who say nice things to them and won't cheat.

Quote:
Everyone wants to be around super models regardless of their personality

Again wrong. I don't want to be around supermodels for several reasons. I'm happily married, I find them unattractive anyway (too skinny) they're all a different age group to me and I've heard they're generally dull to talk to (too obssessed about things that don't interest me)

Quote:
The crux of the article is that society only cares about what you can do for them regardless of your own personality

What exactly do you mean by society? Employers and potential partners, see above, Friends, family, colleagues etc? Yes of course they want you to do things for them like be nice to them, listen to them, make them laugh, be pleasant and polite, be loyal, tell them you love them etc...It's called human interaction and I agree people who don't provide any of these things will probably not be very successful in life.
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
I don't want to be around supermodels

This is not right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: