Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Current Application Guidelines For Public School Jobs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wonkavite62

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Current Application Guidelines For Public School Jobs? Reply with quote

In 2009, I applied for (and got) a public school job in Gyonggi province (not through GEPIK I think).
The application was a painful process. The worst thing was that I fell ill for a time, and could not fly out. So I stayed with the people I was working with in the U.K.
I remember that the school had insisted on "proof of employment" letters for jobs in the distant past. I did not have these letters, and that could have caused problems. When sending my resume, and appplication form, do I only need to include the employment I can provide proof of?
What are the full current public school application requirements for U.K. citizens? I would like to know if it's broadly similar to in 2009 or have the requirements gotten tougher?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Current Application Guidelines For Public School Jobs? Reply with quote

wonkavite62 wrote:
In 2009, I applied for (and got) a public school job in Gyonggi province (not through GEPIK I think).
The application was a painful process. The worst thing was that I fell ill for a time, and could not fly out. So I stayed with the people I was working with in the U.K.
I remember that the school had insisted on "proof of employment" letters for jobs in the distant past. I did not have these letters, and that could have caused problems. When sending my resume, and appplication form, do I only need to include the employment I can provide proof of?
What are the full current public school application requirements for U.K. citizens? I would like to know if it's broadly similar to in 2009 or have the requirements gotten tougher?

About the only change from 2009 is the addition of:
=degree must be a certified true copy with an apostille affixed.
=CBC must be the original with an apostille affixed.
=Competition is getting stiffer and the number of replacement jobs is in decline. In many cases a TEFL (100 hrs) is needed to get to the top 1/2 of the pile (and get a job).

Dani81

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following is straight from Epik's website:
"At this point, it is almost impossible for level 3 applicants to secure a position with the Epik progam...
However, starting from the Fall 2013 term, when we recommend candidates to the POE/MOEs we will give a priority to the applicants possessing a minimum 100 hour TEFL or TESOL with at least a 20 hour offline, in-class component, as opposed to those who only completed a strictly online course...
However, Busan will only acknowledge TESOL/TEFL certificates that contain at least a 60 hour offline, in-class component"
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dani81 wrote:
The following is straight from Epik's website:
"At this point, it is almost impossible for level 3 applicants to secure a position with the Epik progam...
However, starting from the Fall 2013 term, when we recommend candidates to the POE/MOEs we will give a priority to the applicants possessing a minimum 100 hour TEFL or TESOL with at least a 20 hour offline, in-class component, as opposed to those who only completed a strictly online course...
However, Busan will only acknowledge TESOL/TEFL certificates that contain at least a 60 hour offline, in-class component"

So while most of EPIK only requires 100 hour on-line courses Busan (being as competitive as it is) now wants your course to have a minimum of 60 hours off-line (onsite) classroom component within that 100-120 hours.

They are not suggesting a 60hour weekend course.

schwa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Current Application Guidelines For Public School Jobs? Reply with quote

wonkavite62 wrote:
...I remember that the school had insisted on "proof of employment" letters for jobs in the distant past. I did not have these letters, and that could have caused problems. When sending my resume, and appplication form, do I only need to include the employment I can provide proof of?

The only "proof of employment" they require would be to confirm a year or more of full-time (post-BA) teaching at some kind of registered school, on school letterhead. That would only be required if that experience was a determining factor in upping your pay level.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: