Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lawsuit over Harvard admission rejection
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madoka

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Lawsuit over Harvard admission rejection Reply with quote

A couple in Hong Kong is suing a Boston-area education consultant for the $2 million they say they paid him to get their two sons into top prep schools and, ultimately, an Ivy League university. The suit is seen by some as an example of an "arms race" in education.

Gerald and Lily Chow, citizens of Hong Kong, say they hired Mark Zimny and his company, IvyAdmit Consulting Associates in Cambridge, Mass. to help their two sons get into elite schools in the U.S.

Full story here:

http://gma.yahoo.com/parents-sue-education-consultant-2-million-sons-dont-203402825--abc-news-money.html

-------------------------------------

I've had some extremely rich clients. Sometimes they do think that they can buy their way into any school. Usually they are Asian or Middle Eastern. I once had a student's parents ask me if a $20 million donation would be enough or if they should go higher. Shocked I've had several others in the $1-5 million range.

I also had a student who told me that she met a guy who knew a guy who worked in admissions at the school she wanted to go to. If she gave this guy $50,000, he would guarantee admission to this school. If not, she didn't have to pay. She was convinced this was the way to go, so I spent a long time trying to explain to her why this was a scam.
yodanole

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yale 1968......Harvard Business School 1975

Just sayin'

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080106193140/uncyclopedia/images/d/dc/9021~George-W-Bush-Like-A-Rock-Posters.jpg
Porksta

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yodanole wrote:

Just sayin'

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080106193140/uncyclopedia/images/d/dc/9021~George-W-Bush-Like-A-Rock-Posters.jpg

I don't get it. He is dumb because he didn't get a Master's right after Bachelor's? Or is he dumb because he went to two Ivy League schools?
radcon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porksta wrote:
yodanole wrote:

Just sayin'

I don't get it. He is dumb because he didn't get a Master's right after Bachelor's? Or is he dumb because he went to two Ivy League schools?

He is dumb because he is dumb. He got into those schools because he was a legacy from a prominent family. Ivy league admissions are 40% legacies I believe.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't Harvard pretty much either let you in or not let you in? An individual applying to Harvard has to meet certain standards and if they don't then they have to come back with those standards met. This sounds to me like a rich corrupt asian family trying to get thier child in the corrupt way. I have had lots of experience with this stuff working at private Thai schools. Pretty pathetic. Let's hope they lose the lawsuit and understand that the West doesn't do things like they do in the East.
yodanole

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this case, things in the West are done exactly as they are in the East.

http://www.toptenz.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/skullandbones.jpg

young_clinton wrote:
Doesn't Harvard pretty much either let you in or not let you in? An individual applying to Harvard has to meet certain standards and if they don't then they have to come back with those standards met. This sounds to me like a rich corrupt asian family trying to get thier child in the corrupt way. I have had lots of experience with this stuff working at private Thai schools. Pretty pathetic. Let's hope they lose the lawsuit and understand that the West doesn't do things like they do in the East.
Hugo85

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:

They aren't suing Harvard, but the consultancy that took their money.
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me like a crook scamed a crook.

Why should anyone care?
MollyBloom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvard College (the undergrad college) admits either poor students (who are minorities and mostly not from the US) or wealthy students (whose parents pay for their admission). Whether or not the poor or wealthy students that are admitted deserve to study there is an important question; there are certain minority quotas the college needs to fill to stay at the top of the list of international universities.

The Harvard graduate schools are a different story. The admitted students are comprised of adults who win scholarships and/or deserve to study in a very specified area. There are, of course, wealthy students who buy themselves into the graduate schools; the law and business schools are examples.

Harvard is not what it used to be, but the brand still holds significance. During theses/dissertations, students are "strongly advised" to write about a certain subject that will benefit their project director or committee members. Declining to do so will result in a lower grade or a lot of b*llsh*t to deal with. You study under amazing minds, but can never talk to them because they are at symposiums/working in absentia/have TF's (teaching fellows) leading their classes.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slight Hijack:

A prospective MBA student came to me for help with her MBA interview. Gave me the approved list of questions that came directly from someone on the inside at a very prestigious American university. I emailed a contact inside the admissions dept. a copy of what the Korean student had. Next thing you know, I had seven different emails from different levels of admin folk at this school thanking me for exposing the culprit. Turned out to be a Korean who was highly educated and worked in admissions at this school. Fired on the spot.
highstreet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have consultants like this in Korea. These consultants charge around $12K. You can also pay someone to write your college essay for you as well. I heard they make good money.
everything-is-everything

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Died By Bear wrote:
Slight Hijack:

A prospective MBA student came to me for help with her MBA interview. Gave me the approved list of questions that came directly from someone on the inside at a very prestigious American university. I emailed a contact inside the admissions dept. a copy of what the Korean student had. Next thing you know, I had seven different emails from different levels of admin folk at this school thanking me for exposing the culprit. Turned out to be a Korean who was highly educated and worked in admissions at this school. Fired on the spot.

So you feel good about being a snitch and getting someone fired. Congrats douchebag.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

everything-is-everything wrote:
Died By Bear wrote:
Slight Hijack:

So you feel good about being a snitch and getting someone fired. Congrats douchebag.

That was your mom wasn't it?
everything-is-everything

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Died By Bear wrote:
Died By Bear wrote:
Slight Hijack:

Typical lame response from a lame poster.

Again, do you actually feel proud of yourself for being a tattle-tail? God I hated kids like you in school.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Died By Bear wrote:
Died By Bear wrote:
Slight Hijack:

Typical lame response from a lame poster.

Again, do you actually feel proud of yourself for being a tattle-tail? God I hated kids like you in school.

Except that person's actions affect other applicants, the school's rep, etc.

If i were a fellow applicant, I'd be pissed knowing someone got a leg up on me because of connection s/he had in the admissions department. If I were a student already in the program, I'd be upset that some students got in due to connections and not qualifications. Why? They undermine the value and reputation of that degree.

MollyBloom wrote:
Harvard College (the undergrad college) admits either poor students (who are minorities and mostly not from the US) or wealthy students (whose parents pay for their admission). Whether or not the poor or wealthy students that are admitted deserve to study there is an important question; there are certain minority quotas the college needs to fill to stay at the top of the list of international universities.

What the hell are you talking about? Sorry, but you sound like you're talking out of your ass, especially the part in bold. Harvard admissions doesn't pay attention to an applicant's family's income. It will pay attention to:

1. If there is a family legacy
2. If the family has donated to that university
3. The family (or student) will provide a "boost" to the university in one way or another (perhaps not financial, but reputation or image)

Yes, #2 and 3 are connected to income, but admissions does not look at an application and go, "Well the family makes $1 million/year, the applicant has decent grades and SAT scores, blah blah blah, let him in!"

And Harvard generally just admits poor international students (of those admitted students that are indeed poor)? Where you come up with that theory? I'm intrigued.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: