Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for a comic book store

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NQ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Looking for a comic book store Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I could find a comic book store in and around Seoul? I know there's What the Book but I was only able to see graphic novels available on their website. I was wondering if there was a store that sold regular monthly serials of popular comic book charactors (Batman, Superman, X-Men etc.)

Thanks
tardisrider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's not really such a thing. You sometimes find the odd issue at some of the bigger bookstores in the magazine rack at very high prices. If you want to follow some series regularly, you can mail order from a place like milehighcomics.com (they are good, but there might be better options for you--google around) Shipping costs aren't too bad if you get the slower options and don't mind being a month behind.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to get 'em mailed to me... but the shipping was inconsistent, and they would come damaged on occasion.

eventually, I just went digital.
giraffe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to a comic store in seoul. I think it was the biggest one in korea. Not sure if its still around but it was called "Comiccozzle" Worth checking there if they have any superhero comics.
NQ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

giraffe wrote:
I've been to a comic store in seoul. I think it was the biggest one in korea. Not sure if its still around but it was called "Comiccozzle" Worth checking there if they have any superhero comics.

Do you know where this store is? Any contact details?

Thanks for your help, everyone. I'm doing a superhero winter camp and I'm doing sticker reward system where the folks with the highest amount of stickers gets comics. Yeah, I didn't really research if Korea had comics or not...only assumed lol. I don't care if they're old or new comics...it would be cool to find some issues of popular series here and there
giraffe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NQ wrote:

Do you know where this store is? Any contact details?

Thanks for your help, everyone. I'm doing a superhero winter camp and I'm doing sticker reward system where the folks with the highest amount of stickers gets comics. Yeah, I didn't really research if Korea had comics or not...only assumed lol. I don't care if they're old or new comics...it would be cool to find some issues of popular series here and there

well heres there naver blog

http://blog.naver.com/cozzle
and their website
http://www.comiccozzle.com ( it looks like its all anime but I'm pretty sure they have some western stuff)

On their blog it says they are located on Line 7 subway , sang-do station, Exit 1. 1 minute walk.

phone number 02 823-5432
12ax7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about ordering from eBay if you can afford to wait? There are many who sell lots of comic books at wholesale prices, say any 10 random issues for 10$ plus shipping. You can't request specific issues, but the seller I ordered some from for my kid was more than happy to go through his inventory to look for issues with the specific characters we requested. So, you could request characters the kids know from the super-hero movies that were popular here.
NQ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, but my Korean friend called them and they only sell Korean stuff apparently Sad

Is there seriously no where else besides What The Book in Itaewon?
Jonephant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a couple of spiderman comics for 4000won each from the second hand bookstores that line cheongyicheon around dongdaemun. They were excellent condition, i used them as gifts for my nephews.
Adventurer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:
How about ordering from eBay if you can afford to wait? There are many who sell lots of comic books at wholesale prices, say any 10 random issues for 10$ plus shipping. You can't request specific issues, but the seller I ordered some from for my kid was more than happy to go through his inventory to look for issues with the specific characters we requested. So, you could request characters the kids know from the super-hero movies that were popular here.

I got some comics off of ebay some time back, and many are maybe 10-20 years old.
12ax7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adventurer wrote:
12ax7 wrote:

I got some comics off of ebay some time back, and many are maybe 10-20 years old.

Yes, that's what I got for my kid. He didn't want new comic books. He's fascinated by old pop culture (I had some influence in that).
NQ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonephant wrote:
I bought a couple of spiderman comics for 4000won each from the second hand bookstores that line cheongyicheon around dongdaemun. They were excellent condition, i used them as gifts for my nephews.

Oh nice. Yeah I already checked out What the book over the weekend and I was able to find some old comic books there, ranging from 500 won to 3000 won. I should have checked out this forum before I went, otherwise I woulda went to the ones around Dongdaemun. I managed to find some uncanny x-men, GI Joe, Marvel Presents and DC's Brave and the Bold. Should be good enough...I'll see tomorrow eee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: