Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Warning: Dahunjin Academy at Daeheung Stn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
koreakk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Warning: Dahunjin Academy at Daeheung Stn Reply with quote

Dahunjin Academy between Daeheung Stn and Gongdeok Stn, near Hongdae. Working hours 9-7pm, pay 2.0-2.3 mil.

I am blacklisting this school for the following reasons:

-Supervisor visited my home, unannounced, multiple times after work hours
-Supervisor called my cell phone multiple times after work hours and on weekends
-Overtime required almost everyday and many weekends without overtime pay
-Parents allowed to join classes at any time, unannounced
-Supervisor joins classes at any time, unannounced

Please be careful. Korea is such a wonderful place to live and work! But a good experience can be tainted by a stressful, work situation :(
timhorton

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful when applying to ANY hakwon. They are private businesses and managed as such. Go for the public schools! Sure, there will be BS but at least it will be more secure.
koreakk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: The principal, Luke, just fired the foreign teacher with no notice. This is not the first illegal thing he has done. He did not pay for health insurance or pay pension (I called both offices while I worked at Dahunjin Academy, and they had no record of me).

Just another set of reasons not to work here.

If there are any other websites or ways to blacklist this school, please post suggestions!!!
young_clinton

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a truly crap Hogwan. This is why I think it's better to have all your documents ready (with plenty of time on your apostilled CBC) and get hired while you're in Korea. So you don't get your airfare paid. You at least can talk to other teachers and find out what the academy is like.

Who knows, maybe the crap academies won't even hire people that are already in Korea, because thier is a good chance the prospective hiree is going to find out about the school.
koreakk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sungmin Kindergarten at Gongdeok Stn. Same principal, same complaints.

Always so hard to keep track of bad hagwons :/
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an unpleasant place to work...

Looking at your list:

Quote:
-Supervisor visited my home, unannounced, multiple times after work hours

This is odd and you have a right to feel frustrated.

Quote:
-Supervisor called my cell phone multiple times after work hours and on weekends

This depends on what the calls were about but it can get annoying.

Quote:
-Overtime required almost everyday and many weekends without overtime pay

That should not be acceptable to any teacher.

Quote:
-Parents allowed to join classes at any time, unannounced
-Supervisor joins classes at any time, unannounced

Those last two things are within the rights of any school, especially the last one!

It would be best for teachers to be warned ahead of time if parents want to watch the class, but parents have a right to observe the class their kid attends, within reason of course.

The supervisor has every right to observe the classes of the teachers that work for him/her. Doing so unannounced every now and then is actually a smart way to see what the teacher is really doing in class as the supervisor then gets an actual lesson observation instead of a pumped up lesson that the teacher prepared because he knew he would be observed.

So all in all, the non-paid overtime and the entering your apt after work hours without notice are dealbreakers. The other points are not.

However, ad to this the non-paid pension/health care and you should leave this school asap. Too bad this happened to you and I wish you luck.
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koreakk wrote:
Update: The principal, Luke, just fired the foreign teacher with no notice. This is not the first illegal thing he has done. He did not pay for health insurance or pay pension (I called both offices while I worked at Dahunjin Academy, and they had no record of me).

Just another set of reasons not to work here.

If there are any other websites or ways to blacklist this school, please post suggestions!!!

try this one: (warning, sunglasses required)

http://blacklist.tokyojon.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: