Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are these conditions okay?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zpeanut

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Are these conditions okay? Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

Looking for my first job ever in Korea. Worked for awhile back home but know nothing about what goes on here.

I would really like your opinion on these job conditions. It's a Hagwon. I've heard so many bad things about them I've come to think that all of them must be out to rip me off... but this place seems.. better?

What's offered:

- Money Equivalent to Round-Trip tickets
- Furnished Living Accommodation. (Two-bedroom Apartment)
- 2.0 million/month~ 2.2million/month( 2.2 million/month if insurance and pension excluded.) based on your qualification and personality.
- One month severance pay at the end of a 1-year contract.
- 10 days paid vacation plus all national holidays.
- Employer pays 50% of the medical insurance cost (covering the period of employment).
- Visa sponsored.

Job Description

Start Date: Presently recruiting for positions starting in feb, 2013. (or ASAP if a native stays in Korea, now)
Contract:12 Months (minimum), renewable.
Students: 10 or fewer students per class; 5-40 years old. (Kiddy to Adults)
Working Hours: 30 hours of teaching / week

Job Requirements:

besides the usual...
someone with a good personality, should be outgoing.
A person who loves working in a creative working place.
A person who loves to play performances and participate in any activities in the school.
A person who is willing to develop their careers for their future.
A person who does not smoke.
A person who likes to write and loves making revisions of writings in APA style.
A person who likes to sing.

------------------

What do you make of the 'creative' thing and the 'developing career' phrase, not to mention the 'loves making revisions of writings in APA..' .. and acting/singing?

Thanks Smile
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is just an advertisement and means nothing until you see an actual contract.

The devil is in the details and they should be in the contract.

John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds horrible.

First job in Korea? Location: pohang? Member since 2008? You didn't even say what the hours were. I'd never work at a hagwon, personally. Especially if I had to sing and "play performances" whatever the hell that means...
YTMND

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like these two:

A person who is willing to develop their careers for their future.
A person who likes to write and loves making revisions of writings in APA style.

If you want to develop your career, I am not sure ESL teaching is the way to go, at least not just 1 year at a hagwon Smile

Wouldn't it be the students making the revisions? Laughing
JustinC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it wasn't for the hours then I'd say it's worth a further look. 30 hours teaching could be 40 periods, each 45 minutes long, which gives you enough time between periods to change books and gulp a coffee. Unless you have extraordinary amounts of energy after 12 months you'll be burnt out, stressed out, dislike teaching, kids, Korea etc etc. You wouldn't have learnt much either because you'll have no time for preparation and will be just following the book.

Now on that point the recruiter may say "Oh it's only 30 periods of 40 minutes" but unless that's specified in the contract then take it with a large pinch of salt. Even worse it could be split shifts = goodbye social life.

I'd want much more pay to put up with those hours. You can get the same pay for less quite easily, for example public schools here contract a NET for 22 teaching periods, each 40 minutes long - 14 teaching hours.

As to 'creative' anyone can plagiarize, and who doesn't want to develop their future prospects?
zpeanut

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is just an advertisement and means nothing until you see an actual contract.

The devil is in the details and they should be in the contract.

Ah.. the contract.. hrmm.. should I ask them to email it to me before considering? do they even do that here?

Quote:
Sounds horrible.

First job in Korea? Location: pohang? Member since 2008? You didn't even say what the hours were. I'd never work at a hagwon, personally. Especially if I had to sing and "play performances" whatever the hell that means...

I subscribed to this board way back when I was still in university. I had dreams of going overseas to teach, especially in Korea and Japan.. and never did it. Got stuck in the daily grind.

Here I am 5 years later by coincidence. My partner was offered a job here and I tagged along, hence Pohang, of all places.

Yeah.. I was wondering what the performance and singing thing was too and the hours weren't listed. Why 'never' a hagwon? gosh that doesn't leave me with that many options then.

If anyone out there would like to offer me a job where I don't have to be afraid that I'm not going to get paid or made to do the job of 3 people, please PM me Smile

Bright, Bubbly, Aussie female seeking decent job.
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said you have a masters degree. Sign some shady 3.3% tax contract, call them on their illegal bs setup, get a LOR or make a visa run after a few days, then look for a much better job at a university or intl. School. Just bring a few g's in savings. You are a fool for even considering sticking it out at a hagwon for a year. Get the free plane ticket then get out of there after a few days.
zpeanut

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Stamos jr. wrote:
You said you have a masters degree. Sign some shady 3.3% tax contract, call them on their illegal bs setup, get a LOR or make a visa run after a few days, then look for a much better job at a university or intl. School. Just bring a few g's in savings. You are a fool for even considering sticking it out at a hagwon for a year. Get the free plane ticket then get out of there after a few days.

hrmm.. Did I mention I have a masters in this thread? Sounds like a very complicated approach to start off on but thank you for the suggestions. How many universities and international schools are there in Pohang? I'd love to work at POSTECH, but no offers and I'm new to the network here. Leaving Pohang isn't an option either.

btw, whats an LOR and how do I make a call on illegal conditions? just for future reference.

Quote:
I'd want much more pay to put up with those hours. You can get the same pay for less quite easily, for example public schools here contract a NET for 22 teaching periods, each 40 minutes long - 14 teaching hours.

Thank you, very helpful information. I never thought about hours being calculated like that.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Stamos jr. wrote:
Especially if I had to sing and "play performances" whatever the hell that means...

That means you have to sing along with the songs the kindergarten kids learn and also teach them the unique dance for each song.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zpeanut wrote:
btw, whats an LOR and how do I make a call on illegal conditions? just for future reference.

LOR means Letter of Release. That's a letter from the current employer granting you their permission to be released from the current contract so you can transfer to another employer without having to get a new CBC, etc. for the new job.

The other poster meant inform the current employer (the one who'd be your current employer if you were to take the shady 3.3% contract) that you are aware of his illegal stunts and that you'd really hate to mention said stunts to the various government entities that should be concerned with said stunts but you can easily be persuaded not to go to those entities if the employer simply signs a letter of release.
PRagic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol...loves making revisions inAPA style..

Translate...loves doing unlimited essay proofing for free...for which the crapwon will undoubtably being charging students an extra fee..

No way. Never. Pass!
YTMND

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 Copy Editors Killed In Ongoing AP Style, Chicago Manual Gang Violence

Laughing Laughing

"NEW YORK�Law enforcement officials confirmed Friday that four more copy editors were killed this week amid ongoing violence between two rival gangs divided by their loyalties to the The Associated Press Stylebook and The Chicago Manual Of Style. �At this time we have reason to believe the killings were gang-related and carried out by adherents of both the AP and Chicago styles, part of a vicious, bloody feud to establish control over the grammar and usage guidelines governing American English,� said FBI spokesman Paul Holstein, showing reporters graffiti tags in which the word �anti-social� had been corrected to read �antisocial.� �The deadly territory dispute between these two organizations, as well as the notorious MLA Handbook gang, has claimed the lives of more than 63 publishing professionals this year alone.� Officials also stated that an innocent 35-year-old passerby who found himself caught up in a long-winded dispute over use of the serial, or Oxford, comma had died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound."

http://www.theonion.com/articles/4-copy-editors-killed-in-ongoing-ap-style-chicago,30806/
tremault

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe I'm naive but that ad looks very attractive.
they want a person who is creative and fun loving.
I majored in animation, I love singing and I kinda like dancing.
I don't see it as unusual to put in the job advert that they want someone who can do these kinds of things.
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pay is kind of low and the employer is stating right from the start that they're willing to ignore the law if it's to their benefit. Pass.
12ax7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troglodyte wrote:
The pay is kind of low and the employer is stating right from the start that they're willing to ignore the law if it's to their benefit. Pass.

Exactly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: