Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FLHS Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirya

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: FLHS Questions Reply with quote

Hi, I am graduating in May with a masters of arts in teaching for secondary mathematics. I am currently looking for international school positions in Korea but I lack the two years of western teaching. I was thinking about looking for positions at some FLHS but I am unable to locate where they post job openings(I checked daves, hiexpat, wnp, craigs). Most of the FLHS websites that I have browsed are in Korean with the English section just an introduction. Should I send my CV and cover letter directly to the principal and hope one will have a position open? Are there any recruiters who deal with FLHS or IS? Thanks^^

(Dave's search function is a little whack and I didn't find anything conclusive using google site search)
YTMND

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you define your acronyms? Laughing

What are FLHS and IS? I have heard of TESOL, IELTS, SAT, TOEIC, CELTA, TOEFL, and few others.
braindrops

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLHS = foreign language high school
IS = international school
YTMND

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if they are not hiring teachers for regular public schools (high school, middle yet?), either it is really competitive (and hiring within Korea) or just not available.

Is there a specific reason why you only want to teach at FLHS or IS?
fustiancorduroy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foreign language high schools usually post their job ads here on Dave's. Daewon posted their ads for their international middle school in late October. I haven't seen an ad lately for the FLHS.

Anyang Foreign Language High School posted an ad about two weeks ago:
http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/korea/index.cgi?read=55469

I interviewed with them a few years ago. They offered me a job, but I turned them down in favor of my current position. The pay there isn't super high, but the director is a Westerner, the students are nice, and the work environment seems pleasant. I think it could be a decent job.

Centennial Christian School also recently posted an ad: http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/korea/index.cgi?read=55435

As far as I know, it is a decent school, but they prefer teachers who are Christian, as you might guess from the name.

Most FLHSs hire Koreans to teach math. I don't know any Westerners who do teach math, but there are certainly Westerners teaching economics and the like.

I suppose you could try contacting these schools directly, but if they don't post an ad, then they probably don't have any openings for the upcoming school year. But it couldn't hurt, right?
FMPJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLHS are in trouble and are losing students, esp. in their study-abroad programs, due to recent legislation affecting their ability to produce their own admissions standards. There are still positions, but few. I worked at one for many years, fwiw.

On preview: they don't use foreign teachers for math. Maybe at some of the foreign language middle schools, though.
kirya

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah really? Well thanks for all the information~ I guess I will try to expand my search to other countries.

Just wondering, in Asia do I contact the principal like in the U.S. or should I try to find some sort of human resource person?
YTMND

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirya wrote:
Ah really? Well thanks for all the information~ I guess I will try to expand my search to other countries.

Just wondering, in Asia do I contact the principal like in the U.S. or should I try to find some sort of human resource person?

Many use recruiters who work for the schools. You don't need to pay them anything. Google and you will soon see them online.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: