Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Skiing in Korea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fezmond

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Skiing in Korea Reply with quote

I'm off skiing for the first time in 10 years next weekend (Bearstown?).

We've paid for equipment hire but I'm not sure if that includes glasses/goggles - do ski places hire them out? My friend thinks not.

Are the slopes going to be crazy busy? Unfortunately we've only got about 4 hours on the slopes from 1 - 4.45. I'm wondering if after I spend some time getting back into the swing of things, I should head up to the more challenging runs.

Any advice on Bearstown or skiing in general in Korea would be appreciated.
gforce645

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following paragraph is from a conversation I had on another site. The topic was about inconsiderate people walking and driving. Then I asked about any other situations with similar difficulty. I specifically asked about skiing in Korea and this was someone's reply:

Better believe I�ve been skiing in Korea. Did so often. Gave up on the place. Most importantly, never ever go on a weekend or holiday. What you suspect is far far worse� redoubled. Thousands standing around in the middle of the slope: posing, texting, talking on the phone, spitting, flirting with oppa, eating kimbab, applying makeup, taking pictures, brawling, yada yada. Carnage. As you descend the slope prepare to be rear ended � probably best to wear a neck brace before you get whiplash. When you�re queued for the lift expect to be pushed and shoved. It makes the lift go faster, me thinks they thinks. The horde behind you is determined to stand on your skis, so your once attractive boards are now marred and gouged.

Do yourself a favor and ski where civility and competence reign: Japan.
darkjedidave

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gforce645 wrote:

Do yourself a favor and ski where civility and competence reign: Japan.

I completely agree. I've been twice, and will never go here again.
First time I saw everyone had top of the line boards and gear, thinking they must be good (I was new to Korea at the time) I was on a board 15cm too short and boots 1 1/2 sizes too small, and feel like I'm on an obstacle course.

Spending 10 years growing up and boarding in Washington state, I guess I'm spoiled by actual snow and civil users. But I have to say, Japan has the best champagne powder I've ever seen, no wonder it's considered one of the best places in the world to ride.
furtakk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day time skiing is horrible, but bearable if you stick to the difficult runs. The easier runs are packed, but the intermediate runs are usually fine. That said, you still have to be much more careful than you would anywhere else.

Anyway, early morning or night skiing is the best. I went to Vivaldi over New Years for a few days. I went from about noon to 6ish the first day and it was complete insanity. Went night skiing for the remainder of the holiday and the difference was amazing. Almost everyone heads home after dinner.
12ax7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

furtakk wrote:
Day time skiing is horrible, but bearable if you stick to the difficult runs. The easier runs are packed, but the intermediate runs are usually fine. That said, you still have to be much more careful than you would anywhere else.

Anyway, early morning or night skiing is the best. I went to Vivaldi over New Years for a few days. I went from about noon to 6ish the first day and it was complete insanity. Went night skiing for the remainder of the holiday and the difference was amazing. Almost everyone heads home after dinner.

I hit the slopes at least once a week.

I don't mind the beginners when they stick to beginner slopes. The ones I find infinitely annoying are those who go on the expert slopes, braking or doing the snowplow all the way down. Not only are they a hazard, they've essentially ruined the snow on those slopes by noon.

The place we go to clears out at about 4:30. Other good skiers and boarders start showing up about an hour later, shortly before the expert slopes are open again after they've been groomed for the night.

Nighttime is definitely the time to go if you're an advanced/expert skier or snowboarder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: