Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Non-white teachers in Korea?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krazijaanu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone!
I am also a non- Caucasian person trying to teach in Korea I didn't have any problems until the officials found out that I was Diabetic and my recruiter told me that I am a diabetic! I am so frustrated because I put in about one year's worth of hard work researching, preparing and getting ready for this opportunity and now I can't do it! does anyone have any help or advice please? my email address is [email protected]
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I read on here before that people can still work here with Diabetes. Try another recruiter or boss. People come over here and take their shots I think. Try to take the blood test when your sugar is at the right levels.
drcrazy

Location: Pusan. Yes, that's right. Pusan NOT Busan. I ain't never been to no place called Busan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:
narsty dog wrote:
It s interesting to note kleenex that your insightful post has had zero repiles. ( sorry - one as i write from t. beer + me ) . Why would this be ?????? I put it down the recent phenomena on this board of 'everything in the garden is rosy'.
20 blacks !!!!!!! Whooa , so many.
it s like poeple dont want to hear bad news , or when the war was on , they prefer the sanitised views of FOX, or CNN rather thna watch al jazeera. they know children are being literally slaughtered, orphaned or having their limbs bombed off, but they dont want to see it.
same with entrenched attitutes to certain racial groups. It s there but best not to touch on it , eh???

You see this is where I start to lose it . You assume that Zimbabwean politics is interesting to Koreans . I think the same as you - I m interested in current affairs so i think others will be . BUT, in Korea you cant even get past the "Zimbabweans are black" stage , so what hope is there of looking at the sitaution there in terms of critical understanding , historically or its relevance for debates on post colonial states, etc. ?????? It s a non starter.

Seems to me like koreans want the "English" ( language) but not the texts it is actually used in. keep banging your head against the brick wall. Eventually the pain 'll make you stop.

Koreans view blacks as inferior people. It s due to their obsession with status and hierarchy. White racism is founded on similar views. We colonised black countries and then invited them to live with us and be at the bottom of the pile. Many Koreans see blacks as being lazy because they dont own corner shops and try and imitate the white man.
Basically koreans are wanna be followers of the white people with capitalist dreams of world domination and no respect for the environment ( US kyoto protocol rejection etc. ) as long as they keep up their 'comfortable' lifestlye. These are the same people who laugh at primitive folks in the 3rd world who have no greed or need for oil , live simply and frugally , and have no need to fight wars for oil , or get money to buy things they dont really need.

WOW! I didn't know there were still people like you around. You must be a popular guest at cocktail parties. I guess the room gets cleared out pretty quickly. (Al Jazeera is completely unbiased in Middle Eastern Politics, of course.)

Maybe not since his post is almost 9 years old. Shocked
drcrazy

Location: Pusan. Yes, that's right. Pusan NOT Busan. I ain't never been to no place called Busan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:
narsty dog wrote:
It s interesting to note kleenex that your insightful post has had zero repiles. ( sorry - one as i write from t. beer + me ) . Why would this be ?????? I put it down the recent phenomena on this board of 'everything in the garden is rosy'.
it s like poeple dont want to hear bad news , or when the war was on , they prefer the sanitised views of FOX, or CNN rather thna watch al jazeera. they know children are being literally slaughtered, orphaned or having their limbs bombed off, but they dont want to see it.
same with entrenched attitutes to certain racial groups. It s there but best not to touch on it , eh???

You see this is where I start to lose it . You assume that Zimbabwean politics is interesting to Koreans . I think the same as you - I m interested in current affairs so i think others will be . BUT, in Korea you cant even get past the "Zimbabweans are black" stage , so what hope is there of looking at the sitaution there in terms of critical understanding , historically or its relevance for debates on post colonial states, etc. ?????? It s a non starter.

Seems to me like koreans want the "English" ( language) but not the texts it is actually used in. keep banging your head against the brick wall. Eventually the pain 'll make you stop.

Koreans view blacks as inferior people. It s due to their obsession with status and hierarchy. White racism is founded on similar views. We colonised black countries and then invited them to live with us and be at the bottom of the pile. Many Koreans see blacks as being lazy because they dont own corner shops and try and imitate the white man.
Basically koreans are wanna be followers of the white people with capitalist dreams of world domination and no respect for the environment ( US kyoto protocol rejection etc. ) as long as they keep up their 'comfortable' lifestlye. These are the same people who laugh at primitive folks in the 3rd world who have no greed or need for oil , live simply and frugally , and have no need to fight wars for oil , or get money to buy things they dont really need.

WOW! I didn't know there were still people like you around. You must be a popular guest at cocktail parties. I guess the room gets cleared out pretty quickly. (Al Jazeera is completely unbiased in Middle Eastern Politics, of course.)

Maybe not since his post is almost 9 years old. Shocked
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

narsty dog wrote:

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If you want something go out and work for it. If you don't, sit on your a$$ and be lazy. I'm saying this as a white guy who has met many an underachieving white lazy guys who have amounted to nothing because they wouldn't work towards a goal. There are hard workers and lazy people in every race. If one persons ancestors were colonized and my own background had some rough family life, it is me and me alone who chooses to work for myself. The past has nothing to do with it. (But for the record, I think that past is shameful.)

I've met successful business people of color and the rules of economics and hard work don't discriminate. Don't think us Canadians are as polarized on this topic as you Americans are.

Anyways, if you (op) want to come over, come over. Don't worry about the prejudice. Many blacks and others work here. Some older Koreans might be ignorant, but most younger Koreans will be fine. For every jerk racist employer, you'll find 3 or 4 more who aren't. Just conduct yourself professionally and you'll do just fine.
Dnogitsune

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:37 am    Post subject: Black people do get hired Reply with quote

HA! I got hired at my first job because I was black. I keep getting hired because I do my job well.

For the ones that say Koreans don't like black people are full of it. Granted there are some but it does not cover all of them. That is in every country though. Or they are the Caucasian people who get pissy or down right have a mental breakdown because they do not get preferential treatment automatically because of their whiteness. I know that is not all but I have met many teachers who are like that. They wonder why I and my other friend (also Black) get free stuff and treated kindly and they don;t get anything and treated like hooker or downright ignored.

There are many decent people here. Some may treat you not so nice in the beginning but may come around later on once they see you do not fit the stupid media stereotypes.
i_teach_esl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im coming up on my 6 year koreanniversary. my advice is still the same:

Quote:
to my melanin~ated folks: dont let anyone tell you what you can do, where you can go, what your experience will be like. you alone will know how you'll find it here when you get here.
find black folks in south korea on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=25747883752
rphares

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krazijaanu wrote:
Hi Everyone!
I am also a non- Caucasian person trying to teach in Korea I didn't have any problems until the officials found out that I was Diabetic and my recruiter told me that I am a diabetic! I am so frustrated because I put in about one year's worth of hard work researching, preparing and getting ready for this opportunity and now I can't do it! does anyone have any help or advice please? my email address is [email protected]

I know that this is an old post, but yeah, I am having a similar problem with epilepsy. I tried emailing a lot of different recruiters, and it turns out only the very first one gave me an automatic no. The others all wanted to continue working with me and even called immigration for me.

However, I am also a non-white applicant. My name is a little strange -- people sometimes speculate whether I am white or black based on both my first and last name. Also, I look quite asian (although almost daily I get asked if I am mixed Japanese or Korean and white). Interviewers have flat out told me that they are confused. I find it a little offensive, but at the same time, stuff like this happens to me in America and Canada all the time, so I'm not surprised that a country like Korea would be this way.
vim23

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like all the non-white people teaching english are black lol. I'm indian origin from Australia, wonder how I'll do, gonna be applying for jobs soon. I have some piercings too and long hair in a ponytail ahha hate they hear that. Im assuming i will probably find it a little difficult to get a job, but will post back here if I do ahha.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: