Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gym workout regimes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 49, 50, 51  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silkhighway

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermentation wrote:

Came across this interesting article. People who have been training for awhile may already know the things the writer's talking about but its worth a look.

http://archive.mensjournal.com/everything-you-know-about-fitness-is-a-lie

I don't want to put down anyone's work-out routine no matter how esoteric it may seem to me, and if works for them and is in align with their goals, good on them. If they've been doing it for decades and still look forward to doing it again, that's proof enough they're doing something right.

But my God, we're a culture that loves to over-complicate things aren't we? And in no matters more than in dieting and fitness.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fer, so you're aiming for a 290lb bench - that's mighty impressive - nearly 3 plates a side. How's it going? Anywhere close right now?

Silk, any particular runs you're planning this year? They hold a number of them in Seoul, right?

HapKi wrote:

Quick question- ordered SuperPump Max last friday, and had super quick delivery arriving yesterday (maybe earlier if without New Years holiday). Seemed to give me a kick with just one scoop full, and I'll definetly use it all. But it was only HALF FULL! I understand settling during shipping and all that, but it's not potato chips, its powder. Didn't weigh it, so it might be normal. Just saying. Can anyone reassure me on this?

Yeah, that first time is a bit of a shocker. lol

The servings should be right, though. I find that 20+ minutes before training works out to be good timing for it.
fermentation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silkhighway wrote:

As for how weight lifting is affecting my running right now, I can just say how I've been feeling. My endurance has suffered lately, a little bit, however it's not enough that I'm concerned about it January. On the other hand, I've noticed a HUGE difference in the power in my stride. That's a good thing.

Its good that you notice some difference. My lifting doesn't seem to be affecting my daily life or performance in other areas much. The only difference I can tell is that my back pain and posture problems have gotten much better since I started deadlifting. That's about it other than that I look more ripped. Can't tell if the strength has carried over anywhere else. Other guys I know swear they feel more athletic and stronger though.

silkhighway wrote:

I don't want to put down anyone's work-out routine no matter how esoteric it may seem to me, and if works for them and is in align with their goals, good on them. If they've been doing it for decades and still look forward to doing it again, that's proof enough they're doing something right.

But my God, we're a culture that loves to over-complicate things aren't we? And in no matters more than in dieting and fitness.

I like to put down other people's programs if its obvious they have no real goal or plan. I see way too many people at the gym with no idea of what they're doing. How many people do you see doing dozens of half-assed dumbbell curls because that's the one exercise they saw somewhere once. Or do a million crunches because they think it's going to give them six pack abs. I was one of these people until I started to actually learn some stuff. And because they have no goal or knowledge, its usually these people who quit working out after awhile only to start over again when they start to gain weight.

Captain Corea wrote:
Fer, so you're aiming for a 290lb bench - that's mighty impressive - nearly 3 plates a side. How's it going? Anywhere close right now?

I "only" have about 100 more pounds to go. Yeah I'm a long ways off. I found that I can increase my 1 rep max by 5kgs every other session so it's doable.
silkhighway

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:

Silk, any particular runs you're planning this year? They hold a number of them in Seoul, right?

Definitely not in Seoul..in Canada. None in particular in mind yet, I might start looking.

fermentation wrote:

I like to put down other people's programs if its obvious they have no real goal or plan. I see way too many people at the gym with no idea of what they're doing. How many people do you see doing dozens of half-assed dumbbell curls because that's the one exercise they saw somewhere once. Or do a million crunches because they think it's going to give them six pack abs. I was one of these people until I started to actually learn some stuff. And because they have no goal or knowledge, its usually these people who quit working out after awhile only to start over again when they start to gain weight.

I know what you're saying. Goal making is the hardest part of going to the gym, especially for people who have never been athletic. However I think the real culprit is not that, it's lack of proper motivation. I'll see the gym flooded in the next few weeks with people trying to lose 10lbs from the Christmas Holidays. It's payback.

I don't feel that way, I'm happy when I'm going to the gym or when I finish a good workotu, and I'm sure just about everybody on this thread is.
Jyang486

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short term goal for 2013 is to get a six pack. No short term strength goals anymore haha.

Long term goal for 2013 is to maintain said six pack while being able to bench 1.5x my body weight, and squat 2x my body weight.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those sound like very reasonable goals, man. Be sure to take before and after pics - you'll be proud of the changes.

Here my Chest Day workout - nothing too out of the norm, I'm sure. Just focusing on tension in different planes of motion.
fermentation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silkhighway wrote:

I know what you're saying. Goal making is the hardest part of going to the gym, especially for people who have never been athletic. However I think the real culprit is not that, it's lack of proper motivation. I'll see the gym flooded in the next few weeks with people trying to lose 10lbs from the Christmas Holidays. It's payback.

I think getting motivated becomes a problem for a lot of people because they don't have a goal. I think having an actual objective makes it easier to get your ass to the gym rather than vaguely aiming to get "jacked."

Quote:
Short term goal for 2013 is to get a six pack. No short term strength goals anymore haha.

Maybe it's just my genetics and I'm not meaning to brag, but getting a sixpack has been surprisingly easy for me. Which is weird because it's been eluding me for years but ever since I've started taking my training more seriously (lifting heavy), I've been looking pretty damn jacked without really trying to get jacked. But I also do tons of cardio and in general I workout a lot. So I guess what I'm saying is, have you looked into doing more cardio?
Jyang486

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Maybe it's just my genetics and I'm not meaning to brag, but getting a sixpack has been surprisingly easy for me. Which is weird because it's been eluding me for years but ever since I've started taking my training more seriously (lifting heavy), I've been looking pretty damn jacked without really trying to get jacked. But I also do tons of cardio and in general I workout a lot. So I guess what I'm saying is, have you looked into doing more cardio?[/quote]

Yeah, before I did a ton of lifting but idiotically scoffed at cardio. Then I read Lyle McDonald's Stubborn Fat Solution and it opened my eyes to fasted cardio, and I've been doing fasted cardio ever since. Fat has been seemingly been melting off. I also started taking my diet seriously, and have started a 16/8 intermittent fast, and I'm sure I'll hit my short term goal before the month is out.
fermentation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like every other lift, I think higher intensity ab work for me also made a difference. Instead of just sit ups I also do dragonflags and hanging raises and I've noticed more definition in my upper abdomen since I've started doing those.

I don't know the science behind fasted cardio but Elliot Hulse seems to swear by doing cardio on an empty stomach as well. I still hate running though.
12ax7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermentation wrote:
Just like every other lift, I think higher intensity ab work for me also made a difference. Instead of just sit ups I also do dragonflags and hanging raises and I've noticed more definition in my upper abdomen since I've started doing those.

I don't know the science behind fasted cardio but Elliot Hulse seems to swear by doing cardio on an empty stomach as well. I still hate running though.

It's pretty simple. Digestion uses energy. If you aren't digesting anything, you've got more energy to spare for your workout. Think about how you feel tired after a large meal.
12ax7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:

Yeah, just keep at doing it. When I was younger, I used to bench over twice my body weight. Once you work up to a certain weight, it's not all that difficult to push yourself to lift heavier. What worked for me was not to follow a schedule but to do what felt right. If I thought I could pile more weight on the bench press that day, then that's what I did.

In any case, I'm done with my research, my sore throat is almost gone and my backache from when I took a nasty spill when some beginner rammed into me while I was snowboarding a couple of weeks ago is gone. No more excuses not to go to the gym. I'll be starting again tomorrow.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so I'm clear - fasted cardio = doing cardio on a (relatively) empty stomach? For most people, that'd be before breakfast or late at night.

Bodybuilders use this all the time for dieting down for a show. If you get you BPM between 130-150, and you do it for 45-70 mins, you're bound to be tackling those fat reserves.
12ax7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Just so I'm clear - fasted cardio = doing cardio on a (relatively) empty stomach? For most people, that'd be before breakfast or late at night.

Yes, but I'm not sure working out before breakfast accomplishes anything other than further dehydrating you. Sure, your glycogen levels will be lower. But, it takes 48 hours of fasting before your muscular and hepatic glycogen reserves have been depleted and your body starts burning fat only. In other words, until one of these two energy reserves is depleted, both pathways will run in tandem.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So - where's the energy coming from that is fuelling the cardio?

Gotta say, that flies in the face of my experiences. I've seen this method used many times to dial guys in for shows.
12ax7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
So - where's the energy coming from that is fuelling the cardio?

Gotta say, that flies in the face of my experiences. I've seen this method used many times to dial guys in for shows.

I was basing my opinion on how it had been rationalized to me and what I remember from my undergraduate studies many, many years ago. I've heard many times that it's because the glycogen reserves are depleted and so the body switches to a different metabolic pathway because of it, but that's not quite right.

I looked it up a few minutes ago and some new research suggests it works. It's apparently because adrenaline levels are high and insulin levels are low after sleep, a ratio which allows for more fat to be oxidized during a workout.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 21 of 51

Jump to: