Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working in Korean Company Salary Expectations? Help please.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hamburgs_MecGee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Working in Korean Company Salary Expectations? Help please. Reply with quote

I have an interview for a major department store and the hours are listed as 9 am to 6 pm, with 8 hours of teaching the employees. I will also be responsible for interview all the employees of the department store.

I have an f6 and a sparkling resume, and although there is no word of the salary in the advertisement, I am not going to teach for less that 5.0 million.

Am I expecting too much pay? It's one of the big department stores and my office will be in Gangnam. I would actually be taking a pay cut when I add up all my part-time work I've been doing for the last 4 years.

Basically I would like to know what people have been paid for similar companies, and also any stories (good and bad) about working there.

Cheers.
alongway

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will rarely get 5.0 at a single teaching job like that. Basically never. The way most F visas make their money teaching is putting together several part time jobs which pay higher on average. You might get a little more teaching at a company, but not that much more, not when they could turn around and bring in an E2 for 2.2-2.5
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bud of mine does this exact same job - same industry. I don't recall his wage exactly, but I seem to remember it being around 3-4.

Good luck, man.
Hamburgs_MecGee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing part-time work for years and have made between 5.5 and 7.0 doing so for a long time.

Kinda tired and want a change. I'm gonna just walk in there and ask for 5.0 and walk away otherwise. I actually think 5.0 is underpaid given 7-8 classes a day and interviewing responsibilities. Maybe they'll have some nice perks though.

The more I think about it there more annoying I think this job might be:

1) Maybe having to wait for the boss until leaving.
2) Killing time surfing the net when no classes.
3) Have to cooperate with an office full of koreans everyday.

Looking for horror stories and good stories relating to that stuff too.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: