Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Small acts of kindness for Korea's neglected dogs.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scorpion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Small acts of kindness for Korea's neglected dogs. Reply with quote

I am often saddened to see Korea's poor dogs tied up on a two foot leash for their entire existence. I just don't understand how anyone with a conscience can think that is acceptable. Why have a dog - a living, feeling creature with emotional, social and physical needs - then tie it up outside for its entire existence. I just don't get it. There is a dog tied up outside my villa. I buy it a can of tuna now and then, and give it some leftover meat from my fridge / dinner etc.. Recently I have been taking my leftovers from the local 'chicken hof' - and he loves it. Even if it's just the bones with a bit of meat on it he gobbles them down and looks for more. He's very grateful and gets excited whenever he hears me approaching. And all he's expecting is crunchy chicken bones.

If you are also moved by the conditions of the neglected dogs in your neighborhood please try to remember 'small kindnesses'. It's a very small thing to us, but it's greatly appreciated by the poor dogs. In this cold weather they can't even move about to stay warm, and more often than not they are fed dry pebbles for food. If you're at a restaurant tonight (or any night) and you've some leftovers, think of the poor dog tied up on your route home. Why have the leftovers thrown into the trash when there are hungry, cold neglected dogs here everywhere one looks.

Also, if you're at the supermarket and you've an extra 2000 won to spare grab some cheap packaged meat product or a can of tuna and give the poor fella a treat. It costs us nothing, but it makes a big difference to them.

Try it. It'll make you feel great about yourself.

Cheers.
Lucas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you're doing is fattening up fido before the knives come out and he ends up in the pot:!:

I bet the owner loves you - at a minimum I�d insist on the share of the meat after the slaughter!

I know a Korean who is fattening his dog up for slaughter � I asked him how he plans to kill it.

He�s going to electrocute it! Embarassed

View these animals at livestock and not pets and then you'll start to be able to walk by with a less heavy heart!

and then you could give the tuna to a hungry homeless person too! [/quote]
oppa637

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be pissed if I was the owner. You don't give chicken bones to a dog. They break easy and can get stuck in their throat and rip them. Don't be giving dogs anything if you don't know how to treat them right either.
Dodge7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korean dogs are ugly. I don't care about them. Now, if they were some cute adorable full bred American Labs I might give two shi#@.
ewlandon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you dont give a dog soft bones. Give the dog rib bones or just dont mess with other peoples property.
eventually

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

other people have mentioned this but i just want to third what they are saying - chicken bones can choke a dog...
Steelrails

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the lesson is that there things someone does that makes them feel better involving another person or creature and there are things that someone does involving another person or creature that actually improves that other creature's condition.

Basically it's like buying a starving 3rd world child some McDonald's- Their system is probably not used to the food, they'll get diarrhea and end up in even worse physical shape.

But hey, at least you've done something and can feel better about yourself!
rainman3277

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Small acts of kindness for Korea's neglected dogs. Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:

Also, if you're at the supermarket and you've an extra 2000 won to spare grab some cheap packaged meat product or a can of tuna and give the poor fella a treat. It costs us nothing, but it makes a big difference to them..

1) it doesn't cost us nothing, it costs us w2000, you said it yourself. save that for 2 days and I can get a beer!
2) if i have a can of dog can i give it to the tuna?
3) define 'big difference'. Has the dog told you he was going to throw in the towel until you came along?

small acts of kindness or almost always selfishly motivated. that's why they are small. just enough to relieve your guilt.

hitting the nail on the head, Tim Minchin: "F**k the poor":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcdtVD8X1-A
Scorpion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm astonished and saddened by the responses to my OP. So far this thread has had 190 hits. Hopefully some readers are assisting Korea's poor abused dogs. I despair to think that the people posting so far are representative of the foreigner community here on Daves.

Disgusted I am.
dairyairy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not donate time or money to an animal shelter? You could take part in one of their fundraisers.

Nabiya Winter Hoodies
https://www.facebook.com/events/357022747727412/

Quote:
Animal Rescue Korea (ARK) is an online network devoted to helping animals in South Korea. For more information, please v...isit: http://www.AnimalRescueKorea.org/

If you would like to join a shelter trip to adopt or foster a dog or cat and/or to volunteer to take care of the animals, contact one of the following shelter volunteers:

Sofia (Daejeon, Asan, Anseong): [email protected]

Laura-Claire (Seoul, Asan): [email protected]

Nicole (Daegu): [email protected]
fosterman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giving chicken bones to a dog is fine!
as long as the dog is not a toy poodle or something.
but a dog tied up outside is probably a larger dog.

these dogs will chew threw those bones like butter!
rea
if the dog is small., you should give the rip cage bones as they are soft.
leg bones can get stuck if the dog doesn't break them properly

but if you chop up the bones , its fine.

dogs are carnivores by nature, they know how to eat bones!
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fosterman wrote:
giving chicken bones to a dog is fine!
as long as the dog is not a toy poodle or something.
but a dog tied up outside is probably a larger dog.

these dogs will chew threw those bones like butter!
rea
if the dog is small., you should give the rip cage bones as they are soft.
leg bones can get stuck if the dog doesn't break them properly

but if you chop up the bones , its fine.

dogs are carnivores by nature, they know how to eat bones!

The FDA disagrees with you.

http://www.ehow.com/about_6577085_chicken-bones-bad-dogs_.html

Quote:
Across the board, veterinarians agree that feeding a dog cooked bones can threaten his health. Cooked bones pose a particular threat because the bone hardens, causing the bone to splinter or shatter easily. When a dog chews on a chicken bone, he may break or splinter the bone. These razor sharp bone pieces when ingested can puncture the insides. In 2010, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued a reminder that dog owners should toss all bones before giving them to pets, says an AP article.

It is COOKED chicken bones that are the danger here. In the wild there aren't that many cooked chicken bones.

OP please stop giving that poor dog chicken bones. Tuna and other meat products may be fine...but no processed lunch meats...if the dog is not used to them it can mess severely with his digestive system.
Smithington

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewlandon wrote:
you dont give a dog soft bones. Give the dog rib bones or just dont mess with other peoples property.

This is the problem with Korea. A dog is not a person's "property" in the same sense that a sofa is. You can't just tie it up and leave it. We have a moral obligation to treat it well. The original poster should be commended for her / his efforts. Maybe giving bones isn't the best thing, but one can help out with other food stuffs. The spirit of the post is decent. To say 'bah, forget the Korean dogs' or 'don't mess with other people's property' is messed up. Back home people are educated to respect animals' rights. We also have the Humane Society to which we can report abusive and neglectful owners. Not so in Korea. It is far, far behind in this regard.

If you don't want to give dogs bones then take the remaining meat off and give them that. It's not rocket science.
oppa637

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point is someone ranting about mistreatment of something only to be doing the same thing. If you want to help, learn the proper way and make sure it is helpful and not just inflating your ego.
Scorpion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oppa637 wrote:
My point is someone ranting about mistreatment of something only to be doing the same thing. If you want to help, learn the proper way and make sure it is helpful and not just inflating your ego.

This is emphatically not about me. This is about helping the dogs. Maybe I shouldn't give bones to the dog. I have never owned a dog so I don't object to being corrected. Although I have always been very (very) careful about which bones I give the dogs, I will stop doing this altogether. But as I said, I also give it other food and I am advocating that readers spare 2000 won here and there to buy something for the dogs. This thread is simply about doing right by neglected animals. I only hope that for every jerk that posts cynically or negatively on this thread there's another who'll toss a bit of meat to a local dog once in a while, or stop and show it some affection. All I'm advocating is random acts of kindness towards those who can't help themselves. In this case Korea's dogs.

Is this really so controversial? Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: