Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Small acts of kindness for Korea's neglected dogs.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mix1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rainman3277 wrote:

small acts of kindness or almost always selfishly motivated. that's why they are small. just enough to relieve your guilt.

True, but better than NO acts of kindness. Usually, small acts are all most are capable of without derailing their own lives. You can't change everything but you do what you can or what you feel comfortable with. It's still a win-win for both involved usually.

Sure there is some personal guilt involved in all charity, but that doesn't automatically discount it. I don't donate or help much either, but I'm not going to deride others for trying. (Unless they are being overly sanctimonious or judgmental about it... which Scorpion wasn't.)

@Scorpion: When it comes to helping animals, you're always going to have a few making fun of it; it makes them feel manly. They don't share your feelings and it's easy to deride others when they show any kind of sensitivity. It's just what we as people tend to do.

I wouldn't say it's representative, it's just the vocal few. Many people see a dog chained up like that and probably agree that's a bit messed up.

Some also may resent you for trying to do something positive, so they're lashing out, partly from their own guilt or insecurity, and partly because they don't want anyone feeling superior to them.

I'm not with you on the chicken bones thing, and also it's someone's property, but I agree small acts of kindness can make a difference.

Especially with a dog that is chained up for life and 99% of it's experiences with humans are negative. That one positive interaction becomes significant, even if the dog is destined for the soup bowl.
oppa637

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would you feel if said dog died? I understand you meant well but you should really check to make sure you are doing more good than harm.
sublunari

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caring for these poor animals by buying meat that has been harvested from other poor animals is kind of ridiculous. If you feel bad about the stray cats, the chained-up dogs, the boshintang, and you're still eating meat, you are a hypocrite. Donate your time or money to animal shelters and/or convert to vegetarianism if you really care about the horrific way animals are treated here in Korea and around the world. Anything less is slacktivism.
tiger fancini

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
All I'm advocating is random acts of kindness towards those who can't help themselves. In this case Korea's dogs.

Is this really so controversial? Shocked

What about the chickens and the tuna fish that you are feeding to the dogs? Who's being kind to them? Are you absolutely sure that they were treated kindly, before they were killed and hand-fed to dogs by you?
Steelrails

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think birds in cages is messed up. I hate pet birds beyond the stink they make and their noise, I think its really sad to see a bird in a cage that isn't livestock. Same with dogs.

But I don't go messing with other people's caged birds. I don't get sanctimonious about some culture involving caged birds or short-leashed dogs.

The problem with these situations is that short-term attempts to make things better usually creates a new problem or exacerbates an existing one.

Feed stray cats? Stray cat population grows. Feed leashed dog? Leashed dog gets sick on what you feed it. Longer leashes? Dog bites some kid or his leash is long enough to go into the street where car drives and he gets a smushed foot. Free caged birds? Caged bird starts some sort of invasive species problem or carries some disease.

It sucks, because at the end of the day the OP has a point- a 2 foot leash is no way to live.
rabidcake

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, what is not your responsibility should not concern you. Will you start feeding and taking care of children that are not yours?

While you mean well, just leave your dogs and your 2000 won alone. Honestly these dogs, are well, dogs, maybe it's sometimes a bit harsh compared to Western standards, but it's not your job to come to a foreign country and tell people how their dogs should be handled.
rainman3277

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mix1 wrote:
rainman3277 wrote:

small acts of kindness or almost always selfishly motivated. that's why they are small. just enough to relieve your guilt.

@Scorpion: When it comes to helping animals, you're always going to have a few making fun of it; it makes them feel manly. .

What an ignorant statement. I know loads of 'manly' guys who love dogs, myself included. I've visited shelters in korea and participated in fund raisers for sheltered animals and it hasn't derailed my life in the slightest. But posting about give a sole dog a bone being a small act of kindness is about the laziest kindness and totally emotionally self serving. Should be titled smallest act of kindness, and that's why the poster is not being applauded by many. This kindness is so small 90% wouldn't even think about it. They would just do it and forget it. Like feeding the pigeons.
kz626

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probable that a dog being tied out like that is either livestock, as someone else has already said, or a guard dog. In the event that it's a guard dog, you're completely messing everything up for the owner by teaching it to be friendly toward strangers. That's just going to result in the dog either being dumped at a shelter (or in the street) and replaced, or the guard dog will suddenly become a livestock dog since it's not doing its job.
It's possible- I suppose not probable since we are in Korea and things are different here- but, POSSIBLE, that the dog does have a meal schedule and you just don't see it being fed or taken inside or whatever. There's actually a big Jindo in a house nearby who is left outside occasionally and barks at people passing by; but, he isn't there all the time, he's a guard dog and I've seen him inside through a window too. I guess if you only saw him outside on his lead you'd assume he was neglected or something but it's not the case. People in Korea don't normally keep big dogs for family pets, they have household functions- keep people away, keep stray cats and dogs away, catch rats, whatever. Some dogs are working dogs and they're kept to perform their job, even if that job means sitting outside and growling to intimidate trespassers. It might not be considered ethical or whatever, but, that's how it is.

You should either approach the owner and offer to buy the dog so you can take care of it as you see fit, or leave it alone. It's not your dog, and for all you know you're messing things up with its training and meals. I completely understand that you're feeding it out of kindness, but I'm guessing the owners might not appreciate it and that could result in bad news for the dog. It's perfectly normal for dogs- especially big male Jindos- to spend 80% of their lives outside, watching the house. It's just what they do here.
Mix1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rainman3277 wrote:
Mix1 wrote:
rainman3277 wrote:

@Scorpion: When it comes to helping animals, you're always going to have a few making fun of it; it makes them feel manly. .

What an ignorant statement. I know loads of 'manly' guys who love dogs, myself included. I've visited shelters in korea and participated in fund raisers for sheltered animals and it hasn't derailed my life in the slightest. But posting about give a sole dog a bone being a small act of kindness is about the laziest kindness and totally emotionally self serving. Should be titled smallest act of kindness, and that's why the poster is not being applauded by many. This kindness is so small 90% wouldn't even think about it. They would just do it and forget it. Like feeding the pigeons.

So, do you want a medal? Presumably, you've done a little more for dogs than the OP, good for you. Now you're being sanctimonious and saying he's not doing enough. Whatever. You could have been cool in explaining your point to him, but instead you chose to be a jerk and make jokes deriding him.

As for the 'manly' thing, if you can't see that side of it, that's the ignorant part. Despite what you've done for dogs, the main point still stands. You might consider yourself manly, but usually your type of actions are met with derision from plenty here who love to joke about dog soup, etc.

Animal lovers hating on other animal lovers. Hilarious.
Mix1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sublunari wrote:
Caring for these poor animals by buying meat that has been harvested from other poor animals is kind of ridiculous. If you feel bad about the stray cats, the chained-up dogs, the boshintang, and you're still eating meat, you are a hypocrite. Donate your time or money to animal shelters and/or convert to vegetarianism if you really care about the horrific way animals are treated here in Korea and around the world. Anything less is slacktivism.

Black and white argument here; convert to vegetarianism or any action you do is ridiculous. The animal shelters also buy food made from other animals. No way around that.
ewlandon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you really care about the animals you will go around the neighborhood teaching the local dogs and cats how to eat a vegan meal.
ejyanaika

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

while in daejeon last spring, walking back to the apartment, i could hear someone beating a dog to death. I've heard lots of stories from koreans and americans here that if you get into any kind of trouble, normally it's the foreigner that get's the bottom end of it.

So while it was too late, as it was 2 or 4 swings, and then it stopped. I started making some phone calls to ask about the legality of it. It was a pen between a park and a parking garage. There was no apartment or house. Just a makeshift pen to hold dogs(for them to eat? or to sell dog meat?).

Everyone told me that no matter what, the law wouldn't be on my side. I believe the korean person i met/asked called the police for me about the situation. But then again she may have been hesistant about it. So i just wore a hoody and tore everything down and unchained the dogs. I was not going to have another night of listening to a dog getting beaten to death.

Regardless if it's animals, i see it often with people here too. Someone falls, or there is a situation on the subway, and no one does anything. The apathy boggles me. But there are times when you do see those random acts of kindness and it's really touching.

One example: An elderly man getting on the bus his card didn't work and he didn't have the cash, so the bus driver yelled at him to get off, but a young girl(college student?) pulled money from her wallet and handed it to him. It really surprised me.
sublunari

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mix1 wrote:
sublunari wrote:

Black and white argument here; convert to vegetarianism or any action you do is ridiculous. The animal shelters also buy food made from other animals. No way around that.

Is all dog food really made from other animals? I suppose the best thing to do would be to neuter the dogs, then.
ejyanaika

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

double post?

Last edited by ejyanaika on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scorpion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that what I'm advocating is a small thing. That's why the thread is titled"small acts" of kindness to Korea's dogs. I'm not pretending I'm doing anything grand. It is a very small thing, but it makes a big difference to the poor dog. You can take my word on that! It's the highlight of his day. When he sees me approaching with a can of tuna or some meat he can barely contain himself. It does make a difference. For those of you who help at shelters or contribute financially, that's briliant. You have my respect and gratitude. Thank you kindly for doing what you are doing. But not all of circumstances permit us to do that. (I, for example, live in the boonies. ) Also, there are millions of neglected dogs in Korea that will never set foot in a shelter. They spend their life tied up on a two foot leash. Should we simply ignore them because they aren't in a shelter? Some here clearly mock these small gestures of compassion. But for the poor creatures a couple of sausages is like Christmas morning.

It is emphatically not the same as 'feeding the birds'. That's just stupid. For one thing, people feed the birds mostly for their own entertainment. It's the height of cynicism to suggest that I am doing this for my entertainment. Why then did I start this thread? So others can do small kindnesses to dogs 'for my entertainment'' Rolling Eyes .Secondly, the birds can take care of themselves. The dog tied up for its entire life cannot.

I will continue doing small kindnesses where I can. Hopefully others do too. There are millions of neglected dogs in Korea that wish they would.

Regards,
Scorpion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: