Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is the worst job ad you have seen?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: What is the worst job ad you have seen? Reply with quote

Beat this:

English teacher for Part-time

Here is Gyroung-si where is near Daejeon.

We need teacher for 2013/01/02~ 2013/01/04

Here is Enlgish Library and you need teach students Speaking and Writing.

And we don't have much students now. So, it must be simple and easy.

We don't mind native speaker or not.

hourly wage is 4600 won per/hour.

You can think salary is cheap. But, we don't have students and you will have lots of free time during the work.

If you have interesting, Please contact me
Paddycakes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which university was that for?
creeper1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: confused Reply with quote

I wonder why anyone would want to work for the grand total of two days.
??!!!
ajuma

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There might be a few D3 folks out there that would jump at this job...as illegal as it is. And I think it's for 2 months, not 2 days.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wage offered (4600) is under minimum wage (4850). 3D workers would jump at the chance to do something illegal for less than minimum wage? I hope not. But you may be right.
ajuma

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of 3D workers ARE illegal. Most work from Monday to Friday, 12 hours a day and half day on Saturday...all for a princely sum of 1.5 to 1.7. This job might be right up their alley...depending on the hours.

I can see a 3D guy working a 12 hour night shift and going in to make extra money at this place.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3D dudes can speak English? How well do you think? Aren't you surprised the 학원 owner wouldn't round up to ₩5,000 per hour? How much do you think the parents are paying per hour to send their kids to the academy? Maybe the 원장님 is passing off non-native speakers as native speakers (very common in the hagwon industry I heard, and part of the reason the job market is getting so bad for us real native speakers).
ajuma

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you compare the "random English" of Koreans to the "random English" of 3D workers, you'd be surprised to find that 3D workers often come out on top.

Do you actually KNOW any 3D workers?
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The worst job ads are usually from recruiters;

Great Schools

Great Locations

Excellent working conditions..

blah blah blah

You can usually tell after about 5 seconds that the ads have nothing to

do with reality and everything to do with 'bait and switch'.
cheolsu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Workers from India and the Philippines typically speak English reasonably well, as do those from Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Nepal.
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajuma wrote:
A lot of 3D workers ARE illegal. Most work from Monday to Friday, 12 hours a day and half day on Saturday...all for a princely sum of 1.5 to 1.7. This job might be right up their alley...depending on the hours.

I can see a 3D guy working a 12 hour night shift and going in to make extra money at this place.

That wage goes very far in their home countries. They can probably buy a house back home for $50,000. Relative to the cost of housing in our home countries, they have more reason to work here than we do.

And if those workers had the right to work in our countries they sure wouldn't be here. I think they are puzzled at why we are here.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$50k will get you a really nice house out in the provinces of the Philippines or Thailand.

I paid about 1/2 that for a custom built, 4-bedroom house on 5 hectares in the Philippines. It'll cost about that for a new, 3-bedroom house in a gated subdivision in cities like Cebu.

New houses, outside of BKK, Phuket or Pattaya can be had for about $40k in Thailand.

It makes lots of sense for other Asian workers to take those jobs, even at 1/2 that wage (800k is still common enough) they are still money ahead (average wages in the Philippines are about $40/week in the NCR and $25/week out in the provinces.

Even in Thailand, a certified teacher (education degree) only makes about $100/week.

edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think they are puzzled at why we are here.

Me too some of the time. There was a guy on another thread feeling sorry for himself because he couldn't learn enough Korean to become a citizen here. And him presumably coming from the richest country in the world. Strange.
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since they specifically stated that you don't need to be a native English speaker, it's clear that they're willing to hire anyone willing to take the job. That ad isn't really meant for you and me. It's meant for someone from India or the Philippines. The number of foreign wives (mail order brides, more-or-less) is on the rise. A foreign housewife who can't speak much Korea yet would probably jump at that job opportunity.

I doubt that a foreign 3D worker would take it as something on the side. Most of them get paid better than that (whether they're here legally or illegally).
creeper1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: prpba Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:
I think they are puzzled at why we are here.

Me too some of the time. There was a guy on another thread feeling sorry for himself because he couldn't learn enough Korean to become a citizen here. And him presumably coming from the richest country in the world. Strange.

It's quite simple really. He probably doesn't have anything to offer any employer in his home country.

He probably would have to pay huge amounts of money he doesn't have for healthcare (see the movies "sicko")

There are plenty of poor people even in so called "rich" countries.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: